On the Topological Properties of the World Trade Web: A Weighted Network Analysis
This paper studies the topological properties of the World Trade Web (WTW) and its evolution over time by employing a weighted network analysis. We show that the WTW, viewed as a weighted network, displays statistical features that are very different from those obtained by using a traditional binary-network approach. In particular, we find that: (i) the majority of existing links are associated to weak trade relationships; (ii) the weighted WTW is only weakly disassortative; (iii) countries holding more intense trade relationships are more clustered.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Raja Kali & Javier Reyes, 2007. "The architecture of globalization: a network approach to international economic integration," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 38(4), pages 595-620, July.
- Li, Xiang & Ying Jin, Yu & Chen, Guanrong, 2003. "Complexity and synchronization of the World trade Web," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 328(1), pages 287-296.
- Garlaschelli, Diego & Loffredo, Maria I., 2005. "Structure and evolution of the world trade network," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 355(1), pages 138-144.
- Giorgio Fagiolo, 2006. "Directed or Undirected? A New Index to Check for Directionality of Relations in Socio-Economic Networks," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 3(34), pages 1-12.
- Dorogovtsev, S.N. & Mendes, J.F.F., 2003. "Evolution of Networks: From Biological Nets to the Internet and WWW," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198515906, March.
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:3:y:2006:i:34:p:1-12 is not listed on IDEAS
- D. Garlaschelli & M. I. Loffredo, 2005. "Structure and Evolution of the World Trade Network," Papers physics/0502066, arXiv.org, revised May 2005.
- D. Garlaschelli & M. I. Loffredo, 2004. "Fitness-dependent topological properties of the World Trade Web," Papers cond-mat/0403051, arXiv.org, revised Oct 2004.
- Andrea De Montis & Marc Barth�lemy & Alessandro Chessa & Alessandro Vespignani, 2007. "The structure of interurban traffic: a weighted network analysis," Environment and Planning B: Planning and Design, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 34(5), pages 905-924, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:arx:papers:0708.4359. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (arXiv administrators)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.