The use of spatial separation in the measurement of transportation accessibility
In a recent article, Allen et al. (1993) [Transpn Res. 27B, 439-449] introduce what they call a new transportation accessibility measure. The present paper raises some questions about the history of the measure and its novelty. It is argued that accessibility indices have a longer history than the authors suggest and that the proposed index of accessibility, being the average distance among a set of locations, is neither new, nor worthy of the claims made for it. In addition, some questions are raised about the associated empirical results.
Volume (Year): 29 (1995)
Issue (Month): 6 (November)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/547/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/supportfaq.cws_home/regional|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- M Chisholm, 1985. "Accessibility and Regional Development in Britain: Some Questions Arising from Data on Freight Flows," Environment and Planning A, , vol. 17(7), pages 963-980, July.
- Allen, W. Bruce & Liu, Dong & Singer, Scott, 1993. "Accesibility measures of U.S. metropolitan areas," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 27(6), pages 439-449, December.
- D Martin & H C W L Williams, 1992. "Market-area analysis and accessibility to primary health-care centres," Environment and Planning A, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 24(7), pages 1009-1019, July.
- J W Weibull, 1980.
"On the Numerical Measurement of Accessibility,"
Environment and Planning A,
, vol. 12(1), pages 53-67, January.
- J W Weibull, 1980. "On the numerical measurement of accessibility," Environment and Planning A, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 12(1), pages 53-67, January.
- M Chisholm, 1985. "Accessibility and regional development in Britain: some questions arising from data on freight flows," Environment and Planning A, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 17(7), pages 963-980, July.
- R W Vickerman, 1974. "Accessibility, attraction, and potential: a review of some concepts and their use in determining mobility," Environment and Planning A, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 6(6), pages 675-691, June.
- R W Vickerman, 1974. "Accessibility, Attraction, and Potential: A Review of Some Concepts and Their Use in Determining Mobility," Environment and Planning A, , vol. 6(6), pages 675-691, December.
- J BrÃ¶cker, 1989. "How to Eliminate Certain Defects of the Potential Formula," Environment and Planning A, , vol. 21(6), pages 817-830, June. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:transa:v:29:y:1995:i:6:p:421-427. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.