The impact of IT implementation on supply chain integration and performance
The implementation of information technology (IT) for supply chain management (SCM) is becoming more and more important in the context of an increasingly globalized and competitive economy. IT, by providing timely, accurate, and reliable information, has greatly improved supply chain performance (SCP). This study aims to investigate the relationship among three factors: IT implementation, supply chain integration (SCI), and SCP. It presents a conceptual structure model in which IT implementation can affect SCP either directly or indirectly, via SCI. Data collected from 182 Chinese companies are analyzed using structural equation modeling. The results suggest that IT implementation has no direct effect on SCP, but instead that it enhances SCP through its positive effect on SCI. These findings highlight the importance for companies to promote SCI and implement IT as an enabler.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Olhager, Jan & Selldin, Erik, 2004. "Supply chain management survey of Swedish manufacturing firms," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 89(3), pages 353-361, June.
- Kelle, Peter & Akbulut, Asli, 2005. "The role of ERP tools in supply chain information sharing, cooperation, and cost optimization," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 93(1), pages 41-52, January.
- Sila Çetinkaya & Chung-Yee Lee, 2000. "Stock Replenishment and Shipment Scheduling for Vendor-Managed Inventory Systems," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 46(2), pages 217-232, February.
- Susan Cohen Kulp & Hau L. Lee & Elie Ofek, 2004. "Manufacturer Benefits from Information Integration with Retail Customers," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 50(4), pages 431-444, April.
- Sarv Devaraj & Rajiv Kohli, 2003. "Performance Impacts of Information Technology: Is Actual Usage the Missing Link?," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 49(3), pages 273-289, March.
- Yossi Aviv, 2001. "The Effect of Collaborative Forecasting on Supply Chain Performance," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 47(10), pages 1326-1343, October.
- Hau L. Lee & V. Padmanabhan & Seungjin Whang, 1997. "Information Distortion in a Supply Chain: The Bullwhip Effect," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 43(4), pages 546-558, April.
- Greg M. Allenby & Peter E. Rossi, 1991. "Quality Perceptions and Asymmetric Switching Between Brands," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 10(3), pages 185-204.
- Seggie, Steven H. & Kim, Daekwan & Cavusgil, S.Tamer, 2006. "Do supply chain IT alignment and supply chain interfirm system integration impact upon brand equity and firm performance?," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 59(8), pages 887-895, August.
- Koh, S.C. Lenny & Saad, Sameh M., 2006. "Managing uncertainty in ERP-controlled manufacturing environments in SMEs," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 101(1), pages 109-127, May.
- Zhang, Zhe & Lee, Matthew K.O. & Huang, Pei & Zhang, Liang & Huang, Xiaoyuan, 2005. "A framework of ERP systems implementation success in China: An empirical study," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 98(1), pages 56-80, October.
- N. Venkatraman, 1989. "Strategic Orientation of Business Enterprises: The Construct, Dimensionality, and Measurement," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 35(8), pages 942-962, August.
- Fosso Wamba, Samuel & Lefebvre, Louis A. & Bendavid, Ygal & Lefebvre, Élisabeth, 2008. "Exploring the impact of RFID technology and the EPC network on mobile B2B eCommerce: A case study in the retail industry," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 112(2), pages 614-629, April.
- Anandhi S. Bharadwaj & Sundar G. Bharadwaj & Benn R. Konsynski, 1999. "Information Technology Effects on Firm Performance as Measured by Tobin's q," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 45(7), pages 1008-1024, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:proeco:v:120:y:2009:i:1:p:125-138. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.