Moving to the mines: Motivations of men and women for migration to artisanal and small-scale mining sites in Eastern Democratic Republic of the Congo
Download full text from publisher
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
- Sadia Banchirigah & Gavin Hilson, 2010. "De-agrarianization, re-agrarianization and local economic development: Re-orientating livelihoods in African artisanal mining communities," Policy Sciences, Springer;Society of Policy Sciences, vol. 43(2), pages 157-180, June.
- Bryceson, Deborah Fahy & Jønsson, Jesper Bosse, 2010. "Gold Digging Careers in Rural East Africa: Small-Scale Miners' Livelihood Choices," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 38(3), pages 379-392, March.
- Gottschang, Thomas R, 1987. "Economic Change, Disasters, and Migration: The Historical Case of Manchuria," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 35(3), pages 461-490, April.
- Geenen, Sara, 2014. "Dispossession, displacement and resistance: Artisanal miners in a gold concession in South-Kivu, Democratic Republic of Congo," Resources Policy, Elsevier, vol. 40(C), pages 90-99.
- Wouterse, Fleur & Taylor, J. Edward, 2008.
"Migration and Income Diversification:: Evidence from Burkina Faso,"
Elsevier, vol. 36(4), pages 625-640, April.
- Taylor, J. Edward & Wouterse, Fleur, 2006. "Migration and Income Diversification Evidence from Burkina Faso," 2006 Annual Meeting, August 12-18, 2006, Queensland, Australia 25379, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Wouterse, Fleur & Taylor, J. Edward, 2006. "Migration and Income Diversification Evidence from Burkina Faso," Working Papers 190914, University of California, Davis, Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics.
- Hilson, Gavin, 2009. "Small-scale mining, poverty and economic development in sub-Saharan Africa: An overview," Resources Policy, Elsevier, vol. 34(1-2), pages 1-5.
- Pratikshya Bohra-Mishra & Douglas Massey, 2011. "Individual Decisions to Migrate During Civil Conflict," Demography, Springer;Population Association of America (PAA), vol. 48(2), pages 401-424, May.
- Ibáñez, Ana Maria & Vélez, Carlos Eduardo, 2008.
"Civil Conflict and Forced Migration: The Micro Determinants and Welfare Losses of Displacement in Colombia,"
Elsevier, vol. 36(4), pages 659-676, April.
- Ana Maria Ibáñez & Carlos Eduardo Vélez, 2005. "Civil Conflict And Forced Migration: The Micro Determinantes And The Welfare Losses Of Displacement In Colombia," Documentos CEDE 002127, Universidad de los Andes - CEDE.
- Engel, Stefanie & Ibanez, Ana Maria, 2007.
"Displacement Due to Violence in Colombia: A Household-Level Analysis,"
Economic Development and Cultural Change,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 55(2), pages 335-365, January.
- Stefanie Engel & Ana MarÃa IbÃ¡Ã±ez, 2007. "Displacement Due to Violence in Colombia: A Household-Level Analysis," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 55, pages 335-365.
- Sara Geenen, 2013. "‘Who Seeks, Finds’: How Artisanal Miners and Traders Benefit from Gold in the Eastern Democratic Republic of Congo," The European Journal of Development Research, Palgrave Macmillan;European Association of Development Research and Training Institutes (EADI), vol. 25(2), pages 197-212, April.
- Kristian Skrede Gleditsch & Sara M. T. Polo, 2016. "Ethnic inclusion, democracy, and terrorism," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 169(3), pages 207-229, December.
- Gavin Hilson & Chris Garforth, 2013. "‘Everyone Now is Concentrating on the Mining’: Drivers and Implications of Rural Economic Transition in the Eastern Region of Ghana," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 49(3), pages 348-364, March.
- Mathias Czaika & Krisztina Kis-Katos, 2009.
"Civil Conflict and Displacement: Village-Level Determinants of Forced Migration in Aceh,"
Journal of Peace Research,
Peace Research Institute Oslo, vol. 46(3), pages 399-418, May.
- Mathias Czaika & Krisztina Kis-Katos, 2007. "Civil Conflict and Displacement: Village-Level Determinants of Forced Migration in Aceh," HiCN Working Papers 32, Households in Conflict Network.
- Mathias Czaika & Krisztina Kis-Katos, 2008. "Civil conflict and displacement Village-level determinants of forced migration in Aceh," Discussion Paper Series 4, Department of International Economic Policy, University of Freiburg, revised Apr 2008.
- Werthmann, Katja, 2009. "Working in a boom-town: Female perspectives on gold-mining in Burkina Faso," Resources Policy, Elsevier, vol. 34(1-2), pages 18-23.
- Marcela Cerrutti & Douglas Massey, 2001. "On the auspices of female migration from Mexico to the United States," Demography, Springer;Population Association of America (PAA), vol. 38(2), pages 187-200, May.
- Gavin Hilson & Sadia Mohammed Banchirigah, 2009. "Are Alternative Livelihood Projects Alleviating Poverty in Mining Communities? Experiences from Ghana," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 45(2), pages 172-196.
- Gavin Hilson & Mark Hirons & Rachel Perks, 2011. "‘Can I Go?’—Exiting The Artisanal Mining Sector In The Democratic Republic Of Congo," Journal of International Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 23(8), pages 1115-1127, November.
- Schultz, T Paul, 1971. "Rural-Urban Migration in Colombia," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 53(2), pages 157-163, May.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- repec:gam:jsusta:v:11:y:2019:i:3:p:616-:d:200676 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:gam:jsusta:v:11:y:2019:i:11:p:3027-:d:235162 is not listed on IDEAS
More about this item
KeywordsMining; Migration; DRC; Conflict; Insecurity;
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jrpoli:v:51:y:2017:i:c:p:115-122. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu). General contact details of provider: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/inca/30467 .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.