European cohesion policy and the Spanish economy: A policy discussion case
This paper offers an empirical evaluation of the economic effects of the European Structural and Cohesion aids received by Spain in the period 1989 through 2006 amounting to a total of almost [euro]100 billion at 1999 prices. To that end, we use the HERMIN-Spain model. Our results suggest that these EU packages have contributed significantly to Spanish economic growth having increased the levels of income and promoting real convergence with the most advanced economies of the Union. The successive aid programmes produced an average increase of almost 0.4 percentage points in the real annual growth rate of the Spanish economy with respect to the situation that would have ensued without the European grants. This translates into an average increase in per capita income of [euro]638 each year (at 1999 prices) over the entire period, and of [euro]1027 per capita if we refer to the period 2000 through 2006. Without the structural aids, in 2006, the Spanish per capita income index relative to the average for EU-15 would be, ceteris paribus, almost 6 percentage points lower. The paper ends with a simulation of the likely consequences due to the reduction in structural and cohesion grants suffered by many Spanish regions that will cease to belong to the Objective 1 club after 2007 as a result of their natural or statistical convergence.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bradley, John & Modesto, Leonor & Sosvilla-Rivero, Simon, 1995. "Similarity and diversity in the EU periphery : A HERMIN-based investigation," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 12(3), pages 313-322, July.
- Abbas Valadkhani, 2003.
"History Of Macroeconometric Modelling: Lessons From Past Experience,"
School of Economics and Finance Discussion Papers and Working Papers Series
131, School of Economics and Finance, Queensland University of Technology.
- Valadkhani, Abbas, 2004. "History of macroeconometric modelling: lessons from past experience," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 26(2), pages 265-281, February.
- Polo, C. & sancho, F., 1990.
"An Analysis of Spain's Integration in the EEC,"
UFAE and IAE Working Papers
140.90, Unitat de Fonaments de l'Anàlisi Econòmica (UAB) and Institut d'Anàlisi Econòmica (CSIC).
- Francesco Caselli & Silvana Tenreyro, 2006.
"Is Poland the Next Spain?,"
in: NBER International Seminar on Macroeconomics 2004, pages 459-533
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Francesco Caselli & Silvana Tenreyro, 2005. "Is Poland the next Spain?," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 3564, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Francesco Caselli & Silvana Tenreyro, 2005. "Is Poland the Next Spain?," CEP Discussion Papers dp0668, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Caselli, Francesco & Tenreyro, Silvana, 2005. "Is Poland the Next Spain?," CEPR Discussion Papers 4877, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Francesco Caselli & Silvana Tenreyro, 2005. "Is Poland the Next Spain?," NBER Working Papers 11045, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bradley, John & Modesto, Leonor & Sosvilla-Rivero, Simon, 1995. "HERMIN : A macroeconometric modelling framework for the EU periphery," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 12(3), pages 221-247, July.
- Sapir, Andre & Aghion, Philippe & Bertola, Giuseppe & Hellwig, Martin & Pisani-Ferry, Jean & Rosati, Dariusz & Vinals, Jose & Wallace, Helen, 2004.
"An Agenda for a Growing Europe: The Sapir Report,"
Oxford University Press, number 9780199271498, July.
- André Sapir & Philippe Aghion & Giuseppe Bertola & Martin Hellwig & Jean Pisani-Ferry & Bernard Lange & José Viñals & Helen Wallace & Marco Buti & Mario Nava & Peter Smith, 2004. "An agenda for a growing Europe: the Sapir report," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/8070, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Bradley, John & Fitzgerald, John, 1988. "Industrial output and factor input determination in an econometric model of a small open economy," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 32(6), pages 1227-1241, July.
- Sosvilla-Rivero, Simón & Herce, José A., 2008. "European cohesion policy and the Spanish economy: A policy discussion case," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 30(3), pages 559-570.
- Herce, Jose-Antonio & Sosvilla-Rivero, Simon, 1995. "HERMIN Spain," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 12(3), pages 295-311, July.
- Christodoulakis, Nicos M. & Kalyvitis, Sarantis, 2000. "The Effects of the Second Community Support Framework 1994-99 on the Greek Economy," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 22(5), pages 611-624, September.
- Gramlich, Edward M, 1994. "Infrastructure Investment: A Review Essay," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 32(3), pages 1176-96, September.
- de la Fuente, Angel, 1997. "Fiscal Policy and Growth in the OECD," CEPR Discussion Papers 1755, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- de la Fuente, A., 1997. "Fiscal policy and Growth in The OECD. Volume II: Appendix," UFAE and IAE Working Papers 401.97, Unitat de Fonaments de l'Anàlisi Econòmica (UAB) and Institut d'Anàlisi Econòmica (CSIC).
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jpolmo:v:30:y:2008:i:3:p:559-570. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.