Impacts of information technology and urbanization on less-than-truckload freight flows in China: An analysis considering spatial effects
Understanding the relationship between socioeconomic factors and the Less-than-Truckload (LTL) freight flows is important for transportation planners and policy makers. This paper explores the impacts of information technology, urbanization on LTL freight flows by using a spatial autocorrelation model with freight flow data from a leading LTL company in China. The results show that all IT variables and urbanization variables have positive effects on freight flows. Distance, as expected, is negatively correlated with the freight flow volume. The application of the spatial autocorrelation model further shows that origin dependence, destination dependence and OD dependence are all significant, justifying the consideration of spatial interdependence. Finally, policy implications are discussed based on the estimated results. These findings shed light on the impacts of internet and urbanization on freight transportation, and contribute to the design of freight policies and the development of the LTL industry.
Volume (Year): 92 (2016)
Issue (Month): C ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/547/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/supportfaq.cws_home/regional|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Celik, H. Murat & Guldmann, Jean-Michel, 2002. "Spatial interaction modeling of interregional commodity flows," ERSA conference papers ersa02p121, European Regional Science Association.
- James LeSage & Carlos Llano-Verduras, 2014. "Forecasting spatially dependent origin and destination commodity flows," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 47(4), pages 1543-1562, December.
- Zhang, Ming & Mu, Hailin & Li, Gang & Ning, Yadong, 2009. "Forecasting the transport energy demand based on PLSR method in China," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 34(9), pages 1396-1400.
- Evert-Jan Visser & Martin Lanzendorf, 2004. "Mobility And Accessibility Effects Of B2c E-Commerce: A Literature Review," Tijdschrift voor Economische en Sociale Geografie, Royal Dutch Geographical Society KNAG, vol. 95(2), pages 189-205, April.
- Bennathan, Esra*Fraser, Julie*Thompson, Louis S., 1992. "What determines demand for freight transport?," Policy Research Working Paper Series 998, The World Bank.
- James Paul Lesage & Wolfgang Polasek, 2008.
"Incorporating Transportation Network Structure in Spatial Econometric Models of Commodity Flows,"
Spatial Economic Analysis,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 3(2), pages 225-245.
- LeSage, James P. & Polasek, Wolfgang, 2006. "Incorporating Transportation Network Structure in Spatial Econometric Models of Commodity Flows," Economics Series 188, Institute for Advanced Studies.
- Coughlin, Cletus C & Terza, Joseph V & Arromdee, Vachira, 1991. "State Characteristics and the Location of Foreign Direct Investment within the United States," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 73(4), pages 675-683, November.
- David Novak & Christopher Hodgdon & Feng Guo & Lisa Aultman-Hall, 2011. "Nationwide Freight Generation Models: A Spatial Regression Approach," Networks and Spatial Economics, Springer, vol. 11(1), pages 23-41, March.
- Orit Rotem-Mindali & Jesse Weltevreden, 2013. "Transport effects of e-commerce: what can be learned after years of research?," Transportation, Springer, vol. 40(5), pages 867-885, September.
- Gunasekaran, A. & Ngai, E. W. T., 2004. "Information systems in supply chain integration and management," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 159(2), pages 269-295, December.
- James P. LeSage & Christine Thomas-Agnan, 2015. "Interpreting Spatial Econometric Origin-Destination Flow Models," Journal of Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 55(2), pages 188-208, March.
- Li, Gang & Yang, Hongjiao & Sun, Linyan & Sohal, Amrik S., 2009. "The impact of IT implementation on supply chain integration and performance," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 120(1), pages 125-138, July.
- James P. LeSage & R. Kelley Pace, 2008. "Spatial Econometric Modeling Of Origin-Destination Flows," Journal of Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 48(5), pages 941-967.
- Zhou, Yiwei & Wang, Xiaokun (Cara), 2014. "Explore the relationship between online shopping and shopping trips: An analysis with the 2009 NHTS data," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 70(C), pages 1-9.
- Wong, Christina W.Y. & Lai, Kee-hung & Bernroider, Edward W.N., 2015. "The performance of contingencies of supply chain information integration: The roles of product and market complexity," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 165(C), pages 1-11. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:transa:v:92:y:2016:i:c:p:12-25. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.