Electricity reform in Romania
Romania is a net exporter of electricity to the SE Europe region. Its performance of this role will increase in importance with (a) the completion of another nuclear generator and (b) improvement in capacity for international transmission. Romania has committed itself to an electricity restructuring plan that includes vertical separation, but plans remain uncertain regarding the horizontal restructuring of generation. Among the more important issues yet to be decided are (a) how hydro capacity will be allocated - it has more than 1/4 of capacity and enjoys low costs - and (b) how many thermal generation enterprises will be created, and with what assets. With more than 1/2 of the thermal capacity accounted for by CHP plants and with a winter demand peak for the foreseeable future, there is a real danger of inflexibility and a lack of competitiveness in a liberalized wholesale electricity market.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hogan, William W, 2002. "Electricity Market Restructuring: Reforms of Reforms," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 21(1), pages 103-32, January.
- Scott Atkinson & Claudia Halabí, 2005. "Economic Efficiency and Productivity Growth in the Post-Privatization Chilean Hydroelectric Industry," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 23(2), pages 245-273, 05.
- Paul L. Joskow, 2001.
"California's Electricity Crisis,"
NBER Working Papers
8442, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Russell Pittman, 2003. "Vertical Restructuring (or Not) of the Infrastructure Sectors of Transition Economies," Journal of Industry, Competition and Trade, Springer, vol. 3(1), pages 5-26, March.
- Newbery, David M., 2004. "Regulation and competition policy: longer-term boundaries," Utilities Policy, Elsevier, vol. 12(2), pages 93-95, June.
- Borenstein, Severin & Bushnell, James, 1999.
"An Empirical Analysis of the Potential for Market Power in California's Electricity Industry,"
Journal of Industrial Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 47(3), pages 285-323, September.
- Severin Borenstein & James Bushnell, 1998. "An Empirical Analysis of the Potential for Market Power in California's Electricity Industry," NBER Working Papers 6463, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Carl Blumstein & Lee Friedman & Richard Green, 2002. "The History of Electricity Restructuring in California," Journal of Industry, Competition and Trade, Springer, vol. 2(1), pages 9-38, June.
- Pittman, Russell, 2007. "Restructuring the Russian electricity sector: Re-creating California?," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(3), pages 1872-1883, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:juipol:v:17:y:2009:i:1:p:114-124. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.