A hazard-based duration model of shopping activity with nonparametric baseline specification and nonparametric control for unobserved heterogeneity
Activity duration is an important component of the activity participation behavior of individuals, and therefore, an important determinant of individual travel behavior. In this paper, we examine the factors affecting shopping activity duration during the return home from work and develop a comprehensive methodological framework to estimate a stochastic hazard-based duration model from grouped (interval-level) failure data. The framework accommodates a nonparametric baseline hazard distribution and allows for nonparametric control of unobserved heterogeneity, while incorporating the effects of covariates. The framework also facilitates statistical testing of alternative parametric assumptions on the baseline hazard distribution and on the unobserved heterogeneity distribution. Our empirical results indicate significant effects of unobserved heterogeneity on shopping activity duration of individuals. Further, we find that parametric forms for the baseline hazard and unobserved heterogeneity distributions are inadequate, and are likely to lead to substantial biases in covariate effects and hazard dynamics. The empirical results also provide insights into the determinants of shopping activity duration during the commute trip.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 30 (1996)
Issue (Month): 3 (June)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/548/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/supportfaq.cws_home/regional|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Meyer, Bruce D, 1990.
"Unemployment Insurance and Unemployment Spells,"
Econometric Society, vol. 58(4), pages 757-82, July.
- Han, Aaron & Hausman, Jerry A, 1990. "Flexible Parametric Estimation of Duration and Competing Risk Models," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 5(1), pages 1-28, January-M.
- Bhat, Chandra R. & Koppelman, Frank S., 1993. "A conceptual framework of individual activity program generation," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 27(6), pages 433-446, November.
- Dipak C. Jain & Naufel J. Vilcassim, 1991. "Investigating Household Purchase Timing Decisions: A Conditional Hazard Function Approach," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 10(1), pages 1-23.
- Heckman, James & Singer, Burton, 1984. "A Method for Minimizing the Impact of Distributional Assumptions in Econometric Models for Duration Data," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 52(2), pages 271-320, March.
- Lancaster, Tony, 1985. "Generalised residuals and heterogeneous duration models : With applications to the Weilbull model," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 28(1), pages 155-169, April.
- Flinn, C. & Heckman, J., 1982.
"New methods for analyzing structural models of labor force dynamics,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 115-168, January.
- James J. Heckman & Christopher J. Flinn, 1982. "New Methods for Analyzing Structural Models of Labor Force Dynamics," NBER Working Papers 0856, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kiefer, Nicholas M, 1988. "Economic Duration Data and Hazard Functions," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 26(2), pages 646-79, June.
- Uncles, Mark D., 1987. "A beta-logistic model of mode choice: Goodness of fit and intertemporal dependence," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 21(3), pages 195-205, June.
- Sueyoshi, Glenn T., 1992. "Semiparametric proportional hazards estimation of competing risks models with time-varying covariates," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 51(1-2), pages 25-58.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:transb:v:30:y:1996:i:3:p:189-207. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.