The Effects of Export, Technical change and Markup on Total Factor Productivity Growth: Evidence from Singapore's Electronics Industry
This paper illustrates a new technique to measure the effect of export demand on the conventional TFP growth index at the industry level. We apply the technique to Singapore’s electronics industry and find that rapid growth in exports accounts for most of the TFP growth in this industry.
|Date of creation:||2005|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 35 Stirling Highway, Crawley, W.A. 6009|
Phone: (08) 9380 2918
Fax: (08) 9380 1016
Web page: http://www.business.uwa.edu.au/school/disciplines/economics
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Nadiri, M. Ishaq & Prucha, Ingmar R., 1990.
"Dynamic factor demand models, productivity measurement, and rates of return: Theory and an empirical application to the US Bell System,"
Structural Change and Economic Dynamics,
Elsevier, vol. 1(2), pages 263-289, December.
- M. Ishaq Nadiri & Ingmar R. Prucha, 1989. "Dynamic Factor Demand Models, Productivity Measurement, and Rates of Return: Theory and an Empirical Application to the U.S. Bell System," NBER Working Papers 3041, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- H. M. Leung, 1997. "Total factor productivity growth in Singapore's manufacturing industries," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 4(8), pages 525-528.
- Park, Seung-Rok & Kwon, Jene K, 1995. "Rapid Economic Growth with Increasing Returns to Scale and Little or No Productivity Growth," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 77(2), pages 332-351, May.
- M. Ishaq Nadiri & Banani Nandi, 1999. "Technical Change, Markup, Divestiture, And Productivity Growth In The U.S. Telecommunications Industry," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 81(3), pages 488-498, August.
- Appelbaum, Elie, 1982. "The estimation of the degree of oligopoly power," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 19(2-3), pages 287-299, August. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:uwa:wpaper:05-29. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Verity Chia)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.