The market for corporate subsidiaries in Japan: An empirical study of trades among listed firms
Download full text from publisher
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version below or search for a different version of it.
Other versions of this item:
- USHIJIMA Tatsuo & Ulrike SCHAEDE, 2013. "The Market for Corporate Subsidiaries in Japan: An empirical study of trades among listed firms," Discussion papers 13012, Research Institute of Economy, Trade and Industry (RIETI).
References listed on IDEAS
- Kruse, Timothy A. & Park, Hun Y. & Park, Kwangwoo & Suzuki, Kazunori, 2007. "Long-term performance following mergers of Japanese companies: The effect of diversification and affiliation," Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 15(2), pages 154-172, April.
- Mehrotra, Vikas & van Schaik, Dimitri & Spronk, Jaap & Steenbeek, Onno, 2011.
"Creditor-Focused Corporate Governance: Evidence from Mergers and Acquisitions in Japan,"
Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis,
Cambridge University Press, vol. 46(04), pages 1051-1072, September.
- Mehrotra, Vikas & Schaik, Dimitri van & Spronk, Jaap & Steenbeek, Onno, 2009. "Creditor-Focused Corporate Governance: Evidence from Mergers and Acquisitions in Japan," CEI Working Paper Series 2009-01, Center for Economic Institutions, Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University.
- Onji, Kazuki & Vera, David & Corbett, Jenny, 2012.
"Capital injection, restructuring targets and personnel management: The case of Japanese regional banks,"
Journal of the Japanese and International Economies,
Elsevier, vol. 26(4), pages 495-517.
- Kazuki Onji, David Vera and Jenny Corbett, 2011. "Capital Injection, Restructuring Targets and Personnel Management: The Case of Japanese Regional Banks," Asia Pacific Economic Papers 390, Australia-Japan Research Centre, Crawford School of Public Policy, The Australian National University.
- Denis, Diane K. & Shome, Dilip K., 2005. "An empirical investigation of corporate asset downsizing," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 11(3), pages 427-448, June.
- Jun-Koo Kang & Anil Shivdasani & Takeshi Yamada, 2000. "The Effect of Bank Relations on Investment Decisions: An Investigation of Japanese Takeover Bids," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 55(5), pages 2197-2218, October.
- Vojislav Maksimovic, 2001.
"The Market for Corporate Assets: Who Engages in Mergers and Asset Sales and Are There Efficiency Gains?,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 56(6), pages 2019-2065, December.
- Gordon M Phillips & Vojislav Maksimovic, 1999. "The Market for Corporate Assets: Who Engages in Mergers and Asset Sales and are there Efficiency Gains?," Working Papers 99-12, Center for Economic Studies, U.S. Census Bureau.
- G. Alexandridis & D. Petmezas & N.G. Travlos, 2010. "Gains from Mergers and Acquisitions Around the World: New Evidence," Financial Management, Financial Management Association International, vol. 39(4), pages 1671-1695, December.
- Ushijima, Tatsuo, 2010. "Understanding partial mergers in Japan," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 34(12), pages 2941-2953, December.
- Ray Sugata & Warusawitharana Missaka, 2009.
"An Efficiency Perspective on the Gains from Mergers and Asset Purchases,"
The B.E. Journal of Economic Analysis & Policy,
De Gruyter, vol. 9(1), pages 1-27, October.
- Sugata Ray & Missaka Warusawitharana, 2007. "An efficiency perspective on the gains from mergers and asset purchases," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 2007-39, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Lang, Larry & Poulsen, Annette & Stulz, Rene, 1995.
"Asset sales, firm performance, and the agency costs of managerial discretion,"
Journal of Financial Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 37(1), pages 3-37, January.
- Larry Lang & Annette Poulsen & Rene M. Stulz, 1994. "Asset Sales, Firm Performance, and the Agency Costs of Managerial Discretion," NBER Working Papers 4654, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Berger, Philip G & Ofek, Eli, 1999. "Causes and Effects of Corporate Refocusing Programs," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 12(2), pages 311-345.
- Officer, Micah S., 2007. "The price of corporate liquidity: Acquisition discounts for unlisted targets," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 83(3), pages 571-598, March.
