Sequential bargaining with common values
We study the alternating-offers bargaining problem of assigning an indivisible and commonly valued object to one of two players who jointly own this object. The players are asymmetrically informed about the object's value and have veto power over any settlement. There is no depreciation during the bargaining process which involves signalling of private information. We characterise the perfect Bayesian equilibrium outcome of this game which is unique if offers are required to be strictly increasing. Equilibrium agreement is reached gradually and non-deterministically. The better informed player obtains a rent.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Paul Milgrom & Robert J. Weber, 1981.
"The Value of Information in a Sealed-Bid Auction,"
462, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Jesse A. Schwartz & Quan Wen, 2007. "Wage Negotiation Under Good Faith Bargaining," International Game Theory Review (IGTR), World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd., vol. 9(03), pages 551-564.
- Jeremy Bulow & Ming Huang & Paul Klemperer, 1999.
"Toeholds and Takeovers,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 107(3), pages 427-454, June.
- Bulow, Jeremy I. & Huang, Ming & Klemperer, Paul, 1996. "Toeholds and Takeovers," CEPR Discussion Papers 1486, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Paul Klemperer & Jeremy Bulow, 1998. "Toeholds and Takeovers," Economics Series Working Papers 1998-W04, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Jeremy Bulow & Ming Huang & Paul Klemperer, 1996. "Toeholds and Takeovers," Finance 9608001, EconWPA.
- Jeremy Bulow & Ming Huang & Paul Klemperer, 1999. "Toeholds and Takeovers," Finance 9903005, EconWPA.
- Ausubel, Lawrence M. & Deneckere, Raymond J., 1989. "A direct mechanism characterization of sequential bargaining with one-sided incomplete information," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 48(1), pages 18-46, June.
- Peter Cramton, 1984.
"Bargaining with Incomplete Information: An Infinite-Horizon Model with Two-Sided Uncertainty,"
Papers of Peter Cramton
84res, University of Maryland, Department of Economics - Peter Cramton, revised 09 Jun 1998.
- Cramton, Peter C, 1984. "Bargaining with Incomplete Information: An Infinite-Horizon Model with Two-Sided Uncertainty," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 51(4), pages 579-93, October.
- Evans, Robert, 1989. "Sequential Bargaining with Correlated Values," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 56(4), pages 499-510, October.
- Olivier Compte & Philippe Jehiel, 2004.
"Gradualism in Bargaining and Contribution Games,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 71(4), pages 975-1000, October.
- Ponsati, Clara & Sakovics, Jozsef, 1995.
"The war of attrition with incomplete information,"
Mathematical Social Sciences,
Elsevier, vol. 29(3), pages 239-254, June.
- Dao-Zhi Zeng, 2007. "Amended Final-offer Arbitration Outperforms Final-offer Arbitration," American Law and Economics Review, Oxford University Press, vol. 9(2), pages 384-407.
- Ausubel, Lawrence M. & Cramton, Peter & Deneckere, Raymond J., 2002.
"Bargaining with incomplete information,"
Handbook of Game Theory with Economic Applications,
in: R.J. Aumann & S. Hart (ed.), Handbook of Game Theory with Economic Applications, edition 1, volume 3, chapter 50, pages 1897-1945
- Tirole, Jean & Levine, David & Fudenberg, Drew, 1987.
"Incomplete Information Bargaining with Outside Opportunities,"
3196301, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Fudenberg, Drew & Levine, David K & Tirole, Jean, 1987. "Incomplete Information Bargaining with Outside Opportunities," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 102(1), pages 37-50, February.
- Drew Fudenberg & David K. Levine & Jean Tirole, 1987. "Incomplete Information Bargaining with Outside Opportunities," Levine's Working Paper Archive 229, David K. Levine.
- Ariel Rubinstein, 2010.
"Perfect Equilibrium in a Bargaining Model,"
Levine's Working Paper Archive
252, David K. Levine.
- Brooks, Richard & Landeo, Claudia & Spier, Kathryn, 2009.
"Trigger Happy or Gun Shy? Dissolving Common-Value Partnerships with Texas Shootouts,"
2009-1, University of Alberta, Department of Economics, revised 01 Jul 2013.
- Richard R. W. Brooks & Claudia M. Landeo & Kathryn E. Spier, 2010. "Trigger happy or gun shy? Dissolving common-value partnerships with Texas shootouts," RAND Journal of Economics, RAND Corporation, vol. 41(4), pages 649-673.
- Sakovics Jozsef, 1993. "Delay in Bargaining Games with Complete Information," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 59(1), pages 78-95, February.
- Johannes H�rner & Julian Jamison, 2008. "Sequential Common-Value Auctions with Asymmetrically Informed Bidders," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 75(2), pages 475-498.
- Joel Sobel & Takahashi, 1983. "A Multi-stage Model of Bargaining," Levine's Working Paper Archive 255, David K. Levine.
- Raymond Deneckere & Meng-Yu Liang, 2006. "Bargaining with Interdependent Values," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 74(5), pages 1309-1364, 09.
- Riccardo Calcagno & Stefano Lovo, 2006. "Bid-Ask Price Competition with Asymmetric Information between Market-Makers," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 73(2), pages 329-355.
- Engelbrecht-Wiggans, Richard & Milgrom, Paul R. & Weber, Robert J., 1983. "Competitive bidding and proprietary information," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 11(2), pages 161-169, April.
- John Morgan, 2004. "Dissolving a partnership (un)fairly," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 23(4), pages 909-923, May.
- Tirole, Jean, 1982. "On the Possibility of Speculation under Rational Expectations," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(5), pages 1163-81, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:mateco:v:46:y:2010:i:1:p:109-121. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.