DEA-based production planning
Production in large organizations with a centralized decision-making environment like supermarket chains or factories with many workshops, usually involves the participation of more than one individual unit, each contributing a part of the total production. This study is motivated by a production-planning problem regularly faced by the central decision-making unit to arrange new input and output plans for all individual units in the next production season when demand changes can be forecasted. Two planning ideas have been proposed in this paper. One is optimizing the average or overall production performance of the entire organization, measured by the CCR efficiency of the average input and output levels of all units. The other is simultaneously maximizing total outputs produced and minimizing total inputs consumed by all units. According to these two ideas, we develop two DEA-based production planning approaches to find the most preferred production plans. All these individual units, considered as decision-making units (DMUs), are supposed to be able to modify their input usages and output productions. A simple numerical example and a real world data set are used to illustrate these approaches.
Volume (Year): 38 (2010)
Issue (Month): 1-2 (February)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/375/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/supportfaq.cws_home/regional|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Chazal, Marie & Jouini, Elyès & Tahraoui, Rabah, 2008.
"Production planning and inventories optimization: A backward approach in the convex storage cost case,"
Journal of Mathematical Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 44(9-10), pages 997-1023, September.
- Marie Chazal & Elyès Jouini & Rabah Tahraoui, 2003. "Production Planning and Inventories Optimization : A Backward Approach in the Convex Storage Cost Case," Working Papers 2003-45, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
- Marie Chazal & Elyès Jouini & Rabah Tahraoui, 2003. "Production Planning and Inventories Optimization : A Backward Approach in the Convex Storage Cost Case," GE, Growth, Math methods 0312002, EconWPA.
- Elyès Jouini & Marie Chazal & Rabah Tahraoui, 2007. "Production Planning and Inventories Optimization: A Backward Approach in the Convex Storage Cost Case," Working Papers halshs-00167156, HAL.
- Jouini, Elyès & Chazal, Marie & Tahraoui, Rabah, 2008. "Production Planning and Inventories Optimization: A Backward Approach in the Convex Storage Cost Case," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/185, Paris Dauphine University.
- Pekka Korhonen & Mikko Syrjänen, 2004. "Resource Allocation Based on Efficiency Analysis," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 50(8), pages 1134-1144, August.
- Botti, Laurent & Briec, Walter & Cliquet, Gérard, 2009. "Plural forms versus franchise and company-owned systems: A DEA approach of hotel chain performance," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 37(3), pages 566-578, June.
- Charnes, A. & Cooper, W. W. & Rhodes, E., 1978. "Measuring the efficiency of decision making units," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 2(6), pages 429-444, November.
- Yu, Ming-Miin & Lin, Erwin T.J., 2008. "Efficiency and effectiveness in railway performance using a multi-activity network DEA model," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 36(6), pages 1005-1017, December.
- Beasley, J. E., 2003. "Allocating fixed costs and resources via data envelopment analysis," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 147(1), pages 198-216, May.
- Meng, Wei & Zhang, Daqun & Qi, Li & Liu, Wenbin, 2008. "Two-level DEA approaches in research evaluation," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 36(6), pages 950-957, December.
- Li, Yongjun & Liang, Liang & Chen, Yao & Morita, Hiroshi, 2008. "Models for measuring and benchmarking olympics achievements," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 36(6), pages 933-940, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jomega:v:38:y:2010:i:1-2:p:105-112. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.