Quantitative impacts of alternative East Asia Free Trade Areas: A Computable General Equilibrium (CGE) assessment
This paper analysis the relative economic effects of four East Asian Free Trade Area (FTA) options. A particular feature of the model, which is an extension from a standard CGE model, is the introduction of unemployment with the intention of assessing the changes in the real wage and unemployment in each region under each of those options. The simulation results suggest that a preferred strategy for member regions is the "East Asia FTA" multilateral agreement,1 which would yield higher gains in welfare and greater economic impacts than any of the other possible bilateral agreements - ASEAN-China, ASEAN-Japan and ASEAN-Korea. However, such an 'ideal' multilateral economic integration might be deterred by the uneasy relationship between Japan and other East Asian nations, reflecting their economic and political differences.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Blanchflower, David G. & Oswald, Andrew J., 2005.
"The Wage Curve Reloaded,"
IZA Discussion Papers
1665, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- David G. Blanchflower & Andrew J. Oswald, 2005. "The Wage Curve Reloaded," NBER Working Papers 11338, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Haaland, Jan I., 1991. "Modeling general equilibrium in a small, open economy: A Norwegian example," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 13(4), pages 571-594.
- Peter Nijkamp & Jacques Poot, 2005. "The Last Word on the Wage Curve?," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 19(3), pages 421-450, 07.
- Peter Nijkamp & Jacques Poot, 2002. "The Last Word on the Wage Curve?," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 02-029/3, Tinbergen Institute, revised 13 Mar 2003.
- Bohringer, Christoph & Loschel, Andreas, 2006. "Computable general equilibrium models for sustainability impact assessment: Status quo and prospects," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 60(1), pages 49-64, November.
- Ramos Mabugu & Margaret Chitiga, 2007. "Poverty and Inequality Effects of a High Growth Scenario in South Africa: A Dynamic Microsimulation CGE Analysis," Working Papers 200716, University of Pretoria, Department of Economics.
- Ramos Mabugu & Margaret Chitiga, 2007. "Poverty and inequality effects of a high growth scenario in South Africa: A dynamic microsimulation CGE analysis," Working Papers 04/2007, Stellenbosch University, Department of Economics.
- Roberto A. De Santis, 2003. "The Impact of a Customs Union with the European Union on Internal Migration in Turkey," Journal of Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 43(2), pages 349-372.
- David G. Blanchflower & Andrew J. Oswald, 1995. "An Introduction to the Wage Curve," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 9(3), pages 153-167, Summer.
- Shoven, John B & Whalley, John, 1984. "Applied General-Equilibrium Models of Taxation and International Trade: An Introduction and Survey," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 22(3), pages 1007-1051, September.
- Hertel, Thomas, 1997. "Global Trade Analysis: Modeling and applications," GTAP Books, Center for Global Trade Analysis, Department of Agricultural Economics, Purdue University, number 7685.
- Robert Küster & ingo Ellersdorfer & Ulrich Fahl, 2007. "A CGE-Analysis of Energy Policies Considering Labor Market Imperfections and Technology Specifications," Working Papers 2007.7, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Carneiro, Francisco Galrao & Arbache, Jorge Saba, 2003. "The Impacts of Trade on the Brazilian Labor Market: A CGE Model Approach," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 31(9), pages 1581-1595, September.
- Fugazza, Marco & Maur, Jean-Christophe, 2008. "Non-tariff barriers in CGE models: How useful for policy?," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 30(3), pages 475-490.
- Devarajan, Shantayanan & Go, Delfin S., 1998. "The Simplest Dynamic General-Equilibrium Model of an Open Economy," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 20(6), pages 677-714, December. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)