The success story of Spanish suburban railways: determinants of demand and policy implications
Ridership of suburban railway services in Spain has experienced a 30% increase during the 1990s. This paper carries out the estimation of an aggregate demand function using panel data from eleven urban areas. Among other results, short- and long-run elasticities with respect to both prices and a quality measure are obtained. These results are used to discuss the policy alternatives that RENFE faces in order to increase its revenue in the future.
Volume (Year): 7 (2000)
Issue (Month): 4 (October)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/30473/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/supportfaq.cws_home/regional|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Richard Voith, 1994.
"Fares, service levels, and demographics: what determines commuter rail ridership in the long run?,"
94-21, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia.
- Voith, Richard, 1997. "Fares, Service Levels, and Demographics: What Determines Commuter Rail Ridership in the Long Run?," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 41(2), pages 176-197, March.
- Felix R FitzRoy & Ian Smith, 1997. "Passenger Rail Demand in 14 Western European Countries: A Comparative Time Series Study," CRIEFF Discussion Papers 9724, Centre for Research into Industry, Enterprise, Finance and the Firm.
- Voith, Richard, 1991. "The long-run elasticity of demand for commuter rail transportation," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(3), pages 360-372, November.
- Felix Fitzroy & Ian Smith, 1993. "The Demand for Public Transport: Some Estimates from Zurich," CRIEFF Discussion Papers 9308, Centre for Research into Industry, Enterprise, Finance and the Firm.
- Coto-Millán, Pablo & Baños-Pino, José & Inglada, Vicente, 1997. "Marshallian demands of intercity passenger transport in Spain: 1980-1992. An economic analysis," Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review, Elsevier, vol. 33(2), pages 79-96, June.
- FitzRoy, Felix & Smith, Ian, 1995. "The demand for rail transport in European countries," Transport Policy, Elsevier, vol. 2(3), pages 153-158, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:trapol:v:7:y:2000:i:4:p:295-302. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.