The role of ambiguity tolerance in consumer perception of remanufactured products
This study examines ambiguity tolerance, perceived quality, and willingness to pay for remanufactured products. We found evidence to support a direct relationship between a consumer's tolerance for ambiguity and their willingness to pay for remanufactured products. There was also support for an indirect relationship between ambiguity tolerance and willingness to pay that is mediated through perceived quality. Extant literature often lacks an empirical justification regarding costing and quality assumptions for remanufactured products. This research provides such justification while also offering an explanation as to why consumers view remanufactured products as being of lower quality and are less willing to pay for them. Those employed in the remanufacturing industry are advised to reduce the level of ambiguity associated with their remanufacturing processes in order to command higher prices for their products in the marketplace.
Volume (Year): 135 (2012)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/ijpe|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Giutini, Ron & Gaudette, Kevin, 2003. "Remanufacturing: The next great opportunity for boosting US productivity," Business Horizons, Elsevier, vol. 46(6), pages 41-48.
- L. Beril Toktay & Lawrence M. Wein & Stefanos A. Zenios, 2000. "Inventory Management of Remanufacturable Products," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 46(11), pages 1412-1426, November.
- Mitsunobu Miyake, 2010. "Convergence theorems of willingness-to-pay and willingness-to-accept for nonmarket goods," Social Choice and Welfare, Springer;The Society for Social Choice and Welfare, vol. 34(4), pages 549-570, April.
- Li, Jianzhi & González, Miguel & Zhu, Yun, 2009. "A hybrid simulation optimization method for production planning of dedicated remanufacturing," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 117(2), pages 286-301, February.
- Li, Ling, 2011. "Assessing the relational benefits of logistics services perceived by manufacturers in supply chain," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 132(1), pages 58-67, July.
- M. Hossein Safizadeh & Larry P. Ritzman & Deven Sharma & Craig Wood, 1996. "An Empirical Analysis of the Product-Process Matrix," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 42(11), pages 1576-1591, November.
- Guide, V. Daniel R. & Kraus, Mark E. & Srivastava, Rajesh, 1997. "Scheduling policies for remanufacturing," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 48(2), pages 187-204, January.
- Bayindir, Z. Pelin & Erkip, Nesim & Gullu, Refik, 2003. "A model to evaluate inventory costs in a remanufacturing environment," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 81(1), pages 597-607, January.
- Geraldo Ferrer & Jayashankar M. Swaminathan, 2006. "Managing New and Remanufactured Products," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 52(1), pages 15-26, January.
- Laurens G. Debo & L. Beril Toktay & Luk N. Van Wassenhove, 2005. "Market Segmentation and Product Technology Selection for Remanufacturable Products," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 51(8), pages 1193-1205, August.
- Gribkovskaia, Irina V. & Kovalev, Sergey & Werner, Frank, 2010. "Batching for work and rework processes on dedicated facilities to minimize the makespan," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 38(6), pages 522-527, December.
- Liang, Yijiong & Pokharel, Shaligram & Lim, Geok Hian, 2009. "Pricing used products for remanufacturing," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 193(2), pages 390-395, March.
- Zu, Xingxing & Robbins, Tina L. & Fredendall, Lawrence D., 2010. "Mapping the critical links between organizational culture and TQM/Six Sigma practices," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 123(1), pages 86-106, January.
- Nenes, George & Panagiotidou, Sofia & Dekker, Rommert, 2010. "Inventory control policies for inspection and remanufacturing of returns: A case study," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 125(2), pages 300-312, June.
- Hron, K. & Templ, M. & Filzmoser, P., 2010. "Imputation of missing values for compositional data using classical and robust methods," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 54(12), pages 3095-3107, December.
- Prahinski, Carol & Kocabasoglu, Canan, 2006. "Empirical research opportunities in reverse supply chains," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 34(6), pages 519-532, December.
- González-Benito, Javier & González-Benito, Óscar, 2005. "Environmental proactivity and business performance: an empirical analysis," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 33(1), pages 1-15, February.
- Wongthatsanekorn, Wuthichai & Realff, Matthew J. & Ammons, Jane C., 2010. "Multi-time scale Markov decision process approach to strategic network growth of reverse supply chains," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 38(1-2), pages 20-32, February.
- Yang, Jie & Wang, Jinjun & Wong, Christina W.Y. & Lai, Kee-Hung, 2008. "Relational stability and alliance performance in supply chain," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 36(4), pages 600-608, August.
- Singh, Prakash J., 2008. "Empirical assessment of ISO 9000 related management practices and performance relationships," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 113(1), pages 40-59, May.
- Camerer, Colin & Weber, Martin, 1992. "Recent Developments in Modeling Preferences: Uncertainty and Ambiguity," Journal of Risk and Uncertainty, Springer, vol. 5(4), pages 325-370, October.
- Jaber, Mohamad Y. & El Saadany, Ahmed M.A., 2011. "An economic production and remanufacturing model with learning effects," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 131(1), pages 115-127, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:proeco:v:135:y:2012:i:2:p:781-790. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.