Solar powered light emitting diode distribution in developing countries: An assessment of potential distribution sites in rural Cambodia using network analyses
The objective of this research is to use geographic information systems and spatial analyses to create a template for distributing lighting, particularly light emitting diodes, in developing countries. Approximately 1.6 billion people do not have access to traditional electrical systems; therefore, a significant number of people do not have access to safe, efficient, and inexpensive lighting technologies. This research addresses the need for lighting in one developing country. As an introductory case study area for the distribution of lighting products, Cambodia has a population that is considerable, rural, and without electricity. In addition, a significant percentage of Cambodia's population will not have access to grid-quality electricity by 2030. To help alleviate this lighting deficiency, eliminate inappropriate distribution areas, and create a list of potential locations, the authors use geographic information system techniques to address four site-specific characteristics (grid electricity access, water inundation potential, hazardous landmine locations, and extreme poverty levels). To select among potential locations, the authors combine spatial analyses, service area delineations, and origin-destination cost matrices into a heuristic method for determining one location. These analyses identify the commune of Kantreang as the most appropriate location for lighting distribution.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Weinert, Jonathan X. & Ma, Chaktan & Yang, Xinmiao & Cherry, Christopher R., 2008. "Electric Two-Wheelers in China: Effect on Travel Behavior, Mode Shift, and User Safety Perceptions in a Medium-Sized City," Institute of Transportation Studies, Working Paper Series qt39g0c270, Institute of Transportation Studies, UC Davis.
- מחקר - ביטוח לאומי, 2008. "גיליון מספר 3," Working Papers 70, National Insurance Institute of Israel.
- Fatih Birol, 2007. "Energy Economics: A Place for Energy Poverty in the Agenda?," The Energy Journal, International Association for Energy Economics, vol. 0(Number 3), pages 1-6.
- Rabah, Kefa V.O., 2005. "Integrated solar energy systems for rural electrification in Kenya," Renewable Energy, Elsevier, vol. 30(1), pages 23-42.
- ד"ר אורנה בראון-אפל ולובה בלין, 2008. "שירות אישי לבטיחות ילדים," Working Papers 190, National Insurance Institute of Israel.
- Chaurey, Akanksha & Ranganathan, Malini & Mohanty, Parimita, 2004. "Electricity access for geographically disadvantaged rural communities--technology and policy insights," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 32(15), pages 1693-1705, October.
- Arango, Santiago, 2007. "Simulation of alternative regulations in the Colombian electricity market," Socio-Economic Planning Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 41(4), pages 305-319, December.
- Amobi, Marilyn Chikaodili, 2007. "Deregulating the electricity industry in Nigeria: Lessons from the British reform," Socio-Economic Planning Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 41(4), pages 291-304, December.
- Shih, Hsin-Chin, 2007. "Evaluating the prospective effects of alternative regulatory policies on the investment behaviour and environmental performance of a newly liberalised electricity industry in Taiwan," Socio-Economic Planning Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 41(4), pages 320-335, December.
- Ilskog, Elisabeth & Kjellström, Björn, 2008. "And then they lived sustainably ever after?--Assessment of rural electrification cases by means of indicators," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 36(7), pages 2674-2684, July.
- מחקר - ביטוח לאומי, 2008. "דין וחשבון שנתי לשנת 2007," Working Papers 234, National Insurance Institute of Israel.
- מחקר - ביטוח לאומי, 2008. "ינואר 2008," Working Papers 215, National Insurance Institute of Israel.
- אסתר טולדנו, 2008. "מקבלי דמי אבטלה בשנת 2007," Working Papers 574, National Insurance Institute of Israel.
- Phuangpornpitak, N. & Kumar, S., 2007. "PV hybrid systems for rural electrification in Thailand," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 11(7), pages 1530-1543, September.
- ד"ר שוקי הנדלס, 2008. "המרכז לתעסוקת מבוגרים," Working Papers 176, National Insurance Institute of Israel.
- Kanagawa, Makoto & Nakata, Toshihiko, 2008. "Assessment of access to electricity and the socio-economic impacts in rural areas of developing countries," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 36(6), pages 2016-2029, June.
- Kevin Curtin & Richard Church, 2007. "Optimal dispersion and central places," Journal of Geographical Systems, Springer, vol. 9(2), pages 167-187, June.
- Bhattacharyya, Subhes C., 2006. "Energy access problem of the poor in India: Is rural electrification a remedy?," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 34(18), pages 3387-3397, December.
- Srivastava, Leena & Rehman, I.H., 2006. "Energy for sustainable development in India: Linkages and strategic direction," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 34(5), pages 643-654, March.
- Paul Makdissi & Quentin Wodon, 2006. "Fuel poverty and access to electricity: comparing households when they differ in needs," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 38(9), pages 1071-1078.
- Larsen, Erik R. & van Ackere, Ann & Dyner, Isaac, 2007. "Introduction to the Special Issue: The deregulation of electricity markets," Socio-Economic Planning Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 41(4), pages 269-271, December.
- Kevin Curtin & Karen Hayslett-McCall & Fang Qiu, 2010. "Determining Optimal Police Patrol Areas with Maximal Covering and Backup Covering Location Models," Networks and Spatial Economics, Springer, vol. 10(1), pages 125-145, March.
- ד"ר יואב סנטו, 2008. "פרויקט הורי"ם נפגעי סמים," Working Papers 75, National Insurance Institute of Israel.
- Ochoa, Patricia, 2007. "Policy changes in the Swiss electricity market: Analysis of likely market responses," Socio-Economic Planning Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 41(4), pages 336-349, December.
- Nouni, M.R. & Mullick, S.C. & Kandpal, T.C., 2008. "Providing electricity access to remote areas in India: An approach towards identifying potential areas for decentralized electricity supply," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 12(5), pages 1187-1220, June.
- Galvao, Roberto D. & Gonzalo Acosta Espejo, Luis & Boffey, Brian, 2000. "A comparison of Lagrangean and surrogate relaxations for the maximal covering location problem," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 124(2), pages 377-389, July.
- Sebitosi, A. B. & Pillay, P., 2005. "Energy services in sub-Saharan Africa: how conducive is the environment?," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 33(16), pages 2044-2051, November.
- Maiga, A.S. & Chen, G.M. & Wang, Q. & Xu, J.Y., 2008. "Renewable energy options for a Sahel country: Mali," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 12(2), pages 564-574, February.
- Haanyika, Charles M., 2008. "Rural electrification in Zambia: A policy and institutional analysis," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 36(3), pages 1044-1058, March.
- מחקר - ביטוח לאומי, 2008. "תקציב תפעולי לשנת 2008," Working Papers 74, National Insurance Institute of Israel.
- ReVelle, C.S. & Eiselt, H.A. & Daskin, M.S., 2008. "A bibliography for some fundamental problem categories in discrete location science," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 184(3), pages 817-848, February.
- מחקר - ביטוח לאומי, 2008. "גיליון מספר 2," Working Papers 67, National Insurance Institute of Israel.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:soceps:v:45:y:2011:i:1:p:48-57. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.