A two-tail version of the PPS distribution with application to current account balance data
The double Pareto-positive stable (dPPS) distribution is introduced as a new model for describing countries’ global current account balance data. The dPPS distribution provides a flexible model for fitting the entire range of a set of current account data (both surplus and deficit), where zero and unimodality are possible, and the double-sided Pareto distribution is included as a particular case. Expressions for the cumulative distribution, probability density and quantile functions are given. An estimation method is discussed and a simple graphical method for studying the adequacy of the data to model is given. Finally, we consider the fit of countries’ global current account balance data for several years. The new distribution is compared with four classical models: Normal, Skew Normal, Asymmetric Laplace and Hyperbolic distributions. In all the data sets considered, the dPPS distribution outperforms the fits of these four distributions.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 391 (2012)
Issue (Month): 21 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.journals.elsevier.com/physica-a-statistical-mechpplications/|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jeffrey M Wooldridge, 2010.
"Econometric Analysis of Cross Section and Panel Data,"
MIT Press Books,
The MIT Press,
edition 2, volume 1, number 0262232588.
- Jeffrey M. Wooldridge, 2001. "Econometric Analysis of Cross Section and Panel Data," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262232197.
- Ellen R. McGrattan & Edward C. Prescott, 2008.
"Technology Capital and the U.S. Current Account,"
NBER Working Papers
13983, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ellen R. McGrattan & Edward C. Prescott, 2007. "Technology capital and the U.S. current account," Working Papers 646, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Edward Prescott & Ellen McGrattan, 2007. "Technology Capital and the U.S. Current Account," 2007 Meeting Papers 90, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Ellen R. McGrattan & Edward C. Prescott, 2009. "Technology capital and the U.S. current account," Staff Report 406, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Ellen R McGrattan & Edward C Prescott, 2008. "Technology Capital and the U.S. Current Account," Levine's Bibliography 122247000000001827, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Soukiazis, Elias & Cerqueira, Pedro A. & Antunes, Micaela, 2012. "Modelling economic growth with internal and external imbalances: Empirical evidence from Portugal," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 29(2), pages 478-486.
- Menzie David Chinn & Eswar Prasad, 2000.
"Medium-Term Determinants of Current Accounts in Industrial and Developing Countries; An Empirical Exploration,"
IMF Working Papers
00/46, International Monetary Fund.
- Chinn, Menzie D. & Prasad, Eswar S., 2003. "Medium-term determinants of current accounts in industrial and developing countries: an empirical exploration," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 59(1), pages 47-76, January.
- Menzie D. Chinn & Eswar S. Prasad, 2000. "Medium-Term Determinants of Current Accounts in Industrial and Developing Countries: An Empirical Exploration," NBER Working Papers 7581, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kanlı, İbrahim Burak, 2008. "Asymmetric impacts of global risk appetite on the risk premium for an emerging market," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 387(13), pages 3218-3226.
- Bucsa, G. & Jovanovic, F. & Schinckus, C., 2011. "A unified model for price return distributions used in econophysics," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 390(20), pages 3435-3443.
- Sarabia, José María & Prieto, Faustino, 2009. "The Pareto-positive stable distribution: A new descriptive model for city size data," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 388(19), pages 4179-4191.
- Anna Lo Prete, 2012. "Current account imbalances, trade and finance," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 19(4), pages 399-402, March.
- Kenneth Rogoff & William Brainard & George Perry, .
"Global Current Account Imbalances and Exchange Rate Adjustments,"
33687, Harvard University OpenScholar.
- Maurice Obstfeld & Kenneth S. Rogoff, 2005. "Global Current Account Imbalances and Exchange Rate Adjustments," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 36(1), pages 67-146.
- Chu, Hsiao-Ping & Chang, Tsangyao & Chang, Hsu-Ling & Su, Chi-Wei & Yuan, Young, 2007. "Mean reversion in the current account of forty-eight african countries: Evidence from the Panel SURADF test," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 384(2), pages 485-492.
- Sebastian Edwards, 2004. "Thirty Years of Current Account Imbalances, Current Account Reversals, and Sudden Stops," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 51(s1), pages 1-49, June.
- Sebastian Edwards, 2004. "Thirty Years of Current Account Imbalances, Current Account Reversals and Sudden Stops," NBER Working Papers 10276, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Tuvshintugs Batdelger & Magda Kandil, 2012. "Determinants of the current account balance in the United States," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 44(5), pages 653-669, February.
- Barros, Michelli & Paula, Gilberto A. & Leiva, Víctor, 2009. "An R implementation for generalized Birnbaum-Saunders distributions," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 53(4), pages 1511-1528, February.
- Kraay, Aart & Ventura, Jaume, 1997.
"Current accounts in debtor and creditor countries,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
1825, The World Bank.
- Guillen, Montserrat & Prieto, Faustino & Sarabia, José María, 2011. "Modelling losses and locating the tail with the Pareto Positive Stable distribution," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 49(3), pages 454-461.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:phsmap:v:391:y:2012:i:21:p:5160-5171. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.