Assessment of access to electricity and the socio-economic impacts in rural areas of developing countries
The purpose of this study is to reveal relations between access to electricity and advancement in a socio-economic condition in rural areas of developing countries. Recently, multi-dimensional aspects of poverty, for example, economy, education, and health, has been increasingly focused on, and access to modern energy such as electricity is one possible solution. As a case study, we have analyzed unelectrified rural areas in Assam state, India. We have developed an energy-economic model in order to analyze the possibility of electrification through dissemination of electric lighting appliances as well as applied multiple regression analysis to estimate the socio-economic condition, a literacy rate above 6 years old, in the areas. As a result of the case study, the household electrification rate, the 1000Â km2 road density, and sex ratio have been chosen as the explanatory variables of the literacy rate. Moreover, the model analysis shows that complete household electrification will be achieved by the year 2012. In combination with the multiple regression and model analysis, the literacy rate in Assam may increase to 74.4% from 63.3%.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gullberg, Monica & Ilskog, Elisabeth & Katyega, Maneno & Kjellstrom, Bjorn, 2005. "Village electrification technologies--an evaluation of photovoltaic cells and compact fluorescent lamps and their applicability in rural villages based on a Tanzanian case study," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 33(10), pages 1287-1298, July.
- World Bank, 2004. "World Development Indicators 2004," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 13890.
- Jana, Chinmoy & Chattopadhyay, R.N., 2004. "Block level energy planning for domestic lighting—a multi-objective fuzzy linear programming approach," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 29(11), pages 1819-1829.
- Bhattacharyya, Subhes C., 2006. "Renewable energies and the poor: niche or nexus?," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 34(6), pages 659-663, April.
- Chakrabarti, Snigdha & Chakrabarti, Subhendu, 2002. "Rural electrification programme with solar energy in remote region-a case study in an island," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 30(1), pages 33-42, January.
- Spalding-Fecher, Randall & Winkler, Harald & Mwakasonda, Stanford, 2005. "Energy and the World Summit on Sustainable Development: what next?," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 33(1), pages 99-112, January.
- Banerjee, Rangan, 2006. "Comparison of options for distributed generation in India," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 34(1), pages 101-111, January.
- Tongia, Rahul & Banerjee, Rangan, 1998. "Price of power in India," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 26(7), pages 557-575, June.
- Kanagawa, Makoto & Nakata, Toshihiko, 2006. "Analysis of the impact of electricity grid interconnection between Korea and Japan--Feasibility study for energy network in Northeast Asia," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 34(9), pages 1015-1025, June.
- Kanagawa, Makoto & Nakata, Toshihiko, 2007. "Analysis of the energy access improvement and its socio-economic impacts in rural areas of developing countries," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 62(2), pages 319-329, April.
- Bhattacharyya, Subhes C., 2006. "Energy access problem of the poor in India: Is rural electrification a remedy?," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 34(18), pages 3387-3397, December.
- Pachauri, S. & Mueller, A. & Kemmler, A. & Spreng, D., 2004. "On Measuring Energy Poverty in Indian Households," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 32(12), pages 2083-2104, December.
- Rehman, Ibrahim Hafeezur & Malhotra, Preeti & Pal, Ram Chandra & Singh, Phool Badan, 2005. "Availability of kerosene to rural households: a case study from India," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 33(17), pages 2165-2174, November.
- Howells, M. I. & Alfstad, T. & Victor, D. G. & Goldstein, G. & Remme, U., 2005. "A model of household energy services in a low-income rural African village," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 33(14), pages 1833-1851, September.
- Gangopadhyay, Shubhashis & Ramaswami, Bharat & Wadhwa, Wilima, 2005. "Reducing subsidies on household fuels in India: how will it affect the poor?," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 33(18), pages 2326-2336, December.
- Kumar, Arun & Jain, Sudhir K. & Bansal, N. K., 2003. "Disseminating energy-efficient technologies: a case study of compact fluorescent lamps (CFLs) in India," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 259-272, February.
- Mathur, Jyotirmay & Bansal, Narendra Kumar & Wagner, Hermann. -Joseph, 2003. "Investigation of greenhouse gas reduction potential and change in technological selection in Indian power sector," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 31(12), pages 1235-1244, September.
- Sagar, Ambuj D., 2005. "Alleviating energy poverty for the world's poor," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 33(11), pages 1367-1372, July.
- Sarmah, Reeta & Bora, M.C & Bhattacharjee, D.J, 2002. "Energy profiles of rural domestic sector in six un-electrified villages of Jorhat district of Assam," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 27(1), pages 17-24.
- Masera, Omar R. & Saatkamp, Barbara D. & Kammen, Daniel M., 2000. "From Linear Fuel Switching to Multiple Cooking Strategies: A Critique and Alternative to the Energy Ladder Model," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 28(12), pages 2083-2103, December.
- Parikh, Jyoti K. & Ramanathan, R., 1999. "Linkages among energy, agriculture and environment in rural India," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 21(6), pages 559-583, December.
- Bastakoti, Badri Prasad, 2003. "Rural electrification and efforts to create enterprises for the effective use of power," Applied Energy, Elsevier, vol. 76(1-3), pages 145-155, September.
- Dung, T.Q & Anisuzzaman, M & Kumar, S & Bhattacharya, S.C, 2003. "Demonstration of multi-purpose battery charging station for rural electrification," Renewable Energy, Elsevier, vol. 28(15), pages 2367-2378.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:enepol:v:36:y:2008:i:6:p:2016-2029. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.