Willingness to pay for drinking water quality improvement and the influence of social capital
Several factors have been identified as determinants of willingness to pay (WTP), including socio-economic and environmental elements. The present article aims to investigate the influence of individual social capital on willingness to pay for environmental goods. In particular, through an empirical study, a multi-dimensional measurement of social capital is conducted and its influence on WTP for water quality improvement is explored. According to the results of the survey it is observed that social capital is a significant explanatory parameter of WTP.
Volume (Year): 40 (2011)
Issue (Month): 1 (February)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/inca/620175|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Pretty, Jules & Ward, Hugh, 2001. "Social Capital and the Environment," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 29(2), pages 209-227, February.
- Dominika Parry Dziegielewska & Robert Mendelsohn, 2005. "Valuing Air Quality in Poland," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 30(2), pages 131-163, 02.
- Knetsch, Jack L, 1989. "The Endowment Effect and Evidence of Nonreversible Indifference Curves," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 79(5), pages 1277-84, December.
- Jesper Nielsen & Dorte Gyrd-Hansen & Ivar S�NB� Kristiansen & J�Rgen Nex�E, 2003. "Impact of Socio-demographic Factors on Willingness to Pay for the Reduction of a Future Health Risk," Journal of Environmental Planning and Management, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 46(1), pages 39-47.
- Johnston, Robert J. & Swallow, Stephen K. & Weaver, Thomas F., 1999. "Estimating Willingness to Pay and Resource Tradeoffs with Different Payment Mechanisms: An Evaluation of a Funding Guarantee for Watershed Management," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 38(1), pages 97-120, July.
- Wiser, Ryan H., 2007. "Using contingent valuation to explore willingness to pay for renewable energy: A comparison of collective and voluntary payment vehicles," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 62(3-4), pages 419-432, May.
- Nikoleta Jones, 2010. "Investigating the influence of social costs and benefits of environmental policies through social capital theory," Policy Sciences, Springer, vol. 43(3), pages 229-244, September.
- Jones, Nikoleta & Sophoulis, Costas M. & Malesios, Chrisovaladis, 2008. "Economic valuation of coastal water quality and protest responses: A case study in Mitilini, Greece," Journal of Behavioral and Experimental Economics (formerly The Journal of Socio-Economics), Elsevier, vol. 37(6), pages 2478-2491, December.
- Kayaga, Sam & Calvert, John & Sansom, Kevin, 2003. "Paying for water services: effects of household characteristics," Utilities Policy, Elsevier, vol. 11(3), pages 123-132, September.
- Bradley Jorgensen & Geoffrey Syme & Brian Bishop & Blair Nancarrow, 1999. "Protest Responses in Contingent Valuation," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 14(1), pages 131-150, July.
- Kahneman, Daniel & Knetsch, Jack L & Thaler, Richard H, 1990. "Experimental Tests of the Endowment Effect and the Coase Theorem," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 98(6), pages 1325-48, December.
- Dinda, Soumyananda, 2008.
"Social capital in the creation of human capital and economic growth: A productive consumption approach,"
Journal of Behavioral and Experimental Economics (formerly The Journal of Socio-Economics),
Elsevier, vol. 37(5), pages 2020-2033, October.
- Dinda, Soumyananda, 2006. "Social Capital in the creation of Human Capital and Economic Growth: A Productive Consumption Approach," MPRA Paper 50586, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 28 May 2007.
- Blamey, Russell K., 1998. "Decisiveness, attitude expression and symbolic responses in contingent valuation surveys," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 34(4), pages 577-601, March.
- Sabatini, Fabio, 2009. "Social capital as social networks: A new framework for measurement and an empirical analysis of its determinants and consequences," Journal of Behavioral and Experimental Economics (formerly The Journal of Socio-Economics), Elsevier, vol. 38(3), pages 429-442, June.
- Jorgensen, Bradley S. & Syme, Geoffrey J., 2000. "Protest responses and willingness to pay: attitude toward paying for stormwater pollution abatement," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 33(2), pages 251-265, May.
- Karl Jöreskog, 1994. "On the estimation of polychoric correlations and their asymptotic covariance matrix," Psychometrika, Springer, vol. 59(3), pages 381-389, September.
- Spash, Clive L. & Urama, Kevin & Burton, Rob & Kenyon, Wendy & Shannon, Peter & Hill, Gary, 2009. "Motives behind willingness to pay for improving biodiversity in a water ecosystem: Economics, ethics and social psychology," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 68(4), pages 955-964, February.
- M. Genius & E. Hatzaki & E. Kouromichelaki & G. Kouvakis & S. Nikiforaki & K. Tsagarakis, 2008. "Evaluating Consumers’ Willingness to Pay for Improved Potable Water Quality and Quantity," Water Resources Management, Springer, vol. 22(12), pages 1825-1834, December.
- Cramb, Rob A., 2005. "Social capital and soil conservation: evidence from the Philippines," Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 49(2), June.
- Zhang, Licheng & Wang, Hong & Wang, Lushang & Hsiao, William, 2006. "Social capital and farmer's willingness-to-join a newly established community-based health insurance in rural China," Health Policy, Elsevier, vol. 76(2), pages 233-242, April.
- Rojas, Yerko & Carlson, Per, 2006. "The stratification of social capital and its consequences for self-rated health in Taganrog, Russia," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 62(11), pages 2732-2741, June.
- Crudeli, Luca, 2006. "Social Capital and economic opportunities," Journal of Behavioral and Experimental Economics (formerly The Journal of Socio-Economics), Elsevier, vol. 35(5), pages 913-927, October.
- Meyerhoff, Jurgen & Liebe, Ulf, 2006. "Protest beliefs in contingent valuation: Explaining their motivation," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 57(4), pages 583-594, June.
- Whitehead, John C. & Cherry, Todd L., 2007. "Willingness to pay for a Green Energy program: A comparison of ex-ante and ex-post hypothetical bias mitigation approaches," Resource and Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 29(4), pages 247-261, November.
- Seung-Hoon Yoo & Seung-Jun Kwak & Tai-Yoo Kim, 2001. "Modelling willingness to pay responses from dichotomous choice contingent valuation surveys with zero observations," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 33(4), pages 523-529.
- Chou, Yuan K., 2006. "Three simple models of social capital and economic growth," Journal of Behavioral and Experimental Economics (formerly The Journal of Socio-Economics), Elsevier, vol. 35(5), pages 889-912, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:soceco:v:40:y:2011:i:1:p:74-80. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.