21 years of international M&As and joint ventures by Italian medium-sized listed firms: Value creation or value destruction?
This study provides evidence of the value creation of different equity entry modes in a sample of international investments performed by all Italian medium-sized listed firms in the period 1986-2006. Our research shows a positive and significant market reaction to announcements of internationalization strategies. The results are largely affected by high-equity entry modes carried out in advanced economies. Low-equity entry modes and international operations performed in emerging countries show no significant market reaction. We also find that the relative size of the deal, the firm age, the country risk, and the evolution of information disclosure regulation, matter in explaining the outcomes.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mikkelson, Wayne H. & Partch, M. Megan, 1988. "Withdrawn Security Offerings," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 23(02), pages 119-133, June.
- Dimson, Elroy, 1979. "Risk measurement when shares are subject to infrequent trading," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 7(2), pages 197-226, June.
- Freeman, Robert N., 1987. "The association between accounting earnings and security returns for large and small firms," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 9(2), pages 195-228, July.
- Andreas Bausch & Duc Linh Van Tri, 2007. "Internationalization Of German Companies Into The Chinese Market - An Event Study On The Consequences On Financial Performance From A Rbv Perspective," Jena Research Papers in Business and Economics - Working and Discussion Papers 26/2007, Friedrich-Schiller-University Jena, School of Economics and Business Administration.
- Sanjeev Agarwal & Sridhar N Ramaswami, 1992. "Choice of Foreign Market Entry Mode: Impact of Ownership, Location and Internationalization Factors," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan;Academy of International Business, vol. 23(1), pages 1-27, March.
- Jensen, Michael C. & Ruback, Richard S., 1983. "The market for corporate control : The scientific evidence," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 11(1-4), pages 5-50, April.
- Morck, R. & Yeung, B., 1991.
"Why Investors Value Multinationality,"
282, Research Seminar in International Economics, University of Michigan.
- La Porta, Rafael, et al, 1997.
"Trust in Large Organizations,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 87(2), pages 333-338, May.
- Bartholdy, Jan & Riding, Allan, 1994. "Thin Trading and the Estimation of Betas: The Efficacy of Alternative Techniques," Journal of Financial Research, Southern Finance Association;Southwestern Finance Association, vol. 17(2), pages 241-254, Summer.
- Jan Bartholdy & Allan Riding, 1994. "Thin Trading And The Estimation Of Betas: The Efficacy Of Alternative Techniques," Journal of Financial Research, Southern Finance Association;Southwestern Finance Association, vol. 17(2), pages 241-254, 06.
- Scholes, Myron & Williams, Joseph, 1977. "Estimating betas from nonsynchronous data," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 5(3), pages 309-327, December.
- Covin, Jeffrey G. & Slevin, Dennis P. & Covin, Teresa Joyce, 1990. "Content and performance of growth-seeking strategies: A comparison of small firms in high- and low technology industries," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 5(6), pages 391-412, November.
- McDougall, Patricia Phillips & Oviatt, Benjamin M., 1996. "New venture internationalization, strategic change, and performance: A follow-up study," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 11(1), pages 23-40, January.
- Antonis Demos & Fragkiskos Filippaios & Marina Papanastassiou, 2004. "An event study analysis of outward foreign direct investment: the case of Greece," International Journal of the Economics of Business, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 11(3), pages 329-348.
- repec:fth:michin:282 is not listed on IDEAS
- Benjamin M Oviatt & Patricia Phillips McDougall, 1994. "Toward a Theory of International New ventures," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan;Academy of International Business, vol. 25(1), pages 45-64, March.
- Jan Johanson & Jan-Erik Vahlne, 1977. "The Internationalization Process of the Firm—A Model of Knowledge Development and Increasing Foreign Market Commitments," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan;Academy of International Business, vol. 8(1), pages 23-32, March.
- Doukas, John & Travlos, Nickolaos G, 1988. " The Effect of Corporate Multinationalism on Shareholders' Wealth: Evidence from International Acquisitions," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 43(5), pages 1161-1175, December.
