The use of spatial separation in the measurement of transportation accessibility
In a recent article, Allen et al. (1993) [Transpn Res. 27B, 439-449] introduce what they call a new transportation accessibility measure. The present paper raises some questions about the history of the measure and its novelty. It is argued that accessibility indices have a longer history than the authors suggest and that the proposed index of accessibility, being the average distance among a set of locations, is neither new, nor worthy of the claims made for it. In addition, some questions are raised about the associated empirical results.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 29 (1995)
Issue (Month): 6 (November)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/547/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/supportfaq.cws_home/regional|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- M Chisholm, 1985. "Accessibility and regional development in Britain: some questions arising from data on freight flows," Environment and Planning A, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 17(7), pages 963-980, July.
- R W Vickerman, 1974. "Accessibility, attraction, and potential: a review of some concepts and their use in determining mobility," Environment and Planning A, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 6(6), pages 675-691, June.
- J W Weibull, 1980. "On the numerical measurement of accessibility," Environment and Planning A, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 12(1), pages 53-67, January.
- Allen, W. Bruce & Liu, Dong & Singer, Scott, 1993. "Accesibility measures of U.S. metropolitan areas," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 27(6), pages 439-449, December.
- D Martin & H C W L Williams, 1992. "Market-area analysis and accessibility to primary health-care centres," Environment and Planning A, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 24(7), pages 1009-1019, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:transa:v:29:y:1995:i:6:p:421-427. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.