Inter-temporal examination of the trading activities of foreign investors in the Korean stock market
In the full market-opening period of the Korean stock market (1999-2006), when foreign equity ownership reached as high as 40% of the total stock market capitalization, foreign net flows move in the same direction contemporaneously with the domestic market return, while lagged foreign flows are not followed by any significant changes in the domestic market return. On the other hand, an increase (decrease) in foreign net buy is followed by Won appreciation (depreciation) relative to the US dollar; however, the reverse relation does not hold. Throughout the entire sample period (1995-2006), foreign flows are not significantly related to stock market return volatility.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Anthony Richards, 2004.
"Big Fish in Small Ponds: The Trading Behaviour and Price Impact of Foreign Investors in Asian Emerging Equity Markets,"
RBA Research Discussion Papers
rdp2004-05, Reserve Bank of Australia.
- Richards, Anthony, 2005. "Big Fish in Small Ponds: The Trading Behavior and Price Impact of Foreign Investors in Asian Emerging Equity Markets," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 40(01), pages 1-27, March.
- Woochan Kim & Shang-Jin Wei, 1999.
"Foreign Portfolio Investors Before and during a Crisis,"
OECD Economics Department Working Papers
210, OECD Publishing.
- Kim, Woochan & Wei, Shang-Jin, 2002. "Foreign portfolio investors before and during a crisis," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 56(1), pages 77-96, January.
- Woochan Kim & Shang-Jin Wei, 1999. "Foreign Portfolio Investors before and during a Crisis," CID Working Papers 6, Center for International Development at Harvard University.
- Woochan Kim & Shang-Jin Wei, 1999. "Foreign Portfolio Investors Before and During a Crisis," NBER Working Papers 6968, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Wei, S.J. & Kim, W., 1999. "Foreign Portfolio Investors Before and During a Crisis," Papers 6, Chicago - Graduate School of Business.
- Geert Bekaert & Campbell R. Harvey, 1997.
"Foreign Speculators and Emerging Equity Markets,"
William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series
79, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Geert Bekaert & Campbell R. Harvey, 1995.
"Emerging Equity Market Volatility,"
NBER Working Papers
5307, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hyuk Choe & Bong-Chan Kho & Rene M. Stulz, 2004.
"Do Domestic Investors Have an Edge? The Trading Experience of Foreign Investors in Korea,"
NBER Working Papers
10502, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hyuk Choe & Bong-Chan Kho & René M. Stulz, 2005. "Do Domestic Investors Have an Edge? The Trading Experience of Foreign Investors in Korea," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 18(3), pages 795-829.
- Choe, Hyuk & Kho, Bong-Chan & Stulz, Rene M., 2004. "Do Domestic Investors Have an Edge? The Trading Experience of Foreign Investors in Korea," Working Paper Series 2004-6, Ohio State University, Charles A. Dice Center for Research in Financial Economics.
- John M. Griffin & Federico Nardari & René M. Stulz, 2004. "Are Daily Cross-Border Equity Flows Pushed or Pulled?," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 86(3), pages 641-657, August.
- Engle, Robert F & Lilien, David M & Robins, Russell P, 1987. "Estimating Time Varying Risk Premia in the Term Structure: The Arch-M Model," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(2), pages 391-407, March.
- Froot, Kenneth A. & O'Connell, Paul G. J. & Seasholes, Mark S., 2001.
"The portfolio flows of international investors,"
Journal of Financial Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 59(2), pages 151-193, February.
- Michael J. Brennan. and H. Henry Cao., 1997.
"International Portfolio Investment Flows,"
Research Program in Finance Working Papers
RPF-271, University of California at Berkeley.
- Kim, E Han & Singal, Vijay, 2000. "Stock Market Openings: Experience of Emerging Economies," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 73(1), pages 25-66, January.
- Kim, E Han & Singal, Vijay, 2000. "Erratum [Stock Market Openings: Experience of Emerging Economies]," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 73(4), pages na, October.
- Bollerslev, Tim & Chou, Ray Y. & Kroner, Kenneth F., 1992. "ARCH modeling in finance : A review of the theory and empirical evidence," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 52(1-2), pages 5-59.
- Choe, Hyuk & Kho, Bong-Chan & Stulz, Rene M., 1999.
"Do foreign investors destabilize stock markets? The Korean experience in 1997,"
Journal of Financial Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 54(2), pages 227-264, October.
- Hyuk Choe & Bong-Chan Kho & Rene M. Stulz, 1998. "Do Foreign Investors Destabilize Stock Markets? The Korean Experience in 1997," NBER Working Papers 6661, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bekaert, Geert & Harvey, Campbell R., 2003. "Emerging markets finance," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 10(1-2), pages 3-56, February.
- Grinblatt, Mark & Keloharju, Matti, 2000. "The investment behavior and performance of various investor types: a study of Finland's unique data set," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 55(1), pages 43-67, January.
- Dahlquist, Magnus & Robertsson, Goran, 2001. "Direct foreign ownership, institutional investors, and firm characteristics," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 59(3), pages 413-440, March.
- Karolyi, G. Andrew, 2002. "Did the Asian financial crisis scare foreign investors out of Japan?," Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 10(4), pages 411-442, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:pacfin:v:17:y:2009:i:2:p:243-256. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.