Allocating a fixed cost based on data envelopment analysis and satisfaction degree
This paper uses the Data Envelopment Analysis (DEA) technique to solve the problem of allocating a fixed cost across a set of comparable decision making units (DMUs) in a fair way. It first investigates the effect of the fixed cost on each DMU and on the collection of DMUs. Next we prove that there exist some cost allocations which can make each DMU and the collection of DMUs efficient. We show that such a cost allocation is unique and equivalent to the proportional sharing method if the fixed cost allocation problem is a one-dimensional case. In a multidimensional case, the fixed cost allocations may not be unique. This paper defines the concept of satisfaction degree, and proposes a maxmin model and a corresponding algorithm to generate a unique fixed cost allocation. Finally, the proposed approach has been applied to a data set from prior literature.
Volume (Year): 41 (2013)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/375/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/supportfaq.cws_home/regional|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Du, Juan & Liang, Liang & Chen, Yao & Bi, Gong-bing, 2010. "DEA-based production planning," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 38(1-2), pages 105-112, February.
- Charnes, A. & Cooper, W. W. & Rhodes, E., 1978. "Measuring the efficiency of decision making units," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 2(6), pages 429-444, November.
- Beasley, J. E., 2003. "Allocating fixed costs and resources via data envelopment analysis," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 147(1), pages 198-216, May.
- Moulin, Herve & Shenker, Scott, 1992. "Serial Cost Sharing," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 60(5), pages 1009-37, September.
- Charnes, A. & Cooper, W. W. & Huang, Z. M. & Sun, D. B., 1990. "Polyhedral Cone-Ratio DEA Models with an illustrative application to large commercial banks," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 46(1-2), pages 73-91.
- Wu, Jie & Liang, Liang & Chen, Yao, 2009. "DEA game cross-efficiency approach to Olympic rankings," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 37(4), pages 909-918, August.
- Li, Yongjun & Yang, Feng & Liang, Liang & Hua, Zhongsheng, 2009. "Allocating the fixed cost as a complement of other cost inputs: A DEA approach," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 197(1), pages 389-401, August.
- Avkiran, Necmi K., 2011. "Association of DEA super-efficiency estimates with financial ratios: Investigating the case for Chinese banks," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 39(3), pages 323-334, June.
- Cook, Wade D. & Kress, Moshe, 1999. "Characterizing an equitable allocation of shared costs: A DEA approach," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 119(3), pages 652-661, December.
- Moulin, Herve, 1994. "Serial Cost-Sharing of Excludable Public Goods," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 61(2), pages 305-25, April.
- Cook, Wade D. & Liang, Liang & Zhu, Joe, 2010. "Measuring performance of two-stage network structures by DEA: A review and future perspective," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 38(6), pages 423-430, December.
- Wang, Yun-Tong & Zhu, Daxin, 2002. "Ordinal proportional cost sharing," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 37(3), pages 215-230, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jomega:v:41:y:2013:i:1:p:55-60. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.