Pinning in the S&P 500 futures
We show that Standard & Poor's (S&P) 500 futures are pulled toward the at-the-money strike price on days when serial options on the S&P 500 futures expire (pinning) and are pushed away from the cost-of-carry adjusted at-the-money strike price right before the expiration of options on the S&P 500 index (anti-cross-pinning). These effects are driven by the interplay of market makers' rebalancing of delta hedges due to the time decay of those hedges as well as in response to reselling (and early exercise) of in-the-money options by individual investors. The associated shift in notional futures value is at least $115 million per expiration day.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Nicolae Garleanu & Lasse Heje Pedersen & Allen M. Poteshman, 2005.
"Demand-Based Option Pricing,"
NBER Working Papers
11843, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Marco Avellaneda & Michael Lipkin, 2003. "A market-induced mechanism for stock pinning," Quantitative Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 3(6), pages 417-425.
- Suhas Nayak, 2007. "An Equilibrium-Based Model Of Stock-Pinning," International Journal of Theoretical and Applied Finance (IJTAF), World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd., vol. 10(03), pages 535-555.
- Martens, M.P.E. & van Dijk, D.J.C., 2006.
"Measuring volatility with the realized range,"
Econometric Institute Research Papers
EI 2006-10, Erasmus University Rotterdam, Erasmus School of Economics (ESE), Econometric Institute.
- Xiaoyan Ni, Sophie & Pearson, Neil D. & Poteshman, Allen M., 2005. "Stock price clustering on option expiration dates," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 78(1), pages 49-87, October.
- Parkinson, Michael, 1980. "The Extreme Value Method for Estimating the Variance of the Rate of Return," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 53(1), pages 61-65, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jfinec:v:106:y:2012:i:3:p:566-585. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.