A review of Brazilian biodiesel experiences
This article investigates the history of proposals to use vegetable oils as fuel in Brazil beginning in the 1920s up to the current National Program for Biodiesel Production and Use – PNPB. The characteristics of vegetable oils markets and of the oil products market, as well as the incentive mechanisms formulated for biodiesel implementation, are analyzed. Although the research focuses on the Brazilian experience, initiatives of biodiesel insertion, or those already implemented in countries with significant oilseeds production are also studied. The results allow concluding that attempts to make biodiesel production viable confront several barriers. Comparative analysis revealed that vegetable oil world prices tend to be higher than the equivalent fossil oils. In Brazil, the initiative in the 1970s lacked political alliances to overcome the difficulties imposed by market conditions such as those that benefited the National Alcohol Program –Proalcool. In the resumption of the 2000s with PNPB, despite intense articulation and institutional incentives, arising from the limited scale of production of the feedstock from incentived family farming and from the nature of markets of vegetable oils, as food or fuel, and of fossil oils, especially regarding the respective regulating prices. The incentives provided by the PNPB seem insufficient for vegetable oils to prefer the energy market instead of benefiting from higher surplus in alternative food markets.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 45 (2015)
Issue (Month): C ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/600126/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/600126/bibliographic|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ashnani, Mohammad Hossein Mohammadi & Johari, Anwar & Hashim, Haslenda & Hasani, Elham, 2014. "A source of renewable energy in Malaysia, why biodiesel?," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 35(C), pages 244-257.
- César, Aldara da Silva & Batalha, Mário Otávio & Zopelari, André Luiz Miranda Silva, 2013. "Oil palm biodiesel: Brazil's main challenges," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 60(C), pages 485-491.
- Rico, Julieta A. Puerto & Mercedes, Sonia S.P. & Sauer, Ildo L., 2010. "Genesis and consolidation of the Brazilian bioethanol: A review of policies and incentive mechanisms," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 14(7), pages 1874-1887, September.
- Timilsina, Govinda R. & Mevel, Simon & Shrestha, Ashish, 2011. "Oil price, biofuels and food supply," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 39(12), pages 8098-8105.
- Harry de Gorter & David R. Just, 2010.
"The Social Costs and Benefits of Biofuels: The Intersection of Environmental, Energy and Agricultural Policy,"
Applied Economic Perspectives and Policy,
Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 32(1), pages 4-32.
- Harry de Gorter & David R. Just, 2010. "The Social Costs and Benefits of Biofuels: The Intersection of Environmental, Energy and Agricultural Policy," Applied Economic Perspectives and Policy, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 32(1), pages 4-32.
- Wallace E. Tyner, 2010. "The integration of energy and agricultural markets," Agricultural Economics, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 41(s1), pages 193-201, November.
- Tyner, Wallace E., 2009. "The Integration of Energy and Agricultural Markets," 2009 Conference, August 16-22, 2009, Beijing, China 53214, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Rajcaniova, Miroslava & Drabik, Dusan & Ciaian, Pavel, 2011. "International Interlinkages of Biofuel Prices: The Role of Biofuel Policies," 2011 Annual Meeting, July 24-26, 2011, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 103222, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Rajcaniova, Miroslava & Drabik, Dusan & Ciaian, Pavel, 2011. "International Interlinkages of Biofuel Prices: The Role of Biofuel Policies," 2011 International Congress, August 30-September 2, 2011, Zurich, Switzerland 114786, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Osaki, Mauro & Batalha, Mario Otavio, 2008. "Produção de biodiesel e óleo vegetal no Brasil: realidade e desafio," 46th Congress, July 20-23, 2008, Rio Branco, Acre, Brasil 108146, Sociedade Brasileira de Economia, Administracao e Sociologia Rural (SOBER).
- Abdullah, A.Z. & Salamatinia, B. & Mootabadi, H. & Bhatia, S., 2009. "Current status and policies on biodiesel industry in Malaysia as the world's leading producer of palm oil," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(12), pages 5440-5448, December.
- Natanelov, Valeri & Alam, Mohammad J. & McKenzie, Andrew M. & Van Huylenbroeck, Guido, 2011. "Is there co-movement of agricultural commodities futures prices and crude oil?," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 39(9), pages 4971-4984, September.
- Natanelov, Valeri & Alam, Mohammad Jahangir & McKenzie, Andrew M. & Van Huylenbroeck, Guido, 2011. "Is There Co-Movement of Agricultural Commodities Futures Prices and Crude Oil?," 2011 International Congress, August 30-September 2, 2011, Zurich, Switzerland 114626, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Kristoufek, Ladislav & Janda, Karel & Zilberman, David, 2012. "Correlations between biofuels and related commodities before and during the food crisis: A taxonomy perspective," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 34(5), pages 1380-1391.
- André Cremonez, Paulo & Feroldi, Michael & Cézar Nadaleti, Willian & de Rossi, Eduardo & Feiden, Armin & de Camargo, Mariele Pasuch & Cremonez, Filipe Eliazar & Klajn, Felipe Fernandes, 2015. "Biodiesel production in Brazil: Current scenario and perspectives," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 42(C), pages 415-428.
- Rathmann, Régis & Szklo, Alexandre & Schaeffer, Roberto, 2010. "Land use competition for production of food and liquid biofuels: An analysis of the arguments in the current debate," Renewable Energy, Elsevier, vol. 35(1), pages 14-22. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:rensus:v:45:y:2015:i:c:p:513-529. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.