Pinning in the S&P 500 Futures
We document that S&P 500 futures finish in the proximity of the closest strike price more often on days when serial options on S&P 500 futures expire than on other days. The effect is driven by the interplay of market makers' rebalancing of delta hedges due to the time-decay of the hedges as well as in response to reselling (and early exercise) of in-the-money options by individual investors. Consistent with limits to arbitrage, we find that the effect is asymmetric and stronger above the strike price. In line with increased options activity, pinning becomes more pronounced in recent years.
|Date of creation:||23 Aug 2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.wiwi.uni-konstanz.de/fb
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.wiwi.uni-konstanz.de/fb|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Garleanu, Nicolae Bogdan & Pedersen, Lasse Heje & Poteshman, Allen M, 2005.
"Demand-Based Option Pricing,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
5420, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Parkinson, Michael, 1980. "The Extreme Value Method for Estimating the Variance of the Rate of Return," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 53(1), pages 61-65, January.
- Martens, Martin & van Dijk, Dick, 2007.
"Measuring volatility with the realized range,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 138(1), pages 181-207, May.
- Xiaoyan Ni, Sophie & Pearson, Neil D. & Poteshman, Allen M., 2005. "Stock price clustering on option expiration dates," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 78(1), pages 49-87, October.
- Marco Avellaneda & Michael Lipkin, 2003. "A market-induced mechanism for stock pinning," Quantitative Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 3(6), pages 417-425.
- Suhas Nayak, 2007. "An Equilibrium-Based Model Of Stock-Pinning," International Journal of Theoretical and Applied Finance (IJTAF), World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd., vol. 10(03), pages 535-555.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:knz:dpteco:1012. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Gundula Hadjiani)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.