Threats to security of property rights in a transition economy: An empirical perspective
Effective property rights protection plays a fundamental role in promoting economic performance. Yet measurement problems make the relationship between property rights and entrepreneurship an ambiguous issue. As an advancement on previous research in this paper we propose a new approach to the evaluation of the security of property rights based on direct measures that overcomes some limitations of previous studies. We apply this new metrics to a survey of manufacturing firms in Russia to identify the economic effects associated with the lack of property protection in a transition economy. Our analysis supports the view that there is a close relationship between institutions, property rights and economic growth. Our findings confirm that redistributive risks provide a depressing effect on investment and innovative activity of manufacturing enterprises and potentially result in a huge loss in efficiency and economic growth, which in other institutional settings could have been avoided.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Olga Lazareva & Andrei Rachinsky & Sergey Stepanov, 2007. "A Survey of Corporate Governance in Russia," Working Papers w0103, Center for Economic and Financial Research (CEFIR).
- Timothy Besley & Maitreesh Ghatak, 2009.
"Property rights and economic development,"
LSE Research Online Documents on Economics
25428, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Timothy Besley & Maitreesh Ghatak, 2009. "Property Rights and EconomicDevelopment," STICERD - Economic Organisation and Public Policy Discussion Papers Series 006, Suntory and Toyota International Centres for Economics and Related Disciplines, LSE.
- Besley, Timothy J. & Ghatak, Maitreesh, 2009. "Property Rights and Economic Development," CEPR Discussion Papers 7243, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Sonin, Konstantin, 2003.
"Why the rich may favor poor protection of property rights,"
Journal of Comparative Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 31(4), pages 715-731, December.
- Konstantin Sonin, 2002. "Why the Rich May Favor Poor Protection of Property Rights," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series 544, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Konstantin Sonin, 2003. "Why the Rich May Favor Poor Protection of Property Rights," Working Papers w0022, Center for Economic and Financial Research (CEFIR).
- Andrei Shleifer, 1996.
"Government in Transition,"
Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers
1783, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Roland, G. & Verdier, T., 2000.
"Law Enforcement and Transition,"
DELTA Working Papers
2000-25, DELTA (Ecole normale supérieure).
- Roland, Gérard & Verdier, Thierry, 2000. "Law Enforcement and Transition," CEPR Discussion Papers 2501, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Gerard Roland & Thierry Verdier, 1999. "Law Enforcement and Transition," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series 262, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Simon Johnson & John McMillan & Christopher Woodruff, 2002.
"Property Rights and Finance,"
NBER Working Papers
8852, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Aidis, Ruta & Estrin, Saul & Mickiewicz, Tomasz, 2009.
"Entrepreneurial Entry: Which Institutions Matter?,"
IZA Discussion Papers
4123, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Andrei Shleifer & Daniel Treisman, 2001. "Without a Map: Political Tactics and Economic Reform in Russia," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262692694, June.
- George R. G. Clarke, 2001. "How institutional quality and economic factors impact technological deepening in developing countries," Journal of International Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 13(8), pages 1097-1118.
- Andrei Kuznetsov & Rostislav Kapelyushnikov & Natalya Dyomina, 2008. "Performance of closely held firms in Russia: evidence from firm-level data," The European Journal of Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 14(4), pages 337-358.
- Leonid Polishchuk & Alexei Savvateev, 2004. "Spontaneous (non)emergence of property rights," The Economics of Transition, The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, vol. 12(1), pages 103-127, 03.
- Cameron, A Colin & Trivedi, Pravin K, 1986. "Econometric Models Based on Count Data: Comparisons and Applications of Some Estimators and Tests," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 1(1), pages 29-53, January.
- Andrea Asoni, 2008.
"Protection Of Property Rights And Growth As Political Equilibria,"
Journal of Economic Surveys,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 22(5), pages 953-987, December.
- Asoni, Andrea, 2008. "Protection of Property Rights and Growth as Political Equilibria," Working Paper Series 737, Research Institute of Industrial Economics.
- Ruslan Dzarasov, 2011. "Eichnerian megacorp and investment behaviour of Russian corporations," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 35(1), pages 199-217.
- Goriaev, Alexei P. & Sonin, Konstantin, 2005. "Is Political Risk Company-Specific? The Market Side of the Yukos Affair," CEPR Discussion Papers 5076, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Oguzhan Dincer, 2007. "The effects of property rights on economic performance," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 39(7), pages 825-837.
- Hartarska, Valentina M., 2001. "Investments And Property Rights In Russia: Evidence From Small Firms In Samara," 2001 Annual meeting, August 5-8, Chicago, IL 20739, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Mauro, Paolo, 1995. "Corruption and Growth," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 110(3), pages 681-712, August.
- Stephen Knack & Philip Keefer, 1995. "Institutions And Economic Performance: Cross-Country Tests Using Alternative Institutional Measures," Economics and Politics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 7(3), pages 207-227, November.
- Kaufmann, Daniel & Kraay, Aart & Mastruzzi, Massimo, 2010. "The worldwide governance indicators : methodology and analytical issues," Policy Research Working Paper Series 5430, The World Bank.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jcecon:v:41:y:2013:i:1:p:245-264. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.