Dynamic factor demand models, productivity measurement, and rates of return: Theory and an empirical application to the US Bell System
Prucha and Nadiri (1982,1986,1988) introduced a methodology to estimate systems of dynamic factor demand that allows for considerable flexibility in both the choice of the functional form of the technology and the expectation formation process. This paper applies this methodology to estimate the production structure, and the demand for labor, materials, capital and R&D by the U.S. Bell System. The paper provides estimates for short-, intermediate- and long-run price and output elasticities of the inputs, as well as estimates on the rate of return on capital and R&D. The paper also discusses the issue of the measurement of technical change if the firm is in temporary rather than long-run equilibrium and the technology is not assumed to be linear homogeneous The paper provides estimates for input and output based technical change as well as for returns to scale. Furthermore, the paper gives a decomposition of the traditional measure of total factor productivity growth.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Morrison, Catherine J., 1986.
"Productivity measurement with non-static expectations and varying capacity utilization : An integrated approach,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 33(1-2), pages 51-74.
- Catherine J. Morrison, 1985. "Productivity Measurement with Nonstatic Expectations and Varying Capacity Utilization: An Integrated Approach," NBER Working Papers 1561, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Lars Peter Hansen & Thomas J. Sargent, 1980. "Linear rational expectations models for dynamically interrelated variables," Working Papers 135, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Ingmar R. Prucha & M. Ishaq Nadiri, 1982. "Formulation and Estimation of Dynamic Factor Demand Equations Under Non-Static Expectations: A Finite Horizon Model," NBER Technical Working Papers 0026, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Nadiri, M. Ishaq & Prucha, Ingmar R., 1982. "Formulation and Estimation of Dynamic Factor Demand Equations Under Non-Static Expectations: A Finite Horizon Model," Working Papers 82-22, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University.
- Hulten, Charles R., 1986. "Productivity change, capacity utilization, and the sources of efficiency growth," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 33(1-2), pages 31-50.
- Hansen, Lars Peter & Sargent, Thomas J., 1980. "Formulating and estimating dynamic linear rational expectations models," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 2(1), pages 7-46, May.
- Lars Peter Hansen & Thomas J. Sargent, 1979. "Formulating and estimating dynamic linear rational expectations models," Working Papers 127, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Pierre A. Mohnen & M. Ishaq Nadiri & Ingmar R. Prucha, 1984. "R&D, Production Structure, and Productivity Growth in the U.S., Japaneseand German Manufacturing Sectors," NBER Working Papers 1264, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Morrison, C. J. & Berndt, E. R., 1981. "Short-run labor productivity in a dynamic model," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 16(3), pages 339-365, August.
- Lau, Lawrence J., 1976. "A characterization of the normalized restricted profit function," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 12(1), pages 131-163, February.
- Bitros, George C & Kelejian, Harry H, 1976. "A Stochastic Control Approach to Factor Demand," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 17(3), pages 701-717, October.
- Bitros, George & Kelejian, Harry, 1974. "A Stochastic Control Approach to Factor Demand," Working Papers 74-02, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University.
- Kollintzas, Tryphon, 1986. "A non-recursive solution for the linear rational expectations model," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 10(1-2), pages 327-332, June.
- Caves, Douglas W & Christensen, Laurits R & Diewert, W Erwin, 1982. "Multilateral Comparisons of Output, Input, and Productivity Using Superlative Index Numbers," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 92(365), pages 73-86, March.
- Caves, Douglas W & Christensen, Laurits R & Diewert, W Erwin, 1982. "The Economic Theory of Index Numbers and the Measurement of Input, Output, and Productivity," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(6), pages 1393-1414, November.
- Nadiri, M Ishaq & Schankerman, M A, 1981. "Technical Change, Returns to Scale, and the Productivity Slowdown," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 71(2), pages 314-319, May.
- Epstein, Larry G. & Yatchew, Adonis J., 1985. "The empirical determination of technology and expectations : A simplified procedure," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 27(2), pages 235-258, February.
- Prucha, Ingmar R. & Nadiri, M. Ishaq, 1986. "A comparison of alternative methods for the estimation of dynamic factor demand models under non-static expectations," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 33(1-2), pages 187-211. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)