Equity premia in emerging markets: National characteristics as determinants
There is little research on international equity premia estimates. Using improved and consistent methodologies covering a recent 8-year period, this paper estimates annual equity premia for sixteen emerging markets and finds that they are generally low even compared to risk-free rates. In addition, based on a panel-data regression analysis, this paper finds that, for emerging markets, equity premia narrow with higher market synchronicity, higher economic inequality and better civil liberties, while equity premia widen with better regulatory quality and investor protection and greater international corporate bond spreads. Our results suggest the possibility that in many emerging markets there are non-pecuniary benefits to holding equity or that controlling ownerships have preferential access to capital. These results pose important questions regarding the role of equity in emerging markets. Given the importance of the equity premium, these results should be of great interest to practitioners and researchers.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- James G. MacKinnon & Halbert White, 1983.
"Some Heteroskedasticity Consistent Covariance Matrix Estimators with Improved Finite Sample Properties,"
537, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- MacKinnon, James G. & White, Halbert, 1985. "Some heteroskedasticity-consistent covariance matrix estimators with improved finite sample properties," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 29(3), pages 305-325, September.
- Rafael La Porta & Florencio Lopez-de-Silanes & Andrei Shleifer & Robert W. Vishny, 1998.
"Law and Finance,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 106(6), pages 1113-1155, December.
- Rafael LaPorta & Florencio Lopez de-Silanes & Andrei Shleifer & Robert W. Vishny, 1996. "Law and Finance," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1768, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Rafael LaPorta & Florencio Lopez-de-Silanes & Andrei Shleifer & Robert W. Vishny, . "Law and Finance," Working Paper 19451, Harvard University OpenScholar.
- La Porta, Rafael & Lopez-de-Silanes, Florencio & Shleifer, Andrei & Vishny, Robert W., 1998. "Law and Finance," Scholarly Articles 3451310, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Rafael La Porta & Florencio Lopez-de-Silane & Andrei Shleifer & Robert W. Vishny, 1996. "Law and Finance," NBER Working Papers 5661, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Oliver Hart, 2001.
Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers
1924, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Ivo Welch, 2000.
"Views of Financial Economists on the Equity Premium and on Professional Controversies,"
Yale School of Management Working Papers
ysm122, Yale School of Management.
- Welch, Ivo, 2000. "Views of Financial Economists on the Equity Premium and on Professional Controversies," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 73(4), pages 501-37, October.
- Alexander Dyck & Luigi Zingales, 2004.
"Private Benefits of Control: An International Comparison,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 59(2), pages 537-600, 04.
- Dyck, Alexander & Zingales, Luigi, 2002. "Private Benefits of Control: An International Comparison," CEPR Discussion Papers 3177, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Alexander Dyck & Luigi Zingales, 2002. "Private Benefits of Control: An International Comparison," NBER Working Papers 8711, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Randall Morck & David Stangeland & Bernard Yeung, 2000.
"Inherited Wealth, Corporate Control, and Economic Growth The Canadian Disease?,"
in: Concentrated Corporate Ownership, pages 319-372
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Randall K. Morck & David A. Stangeland & Bernard Yeung, 1998. "Inherited Wealth, Corporate Control and Economic Growth: The Canadian Disease," NBER Working Papers 6814, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Chuck C Y Kwok & Solomon Tadesse, 2006.
"National culture and financial systems,"
Journal of International Business Studies,
Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 37(2), pages 227-247, March.
- Hart, Oliver, 1995. "Firms, Contracts, and Financial Structure," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198288817, March.
- Rafael La Porta & Florencio Lopez-de-Silane & Andrei Shleifer, 2003.
"What Works in Securities Law?,"
NBER Working Papers
9882, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Axel Dreher, 2006.
"Does globalization affect growth? Evidence from a new index of globalization,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 38(10), pages 1091-1110.
- Axel Dreher, 2005. "Does Globalization Affect Growth? Evidence from a new Index of Globalization," TWI Research Paper Series 6, Thurgauer Wirtschaftsinstitut, Universität Konstanz.
- Omrane Guedhami & Dev Mishra, 2009. "Excess Control, Corporate Governance and Implied Cost of Equity: International Evidence," The Financial Review, Eastern Finance Association, vol. 44(4), pages 489-524, November.
- Collins, Daniel W. & Maydew, Edward L. & Weiss, Ira S., 1997. "Changes in the value-relevance of earnings and book values over the past forty years," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 24(1), pages 39-67, December.
- Daniel Kaufmann & Aart Kraay & Massimo Mastruzzi, 2004. "Governance Matters III: Governance Indicators for 1996, 1998, 2000, and 2002," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 18(2), pages 253-287.
- Juan Botero & Simeon Djankov & Rafael LaPorta & Florencio López-de-Silanes & Andrei Shleifer, .
"The Regulation of Labor,"
19483, Harvard University OpenScholar.
- Janet L. Yellen, 2007. "Recent financial developments and the U.S. economic outlook," FRBSF Economic Letter, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco, issue sep14.
- Shackman, Joshua D., 2006. "The equity premium and market integration: Evidence from international data," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 16(2), pages 155-179, April.
- Mishra, Dev R. & O'Brien, Thomas J., 2005. "Risk and ex ante cost of equity estimates of emerging market firms," Emerging Markets Review, Elsevier, vol. 6(2), pages 107-120, June.
- Aggarwal, Raj & Mohanty, Sunil & Song, Frank, 1995. "Are Survey Forecasts of Macroeconomic Variables Rational?," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 68(1), pages 99-119, January.
- Harvey, Campbell R, 1995.
"Predictable Risk and Returns in Emerging Markets,"
Review of Financial Studies,
Society for Financial Studies, vol. 8(3), pages 773-816.
- Luzi Hail & Christian Leuz, 2006. "International Differences in the Cost of Equity Capital: Do Legal Institutions and Securities Regulation Matter?," Journal of Accounting Research, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 44(3), pages 485-531, 06.
- Barclay, Michael J. & Holderness, Clifford G. & Pontiff, Jeffrey, 1993.
"Private benefits from block ownership and discounts on closed-end funds,"
Journal of Financial Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 33(3), pages 263-291, June.
- Barclay, M.J. & Holderness, C.G. & Pontiff, J., 1991. "Private Benefits form Block Ownership and Discounts on Closed-end Funds," Papers 91-01, Rochester, Business - Financial Research and Policy Studies.
- Elroy Dimson & Paul Marsh & Mike Staunton, 2003. "Global Evidence On The Equity Risk Premium," Journal of Applied Corporate Finance, Morgan Stanley, vol. 15(4), pages 27-38.
- Zingales, Luigi, 1995. "What Determines the Value of Corporate Votes?," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 110(4), pages 1047-73, November.
- Shahid Ebrahim, M. & Mathur, Ike, 2001. "Investor heterogeneity, market segmentation, leverage and the equity premium puzzle," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 25(10), pages 1897-1919, October.
- Ergungor, O. Emre, 2004. "Market- vs. bank-based financial systems: Do rights and regulations really matter?," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 28(12), pages 2869-2887, December.
- Doidge, Craig, 2004. "U.S. cross-listings and the private benefits of control: evidence from dual-class firms," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 72(3), pages 519-553, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:mulfin:v:18:y:2008:i:4:p:389-404. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.