Electricity time-of-use tariff with consumer behavior consideration
This paper investigates an electricity time-of-use (TOU) tariff problem with the consideration of consumer behavior. Under the TOU tariff, we consider two periods: the peak and base periods. A two-level model is established to solve the TOU tariff problem: in the upper level, the producer determines the TOU tariff with the consideration of consumer behavior; in the lower level, the consumers respond to the TOU tariff through shifting some electricity consumption in the peak period to the base period. Using the traditional flat-rate (FR) tariff as a baseline, we verify the conditions under which the producer has incentives to adopt the TOU tariff. With the adoption of a general consumer transfer cost, we solve for the optimal TOU tariff under different situations. Our results demonstrate that proper adoption of the TOU tariff can create a win–win situation for both the producer and the consumers: the producer can increase its profit and the consumers can save their electricity cost. We further evaluate the effectiveness of the TOU tariff in terms of the peak demand reduction. Using a quadratic transfer cost, we obtain some managerial insights into the TOU tariff problem, and illustrate that the TOU tariff is always beneficial to the producer and the consumers under the quadratic transfer cost.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Meyer, Robert A, 1975. "Monopoly Pricing and Capacity Choice under Uncertainty," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 65(3), pages 326-37, June.
- Severin Borenstein & Stephen Holland, 2005.
"On the Efficiency of Competitive Electricity Markets with Time-Invariant Retail Prices,"
RAND Journal of Economics,
The RAND Corporation, vol. 36(3), pages 469-493, Autumn.
- Severin Borenstein & Stephen P. Holland, 2003. "On the Efficiency of Competitive Electricity Markets With Time-Invariant Retail Prices," NBER Working Papers 9922, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hogan, William W., 2010. "Fairness and Dynamic Pricing: Comments," The Electricity Journal, Elsevier, vol. 23(6), pages 28-35, July.
- Hung-po Chao, 1983. "Peak Load Pricing and Capacity Planning with Demand and Supply Uncertainty," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 14(1), pages 179-190, Spring.
- Yishai Spector & Asher Tishler & Yinyu Ye, 1995. "Minimal Adjustment Costs and the Optimal Choice of Inputs Under Time-of-Use Electricity Rates," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 41(10), pages 1679-1692, October.
- Carlton, Dennis W, 1977. "Peak Load Pricing with Stochastic Demand," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 67(5), pages 1006-10, December.
- Faruqui, Ahmad, 2010. "The Ethics of Dynamic Pricing," The Electricity Journal, Elsevier, vol. 23(6), pages 13-27, July.
- Herter, Karen & McAuliffe, Patrick & Rosenfeld, Arthur, 2007. "An exploratory analysis of California residential customer response to critical peak pricing of electricity," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 32(1), pages 25-34.
- Chao, Hung-po, 2011. "Efficient pricing and investment in electricity markets with intermittent resources," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 39(7), pages 3945-3953, July.
- Stephen Coate & John C. Panzer, 1988.
"Public Utility Pricing and Capacity Choice Under Risk: A Rational Expectations Approach,"
780, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Coate, Stephen & Panzar, John C, 1989. "Public Utility Pricing and Capacity Choice under Risk: A Rational Expectations Approach," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 1(4), pages 305-17, December.
- Albert Banal-Estañol & Augusto Rupérez Micola, 2009.
"Composition of Electricity Generation Portfolios, Pivotal Dynamics, and Market Prices,"
INFORMS, vol. 55(11), pages 1813-1831, November.
- Augusto Rupérez-Micola & Albert Banal-Estañol, 2007. "Composition of electricity generation portfolios, pivotal dynamics and market prices," Economics Working Papers 1083, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Ahmad Faruqui & Sanem Sergici, 2010. "Household response to dynamic pricing of electricity: a survey of 15 experiments," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 38(2), pages 193-225, October.
- Sherman, Roger & Visscher, Michael, 1978. "Second Best Pricing with Stochastic Demand," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 68(1), pages 41-53, March.
- Kleindorfer, Paul R & Fernando, Chitru S, 1993. "Peak-Load Pricing and Reliability under Uncertainty," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 5(1), pages 5-23, March.
- Doucet, Joseph A & Roland, Michel, 1993. "Efficient Self-Rationing of Electricity Revisited," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 5(1), pages 91-100, March.
- Faruqui, Ahmad & George, Stephen, 2005. "Quantifying Customer Response to Dynamic Pricing," The Electricity Journal, Elsevier, vol. 18(4), pages 53-63, May.
- Crew, Michael A & Fernando, Chitru S & Kleindorfer, Paul R, 1995. "The Theory of Peak-Load Pricing: A Survey," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 8(3), pages 215-48, November.
- Brown, Gardner, Jr & Johnson, M Bruce, 1969. "Public Utility Pricing and Output under Risk," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 59(1), pages 119-28, March.
- Herter, Karen, 2007. "Residential implementation of critical-peak pricing of electricity," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(4), pages 2121-2130, April.
- Hung-po Chao, 2011. "Demand response in wholesale electricity markets: the choice of customer baseline," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 39(1), pages 68-88, February.
- Alexander, Barbara R., 2010. "Dynamic Pricing? Not So Fast! A Residential Consumer Perspective," The Electricity Journal, Elsevier, vol. 23(6), pages 39-49, July.
- Chao, Hung-po, 2010. "Price-Responsive Demand Management for a Smart Grid World," The Electricity Journal, Elsevier, vol. 23(1), pages 7-20, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:proeco:v:146:y:2013:i:2:p:402-410. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.