- John H Dunning, 1988. "The Eclectic Paradigm of International Production: A Restatement and Some Possible Extensions," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan;Academy of International Business, vol. 19(1), pages 1-31, March.
- Marco Mutinelli & Sergio Mariotti, 2009. "L'evoluzione delle imprese multinazionali italiane e il ruolo del quarto capitalismo," ECONOMIA E POLITICA INDUSTRIALE, FrancoAngeli Editore, vol. 36(1), pages 123-134.
- Haiyang Chen & Michael Y. Hu & Joseph C. P. Shieh, 1991. "The Wealth Effect of International Joint Ventures: The Case of U.S. Investment in China," Financial Management, Financial Management Association, vol. 20(4), pages -, Winter.
- Klaus Uhlenbruck & Peter Rodriguez & Jonathan Doh & Lorraine Eden, 2006. "The Impact of Corruption on Entry Strategy: Evidence from Telecommunication Projects in Emerging Economies," Organization Science, INFORMS, vol. 17(3), pages 402-414, June.
- Gerry McNamara & Paul M Vaaler, 2000. "The Influence of Competitive Positioning and Rivalry on Emerging Market Risk Assessment," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan;Academy of International Business, vol. 31(2), pages 337-347, June.
- Morck, Randall & Yeung, Bernard, 1992. "Internalization : An event study test," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 33(1-2), pages 41-56, August.
- Robert M Grant, 1987. "Multinationality and Performance among British Manufacturing Companies," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan;Academy of International Business, vol. 18(3), pages 79-89, September.
- Christos Pantzalis, 2001. "Does Location Matter? An Empirical Analysis of Geographic Scope and MNC Market Valuation," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan;Academy of International Business, vol. 32(1), pages 133-155, March.
- Asquith, Paul & Bruner, Robert F. & Mullins, David Jr., 1983. "The gains to bidding firms from merger," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 11(1-4), pages 121-139, April.
- J Markham Collins, 1990. "A Market Performance Comparison of U.S. Firms Active in Domestic, Developed and Developing Countries," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan;Academy of International Business, vol. 21(2), pages 271-287, June.
- Brown, Stephen J. & Warner, Jerold B., 1985. "Using daily stock returns : The case of event studies," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 14(1), pages 3-31, March.
- Kumar, V. & Subramanian, Velavan, 1997. "A contingency framework for the mode of entry decision," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 32(1), pages 53-72, April.
- Salinger, Michael, 1992. "Standard Errors in Event Studies," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 27(01), pages 39-53, March.
- Fama, Eugene F, et al, 1969. "The Adjustment of Stock Prices to New Information," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 10(1), pages 1-21, February.
- Pavitt, Keith, 1984. "Sectoral patterns of technical change: Towards a taxonomy and a theory," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 13(6), pages 343-373, December.
- Dunning, John H, 1979. "Explaining Changing Patterns of International Production: In Defence of the Eclectic Theory," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 41(4), pages 269-295, November.
- Jarrell, Gregg A & Poulsen, Annette B, 1989. "Stock Trading before the Announcement of Tender Offers: Insider Trading or Market Anticipation?," Journal of Law, Economics and Organization, Oxford University Press, vol. 5(2), pages 225-48, Fall.
- Paul Draper & Krishna Paudyal, 2008. "Information Asymmetry and Bidders' Gains," Journal of Business Finance & Accounting, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 35(3-4), pages 376-405.
- Kim, Dongcheol, 1999. "Sensitivity of Systematic Risk Estimates to the Return Measurement Interval under Serial Correlation," Review of Quantitative Finance and Accounting, Springer, vol. 12(1), pages 49-64, January.
- Brown, Stephen J. & Warner, Jerold B., 1980. "Measuring security price performance," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 8(3), pages 205-258, September.
- Gerpott, Torsten J. & Jakopin, Nejc M., 2007. "Firm and target country characteristics as factors explaining wealth creation from international expansion moves of mobile network operators," Telecommunications Policy, Elsevier, vol. 31(2), pages 72-92, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:riibaf:v:25:y:2011:i:1:p:75-87. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.