Measuring unobserved prices using the structural time-series model: The case of cycling
This study presents a means of determining a historic (generalised cost based) price index for cycling in the UK for the period 1949-2006 using annual demand data. By specifying demand as a function of generalised price and income and then applying a structural time-series model to elucidate the unobserved component of prices (while controlling for observed income levels), it is illustrated that the role of prices in influencing demand is non-trivial. Over the sample period price responses generally influence demand for cycling to a greater extent than income effects.
Volume (Year): 44 (2010)
Issue (Month): 4 (May)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/547/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/supportfaq.cws_home/regional|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Peter Fix & John Loomis & Rick Eichhorn, 2000. "Endogenously chosen travel costs and the travel cost model: an application to mountain biking at Moab, Utah," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 32(10), pages 1227-1231.
- Nankervis, Max, 1999. "The effect of weather and climate on bicycle commuting," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 33(6), pages 417-431, August.
- Stanley, John K. & Hensher, David A. & Loader, Chris, 2011. "Road transport and climate change: Stepping off the greenhouse gas," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 45(10), pages 1020-1030.
- Frees,Edward W., 2004. "Longitudinal and Panel Data," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521535380, February.
- Rietveld, Piet & Daniel, Vanessa, 2004. "Determinants of bicycle use: do municipal policies matter?," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 38(7), pages 531-550, August.
- Bergström, A. & Magnusson, R., 2003. "Potential of transferring car trips to bicycle during winter," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 37(8), pages 649-666, October.
- Steg, Linda, 2005. "Car use: lust and must. Instrumental, symbolic and affective motives for car use," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 39(2-3), pages 147-162.
- Frees,Edward W., 2004. "Longitudinal and Panel Data," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521828284, February.
- Karl Pichelmann & Andreas Ulrich Schuh, 1997. "The NAIRU-Concept: A Few Remarks," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 178, OECD Publishing.
- Gatersleben, Birgitta & Appleton, Katherine M., 2007. "Contemplating cycling to work: Attitudes and perceptions in different stages of change," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 41(4), pages 302-312, May.