Biomass energy policies and strategies: Harvesting potential in India and Indonesia
India and Indonesia are privileged with abundant biomass resource potentials, 23 Giga-watt (GW) and 50GW equivalents respectively, yet both countries harvest small proportions, with fundamentally different deployed policies and articulated strategies. In this regard, this paper focuses on analyzing evolution and deployment of different policies and execution of strategies by two countries. It analyzes the effects of the biomass energy policies and executed strategies in India and Indonesia with a holistic approach. Such an approach takes the policy and strategy of the whole biomass energy sector rather than a segmented and separated sector as biofuel, biogas, biodiesel, etc. Furthermore, how they have resulted in different outcomes is also addressed. Our analysis shows that India's biomass energy policy has evolved from incremental to more radical changes, while Indonesia's policy remains incremental. India has also a relatively more unified biomass energy strategy than Indonesia. India has been more focused on technology development and deployment along with strong institutional creation, whereas Indonesia has not been able to create any biomass sector supporting strong institutions. Therefore, in terms of biomass energy utilizations, India has demonstrated better performance than Indonesia.
Volume (Year): 22 (2013)
Issue (Month): C ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/600126/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/600126/bibliographic|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Silitonga, A.S. & Atabani, A.E. & Mahlia, T.M.I. & Masjuki, H.H. & Badruddin, Irfan Anjum & Mekhilef, S., 2011. "A review on prospect of Jatropha curcas for biodiesel in Indonesia," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 15(8), pages 3733-3756.
- Buragohain, Buljit & Mahanta, Pinakeswar & Moholkar, Vijayanand S., 2010. "Biomass gasification for decentralized power generation: The Indian perspective," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 14(1), pages 73-92, January.
- Jayed, M.H. & Masjuki, H.H. & Kalam, M.A. & Mahlia, T.M.I. & Husnawan, M. & Liaquat, A.M., 2011. "Prospects of dedicated biodiesel engine vehicles in Malaysia and Indonesia," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 15(1), pages 220-235, January.
- Kirubakaran, V. & Sivaramakrishnan, V. & Nalini, R. & Sekar, T. & Premalatha, M. & Subramanian, P., 2009. "A review on gasification of biomass," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 13(1), pages 179-186, January.
- Kumar, Ashwani & Kumar, Kapil & Kaushik, Naresh & Sharma, Satyawati & Mishra, Saroj, 2010. "Renewable energy in India: Current status and future potentials," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 14(8), pages 2434-2442, October.
- Restuti, Dewi & Michaelowa, Axel, 2007. "The economic potential of bagasse cogeneration as CDM projects in Indonesia," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(7), pages 3952-3966, July.
- Suntana, Asep S. & Vogt, Kristiina A. & Turnblom, Eric C. & Upadhye, Ravi, 2009. "Bio-methanol potential in Indonesia: Forest biomass as a source of bio-energy that reduces carbon emissions," Applied Energy, Elsevier, vol. 86(Supplemen), pages S215-S221, November.
- Hasan, M.H. & Mahlia, T.M.I. & Nur, Hadi, 2012. "A review on energy scenario and sustainable energy in Indonesia," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 16(4), pages 2316-2328.
- Raj, N. Thilak & Iniyan, S. & Goic, Ranko, 2011. "A review of renewable energy based cogeneration technologies," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 15(8), pages 3640-3648.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:rensus:v:22:y:2013:i:c:p:332-345. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.