Eurobond Underwriter Spreads
We examine the determinants of underwriter spreads on straight/fixed rate Eurobonds issued by U.S. firms between 1990 and 1998. We find that underwriter spreads are influenced by: (i) the governing law as it influences the timely and orderly renegotiation of contract terms, with bonds governed by English law having significantly lower spreads; (ii) the distribution mechanism, with spreads higher on public issues than private placements; (iii) underwriter reputation, with more reputable underwriters charging higher fees; and (iv) the choice of currency, with spreads higher in the less frequently utilized currencies and/or in currencies where underwriting activities are more concentrated.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Heckman, James J, 1979.
"Sample Selection Bias as a Specification Error,"
Econometric Society, vol. 47(1), pages 153-61, January.
- Anouk Claes & Marc J.K. De Ceuster & Ruud Polfliet, 2002. "Anatomy of the Eurobond Market 1980-2000," European Financial Management, European Financial Management Association, vol. 8(3), pages 373-385.
- Jeff Jewell & Miles Livingston, 1998. "Split Ratings, Bond Yields, And Underwriter Spreads," Journal of Financial Research, Southern Finance Association;Southwestern Finance Association, vol. 21(2), pages 185-204, 06.
- Roden, Peyton Foster & Bassler, John, 1996. "Effect of Underwriter Prestige on the Interest Cost of Municipal Bond Offerings," The Financial Review, Eastern Finance Association, vol. 31(3), pages 641-66, August.
- Beatty, Randolph P & Welch, Ivo, 1996. "Issuer Expenses and Legal Liability in Initial Public Offerings," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 39(2), pages 545-602, October.
- Altinkilic, Oya & Hansen, Robert S, 2000. "Are There Economies of Scale in Underwriting Fees? Evidence of Rising External Financing Costs," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 13(1), pages 191-218.
- Roten, Ivan C. & Mullineaux, Donald J., 2002. "Debt underwriting by commercial bank-affiliated firms and investment banks: More evidence," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 26(4), pages 689-718, April.
- Megginson, William L & Weiss, Kathleen A, 1991. " Venture Capitalist Certification in Initial Public Offerings," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 46(3), pages 879-903, July.
- Hsuan-Chi Chen & Jay R. Ritter, 2000. "The Seven Percent Solution," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 55(3), pages 1105-1131, 06.
- Carter, Richard B & Manaster, Steven, 1990. " Initial Public Offerings and Underwriter Reputation," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 45(4), pages 1045-67, September.
- Miles Livingston & Robert E. Miller, 2000. "Investment Bank Reputation and the Underwriting of Nonconvertible Debt," Financial Management, Financial Management Association, vol. 29(2), Summer.
- Miles Livingston & Lei Zhou, 2002. "The Impact of Rule 144A Debt Offerings Upon Bond Yields and Underwriter Fees," Financial Management, Financial Management Association, vol. 31(4), Winter.
- Schnabel, Jacques A. & Roumi, Ebrahim, 1994. "Risk incentive problems and foreign currency bonds," Journal of Economics and Business, Elsevier, vol. 46(3), pages 167-177, August.
- Gande, Amar & Puri, Manju & Saunders, Anthony, 1999. "Bank entry, competition, and the market for corporate securities underwriting," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 54(2), pages 165-195, October.
- Chemmanur, Thomas J & Fulghieri, Paolo, 1994. " Investment Bank Reputation, Information Production, and Financial Intermediation," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 49(1), pages 57-79, March.
- Jain, Bharat A. & Kini, Omesh, 1999. "On investment banker monitoring in the new issues market," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 23(1), pages 49-84, January.
- Puri, Manju, 1999. "Commercial banks as underwriters: implications for the going public process," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 54(2), pages 133-163, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fmg:fmgdps:dp503. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (The FMG Administration)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.