The efficiency of individual optimization in the conditions of competitive growth
The paper aims to discuss statistical properties of the multi-agent based model of competitive growth. Each of the agents is described by the growth (or decay) rule of its virtual “mass”, with the rate affected by the interaction with other agents. The interaction depends on the strategy vector and mutual distance between agents, and both are subjected to the agent’s individual optimization process. Steady-state simulations yield phase diagrams with the high and low competition phases (HCP and LCP, respectively) separated by critical point. Particular focus has been made on the indicators of the power-law behavior of the mass distributions with respect to the critical regime. In this regime, the study has revealed a remarkable anomaly in the optimization efficiency.
Volume (Year): 388 (2009)
Issue (Month): 17 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.journals.elsevier.com/physica-a-statistical-mechpplications/|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Stanley, Michael H. R. & Buldyrev, Sergey V. & Havlin, Shlomo & Mantegna, Rosario N. & Salinger, Michael A. & Eugene Stanley, H., 1995. "Zipf plots and the size distribution of firms," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 49(4), pages 453-457, October.
- Fujiwara, Yoshi & Aoyama, Hideaki & Di Guilmi, Corrado & Souma, Wataru & Gallegati, Mauro, 2004. "Gibrat and Pareto–Zipf revisited with European firms," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 344(1), pages 112-116.
- Cook, William & Ormerod, Paul, 2003.
"Power law distribution of the frequency of demises of US firms,"
Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications,
Elsevier, vol. 324(1), pages 207-212.
- William Cook & Paul Ormerod, 2002. "Power Law Distribution of the Frequency of Demises of U.S Firms," Papers cond-mat/0212186, arXiv.org.
- Sunitiyoso, Yos & Matsumoto, Shoji, 2009. "Modelling a social dilemma of mode choice based on commuters' expectations and social learning," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 193(3), pages 904-914, March.
- Myong-Hun Chang & Joseph E Harrington Jr, 2004.
"Agent-Based Models of Organizations,"
Economics Working Paper Archive
515, The Johns Hopkins University,Department of Economics.
- Coelho, Ricardo & Richmond, Peter & Barry, Joseph & Hutzler, Stefan, 2008. "Double power laws in income and wealth distributions," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 387(15), pages 3847-3851.
- Bouchaud, Jean-Philippe & Mézard, Marc, 2000. "Wealth condensation in a simple model of economy," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 282(3), pages 536-545.
- Scarfone, A.M., 2007. "A mechanism to derive multi-power law functions: An application in the econophysics framework," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 382(1), pages 271-277.
- Gur Yaari & Andrzej Nowak & Kamil Rakocy & Sorin Solomon, 2008. "Microscopic Study Reveals the Singular Origins of Growth," Papers 0803.2201, arXiv.org.
- G. Yaari & A. Nowak & K. Rakocy & S. Solomon, 2008. "Microscopic study reveals the singular origins of growth," The European Physical Journal B - Condensed Matter and Complex Systems, Springer, vol. 62(4), pages 505-513, 04.
- Aoyama, Hideaki & Fujiwara, Yoshi & Souma, Wataru, 2004. "Kinematics and dynamics of Pareto–Zipf's law and Gibrat's law," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 344(1), pages 117-121.
- Arnab Chatterjee & Bikas K. Chakrabarti & S. S. Manna, 2003. "Money in Gas-Like Markets: Gibbs and Pareto Laws," Papers cond-mat/0311227, arXiv.org.
- Horváth, Denis & Gmitra, Martin & Kuscsik, Zoltán, 2006. "A self-adjusted Monte Carlo simulation as a model for financial markets with central regulation," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 361(2), pages 589-605.
- Jean-Philippe Bouchaud & Marc Mezard, 2000. "Wealth condensation in a simple model of economy," Science & Finance (CFM) working paper archive 500026, Science & Finance, Capital Fund Management.
- Judd, Kenneth L., 1999. "Optimal taxation and spending in general competitive growth models," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 71(1), pages 1-26, January.
- Tabuchi, Takatoshi, 1994. "Two-stage two-dimensional spatial competition between two firms," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 24(2), pages 207-227, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:phsmap:v:388:y:2009:i:17:p:3585-3592. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.