Statistical properties of world investment networks
We have performed a detailed investigation on the world investment networks constructed from the Coordinated Portfolio Investment Survey (CPIS) data of the International Monetary Fund, ranging from 2001 to 2006. The distributions of degrees and node strengths are scale-free. The weight distributions can be well modeled by the Weibull distribution. The maximum flow spanning trees of the world investment networks possess two universal allometric scaling relations, independent of time and the investment type. The topological scaling exponent is 1.17±0.02 and the flow scaling exponent is 1.03±0.01.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 388 (2009)
Issue (Month): 12 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.journals.elsevier.com/physica-a-statistical-mechpplications/|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Garlaschelli, Diego & Loffredo, Maria I., 2005. "Structure and evolution of the world trade network," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 355(1), pages 138-144.
- Yang, Yue & Yang, Huijie, 2008. "Complex network-based time series analysis," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 387(5), pages 1381-1386.
- Yael V. Hochberg & Alexander Ljungqvist & Yang Lu, 2007. "Whom You Know Matters: Venture Capital Networks and Investment Performance," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 62(1), pages 251-301, 02.
- I. Tzekina & K. Danthi & D. Rockmore, 2008. "Evolution of community structure in the world trade web," The European Physical Journal B - Condensed Matter and Complex Systems, Springer, vol. 63(4), pages 541-545, June.
- Li, Xiang & Jin, Yu Ying & Chen, Guanrong, 2004. "On the topology of the world exchange arrangements web," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 343(C), pages 573-582.
- D. Garlaschelli & M. I. Loffredo, 2005. "Structure and Evolution of the World Trade Network," Papers physics/0502066, arXiv.org, revised May 2005.
- Zhi-Qiang Jiang & Wei Chen & Wei-Xing Zhou, 2008. "Scaling in the distribution of intertrade durations of Chinese stocks," Papers 0804.3431, arXiv.org, revised Apr 2008.
- Giovanni Bonanno & Fabrizio Lillo & Rosario N. Mantegna, 2000.
"High-frequency Cross-correlation in a Set of Stocks,"
cond-mat/0009350, arXiv.org, revised Nov 2000.
- G. Bonanno & F. Lillo & R. N. Mantegna, 2001. "High-frequency cross-correlation in a set of stocks," Quantitative Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 1(1), pages 96-104.
- Stefano Battiston & Joao F. Rodrigues & Hamza Zeytinoglu, 2007.
"The Network Of Inter-Regional Direct Investment Stocks Across Europe,"
Advances in Complex Systems (ACS),
World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd., vol. 10(01), pages 29-51.
- Stefano Battiston & Jo\~ao F. Rodrigues & Hamza Zeytinoglu, 2005. "The Network of Inter-Regional Direct Investment Stocks across Europe," Papers physics/0508206, arXiv.org.
- Iori, Giulia & De Masi, Giulia & Precup, Ovidiu Vasile & Gabbi, Giampaolo & Caldarelli, Guido, 2008.
"A network analysis of the Italian overnight money market,"
Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control,
Elsevier, vol. 32(1), pages 259-278, January.
- Iori, G. & Masi, G. D. & Precup, O. V. & Gabbi, G. & Caldarelli, G., 2005. "A network analysis of the Italian oversight money market," Working Papers 05/05, Department of Economics, City University London.
- Li, Xiang & Ying Jin, Yu & Chen, Guanrong, 2003. "Complexity and synchronization of the World trade Web," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 328(1), pages 287-296.
- C. A. Hidalgo & B. Klinger & A. -L. Barabasi & R. Hausmann, 2007. "The Product Space Conditions the Development of Nations," Papers 0708.2090, arXiv.org.
- D. Garlaschelli & T. Di Matteo & T. Aste & G. Caldarelli & M. I. Loffredo, 2007. "Interplay between topology and dynamics in the World Trade Web," The European Physical Journal B - Condensed Matter and Complex Systems, Springer, vol. 57(2), pages 159-164, 05.
- Bruce Kogut & Pietro Urso & Gordon Walker, 2007. "Emergent Properties of a New Financial Market: American Venture Capital Syndication, 1960-2005," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 53(7), pages 1181-1198, July.
- Li, Ping & Wang, Bing-Hong, 2007. "Extracting hidden fluctuation patterns of Hang Seng stock index from network topologies," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 378(2), pages 519-526.
- Politi, Mauro & Scalas, Enrico, 2008. "Fitting the empirical distribution of intertrade durations," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 387(8), pages 2025-2034.
- Giovanni Bonanno & Nicolas Vandewalle & Rosario N. Mantegna, 2000. "Taxonomy of Stock Market Indices," Papers cond-mat/0001268, arXiv.org, revised Aug 2000.
- Fagiolo, Giorgio & Reyes, Javier & Schiavo, Stefano, 2008.
"On the topological properties of the world trade web: A weighted network analysis,"
Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications,
Elsevier, vol. 387(15), pages 3868-3873.
- Giorgio Fagiolo & Javier Reyes & Stefano Schiavo, 2007. "On the Topological Properties of the World Trade Web: A Weighted Network Analysis," Papers 0708.4359, arXiv.org.
- Brian J. Enquist & James H. Brown & Geoffrey B. West, 1998. "Allometric Scaling of Plant Energetics and Population Density," Working Papers 98-11-104, Santa Fe Institute.
- Jiang, Zhi-Qiang & Chen, Wei & Zhou, Wei-Xing, 2008. "Scaling in the distribution of intertrade durations of Chinese stocks," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 387(23), pages 5818-5825.
- W. Q. Duan, 2007. "Universal scaling behaviour in weighted trade networks," The European Physical Journal B - Condensed Matter and Complex Systems, Springer, vol. 59(2), pages 271-276, 09.
- Cheoljun Eom & Gabjin Oh & Seunghwan Kim, 2006. "Topological Properties of the Minimal Spanning Tree in Korean and American Stock Markets," Papers physics/0612068, arXiv.org, revised Jan 2007.
- R. Mantegna, 1999.
"Hierarchical structure in financial markets,"
The European Physical Journal B - Condensed Matter and Complex Systems,
Springer, vol. 11(1), pages 193-197, September.
- R. Mantegna, 1999. "Hierarchical structure in financial markets," The European Physical Journal B - Condensed Matter and Complex Systems, Springer, vol. 11(1), pages 193-197, September.
- D. Garlaschelli & M. I. Loffredo, 2004. "Fitness-dependent topological properties of the World Trade Web," Papers cond-mat/0403051, arXiv.org, revised Oct 2004.
- K. Bhattacharya & G. Mukherjee & J. Saramaki & K. Kaski & S. S. Manna, 2007. "The International Trade Network: weighted network analysis and modelling," Papers 0707.4343, arXiv.org, revised Mar 2008.
- Dorogovtsev, S.N. & Mendes, J.F.F., 2003. "Evolution of Networks: From Biological Nets to the Internet and WWW," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198515906.
- Geoffrey B. West & James H. Brown & Brian J. Enquist, 1999. "The Fourth Dimension of Life: Fractal Geometry and Allometric Scaling of Organisms," Working Papers 99-07-047, Santa Fe Institute.
- D. Garlaschelli & T. Di Matteo & T. Aste & G. Caldarelli & M. I. Loffredo, 2007. "Interplay between topology and dynamics in the World Trade Web," Papers physics/0701030, arXiv.org.
- Geoffrey B. West & James H. Brown & Brian J. Enquist, 1997. "A General Model for the Origin of Allometric Scaling Laws in Biology," Working Papers 97-03-019, Santa Fe Institute.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:phsmap:v:388:y:2009:i:12:p:2450-2460. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.