The Impact of the California Earthquake on Real Estate Firms' Stock Value
The purpose of this study is to examine the effect of the October 17, 1989 California earthquake on the stock value of firms involved in the real estate industry. The impact of the earthquake on real estate-related stock prices is examined. The findings indicate that the earthquake conveyed important new information to the market that was reflected in statistically significant negative stock returns among those firms operating in the San Francisco area. Real estate-related firms operating in other areas of California were generally unaffected by the earthquake.
Volume (Year): 5 (1990)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.aresnet.org/
|Order Information:|| Postal: Diane Quarles American Real Estate Society Manager of Member Services Clemson University Box 341323 Clemson, SC 29634-1323|
Web: http://pages.jh.edu/jrer/about/get.htm Email:
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Fields, Joseph A. & Ghosh, Chinmoy & Kidwell, David S. & Klein, Linda S., 1990. "Wealth effects of regulatory reform *1: The reaction to California's proposition 103," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 28(1-2), pages 233-250.
- Willard McIntosh & Dennis T. Officer & Jeffrey A. Born, 1989. "The Wealth Effects of Merger Activities: Further Evidence from Real Estate Investment Trusts," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 4(3), pages 141-156.
- Hoag, James W, 1980. " Towards Indices of Real Estate Value and Return," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 35(2), pages 569-80, May.
- Ronald C. Rutherford & Hugh O. Nourse, 1988. "The Impact of Corporate Real Estate Unit Formation on the Parent Firm's Value," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 3(3), pages 73-84.
- William A. Donnelly, 1989. "The Methodology of Housing Value Assessment: An Analysis," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 4(2), pages 1-12.
- Malatesta, Paul H., 1986. "Measuring Abnormal Performance: The Event Parameter Approach Using Joint Generalized Least Squares," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 21(01), pages 27-38, March.
- Asquith, Paul & Mullins, David W, Jr, 1983. "The Impact of Initiating Dividend Payments on Shareholders' Wealth," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 56(1), pages 77-96, January.
- Ambarish, Ramasastry & John, Kose & Williams, Joseph, 1987. " Efficient Signalling with Dividends and Investments," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 42(2), pages 321-43, June.
- Brown, Stephen J. & Warner, Jerold B., 1985. "Using daily stock returns : The case of event studies," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 14(1), pages 3-31, March.
- Reilly, Frank K. & Drzycimski, Eugene F., 1973. "Tests of stock market efficiency following major events," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 1(1), pages 57-72.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:jre:issued:v:5:n:3:1990:p:335-340. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (JRER Graduate Assistant/Webmaster)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.