Measuring the effect of postal saving privatization on the Japanese banking industry: Evidence from the 2005 general election
In this study, we empirically investigate the effect of the privatization of Japan's postal savings system, the world largest's financial institution, on the country's banking industry, focusing on the general election of the House of Representatives on September 11, 2005. Econometric results show that the privatization of the postal savings system significantly raises the wealth of mega banks but not that of regional banks. Furthermore, this privatization increases the risk to all categories of banks, and the banks that are dependent on personal loans increase their risk in response to the privatization of the postal savings system. These results suggest that incumbent private banks might seek new business or give loans to riskier customers that they had not served before the privatization to gear up for the entry of the Japan Post Bank (JPB) into the market for personal loans. Hence, privatization of the postal savings system boosts competition in the Japanese banking sector.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Saunders, Anthony & Smirlock, Michael, 1987. "Intra- and Interindustry Effects of Bank Securities Market Activities: The Case of Discount Brokerage," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 22(04), pages 467-482, December.
- Chen, Zhian & Li, Donghui & Moshirian, Fariborz, 2005. "China's financial services industry: The intra-industry effects of privatization of the Bank of China Hong Kong," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 29(8-9), pages 2291-2324, August.
- Sapienza, Paola, 2004. "The effects of government ownership on bank lending," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 72(2), pages 357-384, May.
- Chan, Yuk-Shee & Greenbaum, Stuart I. & Thakor, Anjan V., 1986.
"Information reusability, competition and bank asset quality,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 10(2), pages 243-253, June.
- Yuk-Shee Chan & Stuart I. Greenbaum & Anjan V. Thakor, 2004. "Information Reusability, Competition and Bank Asset Quality," Finance 0411049, EconWPA.
- Takero Doi & Takeo Hoshi, 2002.
"Paying for the FILP,"
NBER Working Papers
9385, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- La Porta, Rafael & Lopez-de-Silanes, Florencio & Shleifer, Andrei, 2001.
"Government Ownership of Banks,"
Working Paper Series
rwp01-016, Harvard University, John F. Kennedy School of Government.
- Rafael La Porta & Florencio Lopez-deSilanes & Andrei Shleifer, 2000. "Government Ownership of Banks," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1890, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Rafael La Porta & Florencio Lopezde-Silanes & Andrei Shleifer, 2000. "Government Ownership of Banks," NBER Working Papers 7620, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Iwamoto, Yasushi, 2002.
"The Fiscal Investment and Loan Program in Transition,"
Journal of the Japanese and International Economies,
Elsevier, vol. 16(4), pages 583-604, December.
- Yasushi Iwamoto, 2002. "The Fiscal Investment and Loan Program in Transition," CIRJE F-Series CIRJE-F-168, CIRJE, Faculty of Economics, University of Tokyo.
- repec:hrv:faseco:30747188 is not listed on IDEAS
- Konishi, Masaru & Yasuda, Yukihiro, 2004. "Factors affecting bank risk taking: Evidence from Japan," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 28(1), pages 215-232, January.
- Berger, Allen N. & Klapper, Leora F. & Turk-Ariss, Rima, 2008.
"Bank competition and financial stability,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
4696, The World Bank.
- Uwe Vollmer & Diemo Dietrich & Ralf bebenroth, 2009. "Behold the 'Behemoth'. The privatization of Japan Post Bank," Discussion Paper Series 236, Research Institute for Economics & Business Administration, Kobe University.
- Imai, Masami, 2012. "Local economic effects of a government-owned depository institution: Evidence from a natural experiment in Japan," Journal of Financial Intermediation, Elsevier, vol. 21(1), pages 1-22.
- Dinc, I. Serdar, 2005. "Politicians and banks: Political influences on government-owned banks in emerging markets," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 77(2), pages 453-479, August.
- Nobuyoshi Yamori & Nobuyoshi Yamori, 2005.
"The Public Financial System in Japan - Re-verification of the ballooning theory and the privileged government enterprise theory,"
Finance Working Papers
22319, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Nobuyoshi Yamori & Narunto Nishigaki, 2005. "The Public Financial System in Japan - Re-verification of the ballooning theory and the privileged government enterprise theory -," Public Policy Review, Policy Research Institute, Ministry of Finance Japan, vol. 1(1), pages 33-48, March.
- Masami Imai, 2009. "Ideologies, vested interest groups, and postal saving privatization in Japan," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 138(1), pages 137-160, January.
- Carow, Kenneth A. & Heron, Randall A., 2002. "Capital market reactions to the passage of the Financial Services Modernization Act of 1999," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 42(3), pages 465-485.
- Keeley, Michael C, 1990. "Deposit Insurance, Risk, and Market Power in Banking," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 80(5), pages 1183-1200, December.
- Kuwayama, Patricia-Hagan, 2000. "Postal Banking in the United States and Japan: A Comparative Analysis," Monetary and Economic Studies, Institute for Monetary and Economic Studies, Bank of Japan, vol. 18(1), pages 73-104, May.
- John H. Boyd & Gianni De Nicolã, 2005. "The Theory of Bank Risk Taking and Competition Revisited," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 60(3), pages 1329-1343, 06.
- Cargill, Thomas F. & Yoshino, Naoyuki, 2003. "Postal Savings and Fiscal Investment in Japan: The PSS and the FILP," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780199257348.
- Clarke, George R.G. & Cull, Robert & Shirley, Mary M., 2005. "Bank privatization in developing countries: A summary of lessons and findings," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 29(8-9), pages 1905-1930, August.
- Yuko Kaneko & Masahiko Metoki, 2008. "Postal Savings for National Development—The Experience of Japan and Future Perspective in a Globalized World," Public Organization Review, Springer, vol. 8(3), pages 233-252, September.
- Rebecca Demsetz & Marc R. Saidenberg & Philip E. Strahan, 1996. "Banks with something to lose: the disciplinary role of franchise value," Economic Policy Review, Federal Reserve Bank of New York, issue Oct, pages 1-14.
- Millon-Cornett, Marcia H. & Tehranian, Hassan, 1989. "Stock market reactions to the depository institutions deregulation and monetary control act of 1980," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 13(1), pages 81-100, March.
- Salas, Vicente & Saurina, Jesus, 2003. "Deregulation, market power and risk behaviour in Spanish banks," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 47(6), pages 1061-1075, December.
- Masami Imai, 2009. "Political Determinants of Government Loans in Japan," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 52(1), pages 41-70, 02.
- Otchere, Isaac & Chan, Janus, 2003. "Intra-industry effects of bank privatization: A clinical analysis of the privatization of the Commonwealth Bank of Australia," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 27(5), pages 949-975, May.
- Otchere, Isaac, 2009. "Competitive and value effects of bank privatization in developed countries," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 33(12), pages 2373-2385, December.
- Otchere, Isaac, 2005. "Do privatized banks in middle- and low-income countries perform better than rival banks? An intra-industry analysis of bank privatization," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 29(8-9), pages 2067-2093, August.
- Asim Ijaz Khwaja & Atif Mian, 2005. "Do Lenders Favor Politically Connected Firms? Rent Provision in an Emerging Financial Market," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 120(4), pages 1371-1411.
- Kevin C. Murdock & Thomas F. Hellmann & Joseph E. Stiglitz, 2000. "Liberalization, Moral Hazard in Banking, and Prudential Regulation: Are Capital Requirements Enough?," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 90(1), pages 147-165, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:pacfin:v:21:y:2013:i:1:p:967-983. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.