The success story of Spanish suburban railways: determinants of demand and policy implications
Ridership of suburban railway services in Spain has experienced a 30% increase during the 1990s. This paper carries out the estimation of an aggregate demand function using panel data from eleven urban areas. Among other results, short- and long-run elasticities with respect to both prices and a quality measure are obtained. These results are used to discuss the policy alternatives that RENFE faces in order to increase its revenue in the future.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 7 (2000)
Issue (Month): 4 (October)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/30473/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/supportfaq.cws_home/regional|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Richard Voith, 1994.
"Fares, service levels, and demographics: what determines commuter rail ridership in the long run?,"
94-21, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia.
- Voith, Richard, 1997. "Fares, Service Levels, and Demographics: What Determines Commuter Rail Ridership in the Long Run?," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 41(2), pages 176-197, March.
- Voith, Richard, 1991. "The long-run elasticity of demand for commuter rail transportation," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(3), pages 360-372, November.
- Coto-Millán, Pablo & Baños-Pino, José & Inglada, Vicente, 1997. "Marshallian demands of intercity passenger transport in Spain: 1980-1992. An economic analysis," Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review, Elsevier, vol. 33(2), pages 79-96, June.
- Felix R FitzRoy & Ian Smith, 1997. "Passenger Rail Demand in 14 Western European Countries: A Comparative Time Series Study," CRIEFF Discussion Papers 9724, Centre for Research into Industry, Enterprise, Finance and the Firm.
- FitzRoy, Felix & Smith, Ian, 1995. "The demand for rail transport in European countries," Transport Policy, Elsevier, vol. 2(3), pages 153-158, July.
- Felix Fitzroy & Ian Smith, 1993. "The Demand for Public Transport: Some Estimates from Zurich," CRIEFF Discussion Papers 9308, Centre for Research into Industry, Enterprise, Finance and the Firm.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:trapol:v:7:y:2000:i:4:p:295-302. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.