Investor yield and gross underwriting spread comparisons among U.S. dollar domestic, Yankee, Eurodollar, and global bonds
The characteristics and features of domestic, foreign, Eurobonds, and global bonds differ from one another, as do their regulation. We develop regression models to compare investor yield differences that should logically exist at issuance for these bond market segments for U.S. dollar denominated bonds. Our empirical results show that, ceteris paribus, both privately placed and Rule 144A Eurodollar issues yield more than publicly placed bonds; Yankee bonds yield insignificantly more than domestic bonds; and, the bearer feature common to Eurodollar bonds is not prized enough by institutional investors for them to accept a lower yield relative to domestic or Yankee bonds. We do not find a statistically significant difference between the investor yield spread on U.S. dollar global bonds and U.S. domestic bonds, or Yankee bonds, or Eurodollar bonds. We also study underwriting costs of publicly traded bonds and find, ceteris paribus, that Eurodollar bonds are far more costly for the firm to issue than domestic bonds, Yankee bonds, or global bonds; domestic and Yankee bonds are more expensive than global bonds; and, there is no significant cost difference between domestic and Yankee bonds.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Blackwell, David W. & Kidwell, David S., 1988. "An investigation of cost differences between public sales and private placements of debt," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(2), pages 253-278, December.
- Kose John & S. Abraham Ravid & Natalia Reisel, 2010. "The Notching Rule for Subordinated Debt and the Information Content of Debt Rating," Financial Management, Financial Management Association International, vol. 39(2), pages 489-513, 06.
- Miller, Darius P. & Puthenpurackal, John J., 2002. "The Costs, Wealth Effects, and Determinants of International Capital Raising: Evidence from Public Yankee Bonds," Journal of Financial Intermediation, Elsevier, vol. 11(4), pages 455-485, October.
- Fenn, George W., 2000. "Speed of issuance and the adequacy of disclosure in the 144A high-yield debt market," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 56(3), pages 383-405, June.
- Crabbe, Leland E & Turner, Christopher M, 1995. " Does the Liquidity of a Debt Issue Increase with Its Size? Evidence from the Corporate Bond and Medium-Term Note Markets," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 50(5), pages 1719-34, December.
- Susan Chaplinsky & Latha Ramchand, 2004. "The Impact of SEC Rule 144A on Corporate Debt Issuance by International Firms," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 77(4), pages 1073-1098, October.
- Anouk Claes & Marc J.K. De Ceuster & Ruud Polfliet, 2002. "Anatomy of the Eurobond Market 1980-2000," European Financial Management, European Financial Management Association, vol. 8(3), pages 373-385.
- Stavros Peristiani & Joao A. C. Santos, 2010. "Has the US Bond Market Lost its Edge to the Eurobond Market?," International Review of Finance, International Review of Finance Ltd., vol. 10(Financial), pages 149-183.
- Rafael LaPorta & Florencio Lopez-de-Silanes & Andrei Shleifer & Robert Vishny, .
"Investor Protection and Corporate Governance,"
19455, Harvard University OpenScholar.
- Qi, Yaxuan & Roth, Lukas & Wald, John K., 2010. "Political rights and the cost of debt," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 95(2), pages 202-226, February.
- Kim, Yong Cheol & Stulz, ReneM., 1988. "The Eurobond market and corporate financial policy : A test of the clientele hypothesis," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(2), pages 189-205, December.
- Miles Livingston & Lei Zhou, 2002. "The Impact of Rule 144A Debt Offerings Upon Bond Yields and Underwriter Fees," Financial Management, Financial Management Association, vol. 31(4), Winter.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jimfin:v:31:y:2012:i:2:p:445-463. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.