- Faccio, Mara & McConnell, John J. & Stolin, David, 2006. "Returns to Acquirers of Listed and Unlisted Targets," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 41(01), pages 197-220, March.
- Megginson, William L. & Morgan, Angela & Nail, Lance, 2004. "The determinants of positive long-term performance in strategic mergers: Corporate focus and cash," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 28(3), pages 523-552, March.
- Hoshi, Takeo & Kashyap, Anil & Scharfstein, David, 1990.
"The role of banks in reducing the costs of financial distress in Japan,"
Journal of Financial Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 27(1), pages 67-88, September.
- Takeo Hoshi & Anil Kashyap & David Scharfstein, 1990. "The Role of Banks in Reducing the Costs of Financial Distress in Japan," NBER Working Papers 3435, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- M. Mark Walker, 2000. "Corporate Takeovers, Strategic Objectives and Acquring Firm Shareholder Wealth," Financial Management, Financial Management Association, vol. 29(1), Spring.
- Warusawitharana, Missaka, 2008. "Corporate asset purchases and sales: Theory and evidence," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 87(2), pages 471-497, February.
- Antoinette Schoar, 2002. "Effects of Corporate Diversification on Productivity," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 57(6), pages 2379-2403, December.
- Mulherin, J. Harold & Boone, Audra L., 2000. "Comparing acquisitions and divestitures," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 6(2), pages 117-139, July.
- Eckbo, B. Espen & Thorburn, Karin S., 2013. "Corporate Restructuring," Foundations and Trends(R) in Finance, now publishers, vol. 7(3), pages 159-288, July.
- Hite, Gailen L. & Owers, James E. & Rogers, Ronald C., 1987. "The market for interfirm asset sales : Partial sell-offs and total liquidations," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 229-252, June.
- Schlingemann, Frederik P. & Stulz, Rene M. & Walkling, Ralph A., 2002. "Divestitures and the liquidity of the market for corporate assets," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 64(1), pages 117-144, April.
- Thomas W. Bates, 2005. "Asset Sales, Investment Opportunities, and the Use of Proceeds," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 60(1), pages 105-135, February.
- Odagiri, Hiroyuki & Hase, Tatsuo, 1989. "Are mergers and acquisitions going to be popular in Japan too? : An empirical study," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 7(1), pages 49-72, March.
- Kathleen Fuller & Jeffry Netter & Mike Stegemoller, 2002. "What Do Returns to Acquiring Firms Tell Us? Evidence from Firms That Make Many Acquisitions," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 57(4), pages 1763-1793, August.
- Moeller, Sara B. & Schlingemann, Frederik P. & Stulz, Rene M., 2004. "Firm size and the gains from acquisitions," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 73(2), pages 201-228, August.
- Hanson, Robert C. & Song, Moon H., 2000. "Managerial ownership, board structure, and the division of gains in divestitures," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 6(1), pages 55-70, March.
- Ofek, Eli, 1993. "Capital structure and firm response to poor performance: An empirical analysis," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 34(1), pages 3-30, August.
- Fukui, Yoshitaka & Ushijima, Tatsuo, 2007. "Corporate diversification, performance, and restructuring in the largest Japanese manufacturers," Journal of the Japanese and International Economies, Elsevier, vol. 21(3), pages 303-323, September.
- John, Kose & Ofek, Eli, 1995. "Asset sales and increase in focus," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 37(1), pages 105-126, January.
- Yeh, Tsung-ming & Hoshino, Yasuo, 2002. "Productivity and operating performance of Japanese merging firms: Keiretsu-related and independent mergers," Japan and the World Economy, Elsevier, vol. 14(3), pages 347-366, August.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
More about this item
KeywordsSubsidiary; Acquisition; Divestiture; Strategic repositioning; Japan;
- G34 - Financial Economics - - Corporate Finance and Governance - - - Mergers; Acquisitions; Restructuring; Corporate Governance
- L23 - Industrial Organization - - Firm Objectives, Organization, and Behavior - - - Organization of Production
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jjieco:v:31:y:2014:i:c:p:36-52. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu). General contact details of provider: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/inca/622903 .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.