An integrated cost-performance model of research and development evaluation
This paper proposes an integrated model of R & D evaluation which links the cost of research with its various outputs, from proximal or immediate to the intermediate outputs in the client organizations of the R & D performer. This model differs from previous models in that it consolidates both cost and performance assessment. Indexes of cost-performance are constructed, for each category of output, and as a measure of productivity per scientist and engineer engaged in research. The indexes proposed in this model reflect the relative cost-effectiveness of the R & D activity throughout a substantial portion of the innovation process. As a comprehensive and integrated model, it transcends the limitations of immediate outputs utilized by other models. The model allows for comparisons, at the program, corporate and national levels, of the cost-performance of research. Some methodological and implementation problems are discussed.
Volume (Year): 23 (1995)
Issue (Month): 3 (June)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/375/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/supportfaq.cws_home/regional|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Cordero, Rene, 1990. "The measurement of innovation performance in the firm: An overview," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 19(2), pages 185-192, April.
- Jensen, Elizabeth J, 1987. "Research Expenditures and the Discovery of New Drugs," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 36(1), pages 83-95, September.
- Nederhof, A. J. & van Raan, A. F. J., 1993. "A bibliometric analysis of six economics research groups: A comparison with peer review," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 22(4), pages 353-368, August.
- Mansfield, Edwin, 1991. "Academic research and industrial innovation," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 20(1), pages 1-12, February.
- Palda, Kristian S., 1986. "Technological intensity: Concept and measurement," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 15(4), pages 187-198, August.
- Mansfield, Edwin, 1992. "Academic research and industrial innovation: A further note," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 21(3), pages 295-296, June.
- Todd R. Zenger, 1994. "Explaining Organizational Diseconomies of Scale in R&D: Agency Problems and the Allocation of Engineering Talent, Ideas, and Effort by Firm Size," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 40(6), pages 708-729, June.
- Baltagi, Badi H & Griffin, James M, 1988. "A General Index of Technical Change," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 96(1), pages 20-41, February.
- Richard R. Nelson, 1959. "The Simple Economics of Basic Scientific Research," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 67, pages 297.
- Irvine, John & Martin, Ben R. & Abraham, John & Peacock, Tim, 1987. "Assessing basic research: Reappraisal and update of an evaluation of four radio astronomy observatories," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 16(2-4), pages 213-227, August.
- Mansfield, Edwin & Romeo, Anthony & Switzer, Lorne, 1983. "R&D price indexes and real R&D expenditures in the United States," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 12(2), pages 105-112, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jomega:v:23:y:1995:i:3:p:281-294. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.