Threats to security of property rights in a transition economy: An empirical perspective
Effective property rights protection plays a fundamental role in promoting economic performance. Yet measurement problems make the relationship between property rights and entrepreneurship an ambiguous issue. As an advancement on previous research in this paper we propose a new approach to the evaluation of the security of property rights based on direct measures that overcomes some limitations of previous studies. We apply this new metrics to a survey of manufacturing firms in Russia to identify the economic effects associated with the lack of property protection in a transition economy. Our analysis supports the view that there is a close relationship between institutions, property rights and economic growth. Our findings confirm that redistributive risks provide a depressing effect on investment and innovative activity of manufacturing enterprises and potentially result in a huge loss in efficiency and economic growth, which in other institutional settings could have been avoided.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Andrei Kuznetsov & Rostislav Kapelyushnikov & Natalya Dyomina, 2008. "Performance of closely held firms in Russia: evidence from firm-level data," The European Journal of Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 14(4), pages 337-358.
- Timothy Besley & Maitreesh Ghatak, 2009.
"Property Rights and EconomicDevelopment,"
STICERD - Economic Organisation and Public Policy Discussion Papers Series
006, Suntory and Toyota International Centres for Economics and Related Disciplines, LSE.
- Besley, Timothy J. & Ghatak, Maitreesh, 2009. "Property Rights and Economic Development," CEPR Discussion Papers 7243, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Timothy Besley & Maitreesh Ghatak, 2009. "Property rights and economic development," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 25428, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Ruslan Dzarasov, 2011. "Eichnerian megacorp and investment behaviour of Russian corporations," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 35(1), pages 199-217.
- Roland, Gérard & Verdier, Thierry, 2000.
"Law Enforcement and Transition,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
2501, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Roland, G. & Verdier, T., 2000. "Law Enforcement and Transition," DELTA Working Papers 2000-25, DELTA (Ecole normale supérieure).
- Gerard Roland & Thierry Verdier, 1999. "Law Enforcement and Transition," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series 262, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Mauro, Paolo, 1995. "Corruption and Growth," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 110(3), pages 681-712, August.
- Konstantin Sonin, 2003.
"Why the Rich May Favor Poor Protection of Property Rights,"
w0022, Center for Economic and Financial Research (CEFIR).
- Sonin, Konstantin, 2003. "Why the rich may favor poor protection of property rights," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 31(4), pages 715-731, December.
- Konstantin Sonin, 2002. "Why the Rich May Favor Poor Protection of Property Rights," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series 544, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Hartarska, Valentina M., 2001. "Investments And Property Rights In Russia: Evidence From Small Firms In Samara," 2001 Annual meeting, August 5-8, Chicago, IL 20739, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Aidis, Ruta & Estrin, Saul & Mickiewicz, Tomasz, 2009.
"Entrepreneurial Entry: Which Institutions Matter?,"
IZA Discussion Papers
4123, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Oguzhan Dincer, 2007. "The effects of property rights on economic performance," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 39(7), pages 825-837.
- Andrea Asoni, 2008.
"Protection Of Property Rights And Growth As Political Equilibria,"
Journal of Economic Surveys,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 22(5), pages 953-987, December.
- Asoni, Andrea, 2008. "Protection of Property Rights and Growth as Political Equilibria," Working Paper Series 737, Research Institute of Industrial Economics.
- Kaufmann, Daniel & Kraay, Aart & Mastruzzi, Massimo, 2010. "The worldwide governance indicators : methodology and analytical issues," Policy Research Working Paper Series 5430, The World Bank.
- Andrei Shleifer & Daniel Treisman, 2001. "Without a Map: Political Tactics and Economic Reform in Russia," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262692694, June.
- Simon Johnson & John McMillan & Christopher Woodruff, 2002.
"Property Rights and Finance,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 92(5), pages 1335-1356, December.
- Goriaev, Alexei P. & Sonin, Konstantin, 2005. "Is Political Risk Company-Specific? The Market Side of the Yukos Affair," CEPR Discussion Papers 5076, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Leonid Polishchuk & Alexei Savvateev, 2004. "Spontaneous (non)emergence of property rights," The Economics of Transition, The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, vol. 12(1), pages 103-127, 03.
- Olga Lazareva & Andrei Rachinsky & Sergey Stepanov, 2007. "A Survey of Corporate Governance in Russia," Working Papers w0103, Center for Economic and Financial Research (CEFIR).
- Cameron, A Colin & Trivedi, Pravin K, 1986. "Econometric Models Based on Count Data: Comparisons and Applications of Some Estimators and Tests," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 1(1), pages 29-53, January.
- Shleifer, Andrei, 1997.
"Government in transition,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 41(3-5), pages 385-410, April.
- Andrei Shleifer, 1996. "Government in Transition," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1783, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- George R. G. Clarke, 2001. "How institutional quality and economic factors impact technological deepening in developing countries," Journal of International Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 13(8), pages 1097-1118.
- Stephen Knack & Philip Keefer, 1995. "Institutions And Economic Performance: Cross-Country Tests Using Alternative Institutional Measures," Economics and Politics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 7(3), pages 207-227, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jcecon:v:41:y:2013:i:1:p:245-264. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.