An integrated cost-performance model of research and development evaluation
This paper proposes an integrated model of R & D evaluation which links the cost of research with its various outputs, from proximal or immediate to the intermediate outputs in the client organizations of the R & D performer. This model differs from previous models in that it consolidates both cost and performance assessment. Indexes of cost-performance are constructed, for each category of output, and as a measure of productivity per scientist and engineer engaged in research. The indexes proposed in this model reflect the relative cost-effectiveness of the R & D activity throughout a substantial portion of the innovation process. As a comprehensive and integrated model, it transcends the limitations of immediate outputs utilized by other models. The model allows for comparisons, at the program, corporate and national levels, of the cost-performance of research. Some methodological and implementation problems are discussed.
Volume (Year): 23 (1995)
Issue (Month): 3 (June)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/375/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/supportfaq.cws_home/regional|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Palda, Kristian S., 1986. "Technological intensity: Concept and measurement," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 15(4), pages 187-198, August.
- Jensen, Elizabeth J, 1987. "Research Expenditures and the Discovery of New Drugs," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 36(1), pages 83-95, September.
- Mansfield, Edwin, 1991. "Academic research and industrial innovation," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 20(1), pages 1-12, February.
- Nederhof, A. J. & van Raan, A. F. J., 1993. "A bibliometric analysis of six economics research groups: A comparison with peer review," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 22(4), pages 353-368, August.
- Irvine, John & Martin, Ben R. & Abraham, John & Peacock, Tim, 1987. "Assessing basic research: Reappraisal and update of an evaluation of four radio astronomy observatories," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 16(2-4), pages 213-227, August.
- Mansfield, Edwin, 1992. "Academic research and industrial innovation: A further note," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 21(3), pages 295-296, June.
- Todd R. Zenger, 1994. "Explaining Organizational Diseconomies of Scale in R&D: Agency Problems and the Allocation of Engineering Talent, Ideas, and Effort by Firm Size," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 40(6), pages 708-729, June.
- Mansfield, Edwin & Romeo, Anthony & Switzer, Lorne, 1983. "R&D price indexes and real R&D expenditures in the United States," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 12(2), pages 105-112, April.
- Baltagi, Badi H & Griffin, James M, 1988. "A General Index of Technical Change," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 96(1), pages 20-41, February.
- Cordero, Rene, 1990. "The measurement of innovation performance in the firm: An overview," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 19(2), pages 185-192, April.
- Richard R. Nelson, 1959. "The Simple Economics of Basic Scientific Research," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 67, pages 297-297.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jomega:v:23:y:1995:i:3:p:281-294. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.