Analysis of agricultural research investment priorities for sustainable poverty reduction in Southeast Asia
Underinvestment in agricultural research remains rife across Southeast Asia, despite the remaining importance of the subregion’s agricultural sector and ample evidence of agricultural technology impact to date. To help identify specific areas where additional investment is most needed, this study compares the impact potential for the poor of alternative agricultural research foci, taking changes in production patterns, consumption patterns and environmental sustainability into account. New spatial data on the distribution of poverty and the expenditure patterns of households below international poverty lines are used to offer more detailed assessment of the poverty relevance of alternative foci than possible previously. Patterns of impact potential are evaluated against evidence of impact to date to discern probabilities of success in achieving potential impacts. Impact patterns discerned are contrasted with current relative funding allocations across research areas in the subregion by National Agricultural Research Systems (NARSs) and International Agricultural Research Centers (IARCs) to identify key funding gaps.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jori Elisiana & Lilyan E. Fulginiti & Richard K. Perrin, 1993.
"Aggregate Agricultural Inputs and Outputs in Developing Countries: A Data Set,"
Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) Publications
93-tr28, Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) at Iowa State University.
- Jori Elisiana & Lilyan E. Fulginiti & Richard K. Perrin, 1993. "Aggregate Agricultural Inputs and Outputs in Developing Countries: A Data Set," Food and Agricultural Policy Research Institute (FAPRI) Publications 93-tr28, Food and Agricultural Policy Research Institute (FAPRI) at Iowa State University.
- Jori Elisiana & Lilyan E. Fulginiti & Richard K. Perrin, 1993. "Aggregate Agricultural Inputs and Outputs in Developing Countries: A Data Set," Midwest Agribusiness Trade Research and Information Center (MATRIC) Publications 93-tr28, Midwest Agribusiness Trade Research and Information Center (MATRIC) at Iowa State University.
- Alexandre Kossoy & Philippe Ambrosi, . "State and Trends of the Carbon Market 2010," World Bank Other Operational Studies 13401, The World Bank.
- Robert H. Beach & Benjamin J. DeAngelo & Steven Rose & Changsheng Li & William Salas & Stephen J. DelGrosso, 2008. "Mitigation potential and costs for global agricultural greenhouse gas emissions-super-1," Agricultural Economics, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 38(2), pages 109-115, 03.
- Rao, J. Mohan, 1989. "Agricultural supply response: A survey," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 3(1), pages 1-22, March.
- Alston, Julian M. & Wyatt, T. J. & Pardey, Philip G. & Marra, Michele C. & Chan-Kang, Connie, 2000. "A meta-analysis of rates of return to agricultural R & D: ex pede Herculem?," Research reports 113, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Rao, J. Mohan, 1989. "Agricultural Supply Response: A Survey," Agricultural Economics of Agricultural Economists, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 3(1), March.
- Raitzer, David A. & Kelley, Timothy G., 2008. "Benefit-cost meta-analysis of investment in the International Agricultural Research Centers of the CGIAR," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 96(1-3), pages 108-123, March.
- Hall, S.J. & Delaporte, A. & Phillips, M.J. & Beveridge, M. & O'Keefe, M. & The WorldFish Center, 2011. "Blue frontiers: managing the environmental costs of aquaculture," Working Papers, The WorldFish Center, number 39461, July.
- Maredia, Mywish K. & Raitzer, David A., 2012. "Review and analysis of documented patterns of agricultural research impacts in Southeast Asia," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 106(1), pages 46-58.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jfpoli:v:37:y:2012:i:4:p:412-426. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.