Reconciling unsatisfying tourism experiences: Message type effectiveness and the role of counterfactual thinking
Download full text from publisher
References listed on IDEAS
- Gruen, Thomas W. & Osmonbekov, Talai & Czaplewski, Andrew J., 2006. "eWOM: The impact of customer-to-customer online know-how exchange on customer value and loyalty," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 59(4), pages 449-456, April.
- Mao, Wen & Oppewal, Harmen, 2010. "Did I choose the right university? How post-purchase information affects cognitive dissonance, satisfaction and perceived service quality," Australasian marketing journal, Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 28-35.
- Carolyn Bonifield & Catherine Cole, 2007. "Affective responses to service failure: Anger, regret, and retaliatory versus conciliatory responses," Marketing Letters, Springer, vol. 18(1), pages 85-99, June.
- Veasna, Sou & Wu, Wann-Yih & Huang, Chu-Hsin, 2013. "The impact of destination source credibility on destination satisfaction: The mediating effects of destination attachment and destination image," Tourism Management, Elsevier, vol. 36(C), pages 511-526.
- Bone, Paula Fitzgerald, 1995. "Word-of-mouth effects on short-term and long-term product judgments," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 32(3), pages 213-223, March.
- Elizabeth Cowley, 2008. "The Perils of Hedonic Editing," Journal of Consumer Research, Oxford University Press, vol. 35(1), pages 71-84, January.
- Richard H. Thaler, 2008. "Mental Accounting and Consumer Choice," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 27(1), pages 15-25, 01-02.
- Zeelenberg, M. & Pieters, R., 2004. "Beyond valence in customer dissatisfaction : A review and new findings on behavioral responses to regret and disappointment in failed services," Other publications TiSEM 7bfb4aa9-cba7-4786-850d-1, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Khim-Yong Goh & Cheng-Suang Heng & Zhijie Lin, 2013. "Social Media Brand Community and Consumer Behavior: Quantifying the Relative Impact of User- and Marketer-Generated Content," Information Systems Research, INFORMS, vol. 24(1), pages 88-107, March.
- Rob Eisinga & Manfred Grotenhuis & Ben Pelzer, 2013. "The reliability of a two-item scale: Pearson, Cronbach, or Spearman-Brown?," International Journal of Public Health, Springer;Swiss School of Public Health (SSPH+), vol. 58(4), pages 637-642, August.
- Min, Kyeong Sam & Martin, Drew & Jung, Jae Min, 2013. "Designing advertising campaigns for destinations with mixed images: Using visitor campaign goal messages to motivate visitors," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 66(6), pages 759-764.
- Byun, Jaemun & Jang, SooCheong (Shawn), 2015. "Effective destination advertising: Matching effect between advertising language and destination type," Tourism Management, Elsevier, vol. 50(C), pages 31-40.
- Krishnamurthy, Parthasarathy & Sivaraman, Anuradha, 2002. "Counterfactual Thinking and Advertising Responses," Journal of Consumer Research, Oxford University Press, vol. 28(4), pages 650-658, March.
- Gary Akehurst, 2009. "User generated content: the use of blogs for tourism organisations and tourism consumers," Service Business, Springer;Pan-Pacific Business Association, vol. 3(1), pages 51-61, March.
- Wilkinson, Sue & Kitzinger, Celia, 2000. "Thinking differently about thinking positive: a discursive approach to cancer patients' talk," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 50(6), pages 797-811, March.
- Smith, Andrew N. & Fischer, Eileen & Yongjian, Chen, 2012. "How Does Brand-related User-generated Content Differ across YouTube, Facebook, and Twitter?," Journal of Interactive Marketing, Elsevier, vol. 26(2), pages 102-113.
- Liu, Shixiong & Wen, Xiaoshan & Wei, Lina & Zhao, Weihong, 2013. "Advertising persuasion in China: Using Mandarin or Cantonese?," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 66(12), pages 2383-2389.
- Aimee Drolet & Patti Williams & Loraine Lau-Gesk, 2007. "Age-related differences in responses to affective vs. rational ads for hedonic vs. utilitarian products," Marketing Letters, Springer, vol. 18(4), pages 211-221, December.
- Zeelenberg, Marcel & Pieters, Rik, 2004. "Beyond valence in customer dissatisfaction: A review and new findings on behavioral responses to regret and disappointment in failed services," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 57(4), pages 445-455, April.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Diandian Xiang & Leinan Zhang & Qiuyan Tao & Yonggui Wang & Shuang Ma, 2019. "Informational or emotional appeals in crowdfunding message strategy: an empirical investigation of backers’ support decisions," Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, Springer, vol. 47(6), pages 1046-1063, November.
- Zajadacz Alina & Minkwitz Aleksandra, 2020. "Using Social Media Data to Plan for Tourism," Quaestiones Geographicae, Sciendo, vol. 39(3), pages 125-138, September.
- Wu, ChienHsing & Kao, Shu-Chen & Chiu, Hsin-Yi, 2019. "Determinants of discontinuous intention of attention to mobile instant message services," Journal of Retailing and Consumer Services, Elsevier, vol. 49(C), pages 219-230.
Most related itemsThese are the items that most often cite the same works as this one and are cited by the same works as this one.
- Demoulin, Nathalie & Willems, Kim, 2019.
"Servicescape irritants and customer satisfaction: The moderating role of shopping motives and involvement,"
Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 104(C), pages 295-306.
- Nathalie Demoulin & Kim Willems, 2019. "Servicescape irritants and customer satisfaction: The moderating role of shopping motives and involvement," Post-Print hal-02509395, HAL.
