Investor response to a natural disaster: Evidence from Japan's 2011 earthquake
Japan's most powerful known earthquake struck at 2:46p.m. on Friday, March 11, 2011. We study the unusual trading behaviors of individual and foreign investors in Japan during the aftermath of this natural disaster. Individual investors typically show contrarian trading patterns, so the sharp downturn in the Nikkei should cause positive net purchases. Instead, purchases were significantly less than sales in the week after the earthquake. Foreign investors typically show positive feedback and momentum trading patterns. However, in the week after the earthquake, they seemed to have stabilized the Japanese stock markets by dramatically increasing their trading activity and net purchases.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mishkin, Frederic S., 1999.
"Lessons from the Asian crisis,"
Journal of International Money and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 18(4), pages 709-723, August.
- Andrew Worthington & Abbas Valadkhani, 2003.
"Measuring the impact of natural disasters on capital markets: An empirical application using intervention analysis,"
School of Economics and Finance Discussion Papers and Working Papers Series
154, School of Economics and Finance, Queensland University of Technology.
- Andrew Worthington & Abbas Valadkhani, 2004. "Measuring the impact of natural disasters on capital markets: an empirical application using intervention analysis," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 36(19), pages 2177-2186.
- Akiko Kamesaka, 2013. "The Great East Japan Earthquake and Investor Behavior in Japan's Equity Markets," Public Policy Review, Policy Research Institute, Ministry of Finance Japan, vol. 9(1), pages 71-86, January.
- Hamao, Y. & Mei, J., 1995.
"Living with the "Enemy": An Analysis of Foreign Investment in the Japanese Equity Market,"
95-15, Columbia - Graduate School of Business.
- Hamao, Yasushi & Mei, Jianping, 2001. "Living with the "enemy": an analysis of foreign investment in the Japanese equity market," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 20(5), pages 715-735, October.
- Kenneth A. Froot & Paul G.J. O'Connell & Mark S. Seasholes, 1998.
"The Portfolio Flows of International Investors, I,"
NBER Working Papers
6687, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kamesaka, Akiko & Nofsinger, John R. & Kawakita, Hidetaka, 2003. "Investment patterns and performance of investor groups in Japan," Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 11(1), pages 1-22, January.
- Lin Wang & Ali M Kutan, 2013. "The Impact of Natural Disasters on Stock Markets: Evidence from Japan and the US," Comparative Economic Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 55(4), pages 672-686, December.
- Hyuk Choe & Bong-Chan Kho & Rene M. Stulz, 1998.
"Do Foreign Investors Destabilize Stock Markets? The Korean Experience in 1997,"
NBER Working Papers
6661, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Choe, Hyuk & Kho, Bong-Chan & Stulz, Rene M., 1999. "Do foreign investors destabilize stock markets? The Korean experience in 1997," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 54(2), pages 227-264, October.
- Terrance Odean, 1998. "Are Investors Reluctant to Realize Their Losses?," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 53(5), pages 1775-1798, October.
- Kenneth A. Kim & John R. Nofsinger, 2005.
"Institutional Herding, Business Groups, and Economic Regimes: Evidence from Japan,"
The Journal of Business,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 78(1), pages 213-242, January.
- Kim, Kenneth A. & Nofsinger, John R., 2001. "Institutional Herding, Business Groups, and Economic Regimes: Evidence from Japan," CEI Working Paper Series 2001-16, Center for Economic Institutions, Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University.
- Grinblatt, Mark & Keloharju, Matti, 2000. "The investment behavior and performance of various investor types: a study of Finland's unique data set," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 55(1), pages 43-67, January.
- Brennan, Michael J & Cao, H Henry, 1997.
" International Portfolio Investment Flows,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 52(5), pages 1851-80, December.
- Bae, Kee-Hong & Yamada, Takeshi & Ito, Keiichi, 2008. "Interaction of investor trades and market volatility: Evidence from the Tokyo Stock Exchange," Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 16(4), pages 370-388, September.
- Karolyi, G. Andrew, 2002. "Did the Asian financial crisis scare foreign investors out of Japan?," Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 10(4), pages 411-442, September.
- Roger M. Shelor & Dwight C. Anderson & Mark L. Cross, 1990. "The Impact of the California Earthquake on Real Estate Firms' Stock Value," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 5(3), pages 335-340.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:pacfin:v:25:y:2013:i:c:p:240-252. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.