Measuring the change in R&D efficiency of the Japanese pharmaceutical industry
This paper presents a data envelopment analysis (DEA)/Malmquist index methodology for measuring the change in R&D efficiency at both firm and industry levels. Letting each of ten firms in each year be a separate decision-making unit, and employing one input and three outputs in a DEA case of R&D activity input-output lag, we measure "total factor R&D efficiency" change of Japanese pharmaceutical firms for decade 1983-1992 as defined by the period of R&D input. Decomposing Malmquist index into catch-up and frontier shift components and using "cumulative indices" proposed in this study, we evaluate R&D efficiency change for each firm and empirically show that R&D efficiency of Japanese pharmaceutical industry has almost monotonically gotten worse throughout the study decade.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Akihiro Hashimoto & Migaku Kodama, 1997. "Has Livability of Japan Gotten Better for 1956–1990?: a Dea Approach," Social Indicators Research: An International and Interdisciplinary Journal for Quality-of-Life Measurement, Springer, vol. 40(3), pages 359-373, May.
- Hashimoto, Akihiro & Ishikawa, Hitoshi, 1993. "Using DEA to evaluate the state of society as measured by multiple social indicators," Socio-Economic Planning Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 27(4), pages 257-268, December.
- Cooper, W. W. & Kumbhakar, Subal & Thrall, Robert M. & Yu, Xuelin, 1995. "DEA and stochastic frontier analyses of the 1978 Chinese economic reforms," Socio-Economic Planning Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 29(2), pages 85-112, June.
- Per Andersen & Niels Christian Petersen, 1993. "A Procedure for Ranking Efficient Units in Data Envelopment Analysis," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 39(10), pages 1261-1264, October.
- Charnes, A. & Cooper, W. W. & Rhodes, E., 1978. "Measuring the efficiency of decision making units," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 2(6), pages 429-444, November.
- Shoko Haneda & Hiroyuki Odagiri, 1998. "Appropriation Of Returns From Technological Assets And The Values Of Patents And R&D In Japanese High-Tech Firms," Economics of Innovation and New Technology, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 7(4), pages 303-321.
- Geisler, E., 1995. "An integrated cost-performance model of research and development evaluation," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 23(3), pages 281-294, June.
- Odagiri, Hiroyuki & Murakami, Naoki, 1992. "Private and quasi-social rates of return on pharmaceutical R&D in Japan," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 21(4), pages 335-345, August.
- Nasierowski, W. & Arcelus, F. J., 2003. "On the efficiency of national innovation systems," Socio-Economic Planning Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 37(3), pages 215-234, September.