- Arora, Swapan Deep & Chakraborty, Anirban, 2021. "Intellectual structure of consumer complaining behavior (CCB) research: A bibliometric analysis," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 122(C), pages 60-74.
- Anna Kukla-Gryz & Joanna Tyrowicz & Michał Krawczyk, 2021.
"Digital piracy and the perception of price fairness: evidence from a field experiment,"
Journal of Cultural Economics, Springer;The Association for Cultural Economics International, vol. 45(1), pages 105-131, March.
- Michal Krawczyk & Joanna Tyrowicz & Anna Kukla-Gryz, 2019. "Digital piracy and the perception of price fairness. Evidence from a field experiment," GRAPE Working Papers 39, GRAPE Group for Research in Applied Economics.
- Romani, Simona & Grappi, Silvia & Dalli, Daniele, 2012. "Emotions that drive consumers away from brands: Measuring negative emotions toward brands and their behavioral effects," International Journal of Research in Marketing, Elsevier, vol. 29(1), pages 55-67.
- Sánchez-García, Isabel & Currás-Pérez, Rafael, 2011. "Effects of dissatisfaction in tourist services: The role of anger and regret," Tourism Management, Elsevier, vol. 32(6), pages 1397-1406.
- Gavin L. Fox & Stephen J. Lind, 2020. "A framework for viral marketing replication and mutation," AMS Review, Springer;Academy of Marketing Science, vol. 10(3), pages 206-222, December.
- McColl-Kennedy, Janet R. & Patterson, Paul G. & Smith, Amy K. & Brady, Michael K., 2009. "Customer Rage Episodes: Emotions, Expressions and Behaviors," Journal of Retailing, Elsevier, vol. 85(2), pages 222-237.
- Pauwels, Koen & Aksehirli, Zeynep & Lackman, Andrew, 2016. "Like the ad or the brand? Marketing stimulates different electronic word-of-mouth content to drive online and offline performance," International Journal of Research in Marketing, Elsevier, vol. 33(3), pages 639-655.
- Haithem Zourrig & Jean-Charles Chebat & Roy Toffoli & Alexandra Medina-Borja, 2014. "Customers’ coping with interpersonal conflicts in intra and inter-cultural service encounters," AMS Review, Springer;Academy of Marketing Science, vol. 4(1), pages 21-31, June.
- Alberto Lopez & Eva Guerra & Beatriz Gonzalez & Sergio Madero, 2020. "Consumer sentiments toward brands: the interaction effect between brand personality and sentiments on electronic word of mouth," Journal of Marketing Analytics, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 8(4), pages 203-223, December.
- Wedel, Michel & Bigné, Enrique & Zhang, Jie, 2020. "Virtual and augmented reality: Advancing research in consumer marketing," International Journal of Research in Marketing, Elsevier, vol. 37(3), pages 443-465.
- White, Allyn & Breazeale, Michael & Collier, Joel E., 2012. "The Effects of Perceived Fairness on Customer Responses to Retailer SST Push Policies," Journal of Retailing, Elsevier, vol. 88(2), pages 250-261.
- Tom Joonhwan Kim & Youjae Yi & Jongan Choi, 2020. "The boomerang effect of brand personality congruency in a product-harm crisis," Australian Journal of Management, Australian School of Business, vol. 45(4), pages 645-661, November.
- Florian Teleaba & Sorin Popescu & Marieta Olaru & Diana Pitic, 2021. "Risks of Observable and Unobservable Biases in Artificial Intelligence Predicting Consumer Choice," The AMFITEATRU ECONOMIC journal, Academy of Economic Studies - Bucharest, Romania, vol. 23(56), pages 102-102, February.
- Davvetas, Vasileios & Diamantopoulos, Adamantios, 2017. "“Regretting your brand-self?” The moderating role of consumer-brand identification on consumer responses to purchase regret," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 80(C), pages 218-227.
- Subhajit Bhattacharya, 2017. "Does corporate social responsibility contribute to strengthen brand equity? An empirical study," International Review on Public and Nonprofit Marketing, Springer;International Association of Public and Non-Profit Marketing, vol. 14(4), pages 513-533, December.
- Ayoung Suh & Mengjun Li, 2021. "Digital Tracing during the COVID-19 Pandemic: User Appraisal, Emotion, and Continuance Intention," Sustainability, MDPI, Open Access Journal, vol. 13(2), pages 1-17, January.
- S. Steenhaut & P. Van Kenhove, 2006. "The Emotional Experience of Guilt in Ethically Questionable Consumer Situations," Working Papers of Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, Ghent University, Belgium 06/381, Ghent University, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration.
- Hsieh, Jung-Kuei, 2020. "The effects of transforming mobile services into mobile promotions," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 121(C), pages 195-208.
- Luo, Jun & Dey, Bidit L. & Yalkin, Cagri & Sivarajah, Uthayasankar & Punjaisri, Khanyapuss & Huang, Yu-an & Yen, Dorothy A., 2020. "Millennial Chinese consumers' perceived destination brand value," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 116(C), pages 655-665.
More about this item
KeywordsDestination marketing; Post-trip experience; Post-purchase evaluation; Message effectiveness; Counterfactual thinking; Message appeal; Message authorship;
All these keywords.
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:touman:v:60:y:2017:i:c:p:233-243. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: . General contact details of provider: https://www.journals.elsevier.com/tourism-management .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: Catherine Liu (email available below). General contact details of provider: https://www.journals.elsevier.com/tourism-management .
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.