New evidence on the monetary approach of exchange rate determination in Mexico 1994-2007: A cointegrated SVAR model
We provide empirical evidence supporting the validity of both short and long run versions of the Monetary Approach of Exchange Rate determination for the Mexican peso-U.S. dollar exchange rate from 1994 to 2007 using a cointegrated SVAR model. We estimate not only the long-run relationship, between the variables of the monetary model for the exchange rate, but also the very short run effects which have been often ignored in previous empirical work. We show that there are robust short and long-run relationships between the Mexican monetary aggregates and the exchange rate, which ultimately responds to what Bilson's variant of MAER predicts.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Christopher A. Sims, 1986. "Are forecasting models usable for policy analysis?," Quarterly Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis, issue Win, pages 2-16.
- Groen, Jan J J & Kleibergen, Frank, 2003.
"Likelihood-Based Cointegration Analysis in Panels of Vector Error-Correction Models,"
Journal of Business & Economic Statistics,
American Statistical Association, vol. 21(2), pages 295-318, April.
- Jan J.J. Groen & Frank R. Kleibergen, 1999. "Likelihood-Based Cointegration Analysis in Panels of Vector Error Correction Models," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 99-055/4, Tinbergen Institute.
- J.J.J. Groen & F. Kleibergen, 2001. "Likelihood-Based Cointegration Analysis in Panels of Vector Error Correction Models," WO Research Memoranda (discontinued) 646, Netherlands Central Bank, Research Department.
- Mark P. Taylor, 1995. "The Economics of Exchange Rates," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 33(1), pages 13-47, March.
- J.J.J. Groen, 2001. "(EURO) Exchange Rate Predictability and Monetary Fundamentals in a Small Multi-Country Panel," WO Research Memoranda (discontinued) 664, Netherlands Central Bank, Research Department.
- Jesus Crespo-Cuaresma & Jarko Fidrmuc & Ronald MacDonald, 2005. "The monetary approach to exchange rates in the CEECs," The Economics of Transition, The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, vol. 13(2), pages 395-416, 04.
- Crespo Cuaresma, Jesús & Fidrmuc, Jarko & MacDonald, Ronald, 2003. "The monetary approach to exchange rates in the CEECs," BOFIT Discussion Papers 14/2003, Bank of Finland, Institute for Economies in Transition.
- Jesús Crespo-Cuaresma & Jarko Fidrmuc & Ronald McDonald, 2004. "The monetary approach to exchange rates in the CEECs," Macroeconomics 0401013, EconWPA.
- Husted, Steven & MacDonald, Ronald, 1999. "The Asian currency crash: were badly driven fundamentals to blame?," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 10(4), pages 537-550.
- Sims, Christopher A, 1980. "Macroeconomics and Reality," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(1), pages 1-48, January.
- Lee Chin & M. Azali & K. G. Matthews, 2007. "The monetary approach to exchange rate determination for Malaysia," Applied Financial Economics Letters, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 3(2), pages 91-94.
- Gardeazabal, Javier & Regulez, Marta & Vazquez, Jesus, 1997. "Testing the Canonical Model of Exchange Rates with Unobservable Fundamentals," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 38(2), pages 389-404, May.
- Johansen, Soren, 1995. "Likelihood-Based Inference in Cointegrated Vector Autoregressive Models," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198774501, April. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jimfin:v:29:y:2010:i:3:p:540-554. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.