Analysis of activity duration using the Puget sound transportation panel
In this paper, we extend previous analyses of temporal effects by examining the factors associated with activity generation and duration over four waves of the Puget sound transportation panel survey (PSTPS). A Cox proportional hazards model was specified for each of five activities: visiting, appointment, free time, personal business, and shopping. For each activity, the duration times are modeled with an emphasis on examining important higher order interactions. The results suggest that activity durations have changed significantly over the survey period. Many of the differences in activity durations over time were significant, and often associated with increasing numbers of children in the household and higher order interactions between sex and the sequencing of activities.
Volume (Year): 34 (2000)
Issue (Month): 8 (November)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/547/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/supportfaq.cws_home/regional|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Heckman, James & Singer, Burton, 1984. "A Method for Minimizing the Impact of Distributional Assumptions in Econometric Models for Duration Data," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 52(2), pages 271-320, March.
- Meyer, Bruce D, 1990.
"Unemployment Insurance and Unemployment Spells,"
Econometric Society, vol. 58(4), pages 757-782, July.
- Bruce D. Meyer, 1988. "Unemployment Insurance And Unemployment Spells," NBER Working Papers 2546, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Han, Aaron & Hausman, Jerry A, 1990. "Flexible Parametric Estimation of Duration and Competing Risk Models," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 5(1), pages 1-28, January-M.
- Bhat, Chandra R., 1996. "A hazard-based duration model of shopping activity with nonparametric baseline specification and nonparametric control for unobserved heterogeneity," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 30(3), pages 189-207, June.
- Bhat, Chandra R., 1996. "A generalized multiple durations proportional hazard model with an application to activity behavior during the evening work-to-home commute," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 30(6), pages 465-480, December.
- White, Halbert, 1982. "Maximum Likelihood Estimation of Misspecified Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(1), pages 1-25, January. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:transa:v:34:y:2000:i:8:p:607-624. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.