Integrating agency and resource dependence theory: Firm profitability, industry regulation, and board task performance
Download full text from publisher
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
- G. Tyge Payne & George S. Benson & David L. Finegold, 2009. "Corporate Board Attributes, Team Effectiveness and Financial Performance," Journal of Management Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 46(4), pages 704-731, June.
- Fama, Eugene F & Jensen, Michael C, 1983. "Separation of Ownership and Control," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 26(2), pages 301-325, June.
- Erik J. O'Donoghue, 2004. "The construction of a firm's governance structure in a setting of uncertainty," Managerial and Decision Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 25(5), pages 221-229.
- Gavin J. Nicholson & Geoffrey C. Kiel, 2004. "A Framework for Diagnosing Board Effectiveness," Corporate Governance: An International Review, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 12(4), pages 442-460, October.
- Luca Enriques & Paolo Volpin, 2007. "Corporate Governance Reforms in Continental Europe," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 21(1), pages 117-140, Winter.
- Gales, Lawrence M. & Kesner, Idalene F., 1994. "An analysis of board of director size and composition in bankrupt organizations," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 30(3), pages 271-282, July.
- Larcker, David F. & Rusticus, Tjomme O., 2010. "On the use of instrumental variables in accounting research," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 49(3), pages 186-205, April.
- Amy J. Hillman & Albert A. Cannella & Ramona L. Paetzold, 2000. "The Resource Dependence Role of Corporate Directors: Strategic Adaptation of Board Composition in Response to Environmental Change," Journal of Management Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 37(2), pages 235-256, March.
- Mueller, George C. & Barker III, Vincent L., 1997. "Upper Echelons and Board Characteristics of Turnaround and Nonturnaround Declining Firms," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 39(2), pages 119-134, June.
- Alessandro Zattoni & Francesca Cuomo, 2008. "Why Adopt Codes of Good Governance? A Comparison of Institutional and Efficiency Perspectives," Corporate Governance: An International Review, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 16(1), pages 1-15, January.
- Brick, Ivan E. & Chidambaran, N.K., 2010. "Board meetings, committee structure, and firm value," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 16(4), pages 533-553, September.
- Le, Son Anh & Walters, Bruce & Kroll, Mark, 2006. "The moderating effects of external monitors on the relationship between R&D spending and firm performance," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 59(2), pages 278-287, February.
- Jeroen Van Den Heuvel & Anita Van Gils & Wim Voordeckers, 2006. "Board Roles in Small and Medium‐Sized Family Businesses: performance and importance," Corporate Governance: An International Review, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 14(5), pages 467-485, September.
- William B. Stevenson & Robert F. Radin, 2009. "Social Capital and Social Influence on the Board of Directors," Journal of Management Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 46(1), pages 16-44, January.
- Pugliese, A. & Bezemer, P.J. & Zattoni, A. & Huse, M. & van den Bosch, F.A.J. & Volberda, H.W., 2009. "Boards of Directors’ Contribution to Strategy: A Literature Review and Research Agenda," ERIM Report Series Research in Management ERS-2009-013-STR, Erasmus Research Institute of Management (ERIM), ERIM is the joint research institute of the Rotterdam School of Management, Erasmus University and the Erasmus School of Economics (ESE) at Erasmus University Rotterdam.
- Becher, David A. & Frye, Melissa B., 2011. "Does regulation substitute or complement governance?," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 35(3), pages 736-751, March.
- Robert H. Chenhall & Frank Moers, 2007. "The Issue of Endogeneity within Theory-Based, Quantitative Management Accounting Research," European Accounting Review, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 16(1), pages 173-196.
- Bhagat, Sanjai & Bolton, Brian, 2008. "Corporate governance and firm performance," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 14(3), pages 257-273, June.
- Nicholson, Gavin & Newton, Cameron, 2010. "The role of the board of directors: Perceptions of managerial elites," Journal of Management & Organization, Cambridge University Press, vol. 16(2), pages 204-218, May.
- Booth, James R. & Cornett, Marcia Millon & Tehranian, Hassan, 2002. "Boards of directors, ownership, and regulation," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 26(10), pages 1973-1996, October.
- A. Colin Cameron & Pravin K. Trivedi, 2010. "Microeconometrics Using Stata, Revised Edition," Stata Press books, StataCorp LP, number musr, April.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Dugan, Michael T. & Turner, Elizabeth H. & Thompson, Mark A. & Murray, Susan M., 2017. "Measuring the financial impact of environmental regulations on the trucking industry," Research in Accounting Regulation, Elsevier, vol. 29(2), pages 152-158.
- YAGLI, Ibrahim & ŞİMŞEK, Burcu, 2017. "Meta-Analytic Review Of The Relation Between Board Globalization And Firm Performance," Studii Financiare (Financial Studies), Centre of Financial and Monetary Research "Victor Slavescu", vol. 21(2), pages 31-55.
- Groza, Mark D. & Groza, Mya Pronschinske, 2018. "Salesperson regulatory knowledge and sales performance," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 89(C), pages 37-46.
- Fauziah Mahat & Noor Azman Ali, 2015. "The Roles of Risk Governance on Islamic Banking Systems," Proceedings of International Academic Conferences 2705187, International Institute of Social and Economic Sciences.
- Dominik van Aaken & Maximilian Göbel & Daniel Meindl, 2020. "Monitor or Advise? How Family Involvement Affects Supervisory Board Roles in Family Firms," Schmalenbach Business Review, Springer;Schmalenbach-Gesellschaft, vol. 72(2), pages 193-224, April.
- Anokhin, Sergey & Peck, Simon & Wincent, Joakim, 2016. "Corporate venture capital: The role of governance factors," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 69(11), pages 4744-4749.
- Bauweraerts, Jonathan & Colot, Olivier, 2017. "Exploring nonlinear effects of family involvement in the board on entrepreneurial orientation," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 70(C), pages 185-192.
- Tao, Qizhi & Li, Haoyu & Wu, Qun & Zhang, Ting & Zhu, Yingjun, 2019. "The dark side of board network centrality: Evidence from merger performance," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 104(C), pages 215-232.
- Susanne Hügel & Markus Kreutzer & Nico B. Rottke, 2019. "Firm Innovativeness In Service Industries: A Construct Validation In The External Environment And Industry Structure Contexts," International Journal of Innovation Management (ijim), World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd., vol. 23(06), pages 1-57, August.
- Alessandro Hinna & Fabio Monteduro, 2017. "Boards, governance and value creation in grant-giving foundations," Journal of Management & Governance, Springer;Accademia Italiana di Economia Aziendale (AIDEA), vol. 21(4), pages 935-961, December.
- Chen, Xu & Yang, Huan & Wang, Xiaojun, 2019. "Effects of price cap regulation on the pharmaceutical supply chain," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 97(C), pages 281-290.
- José-Luis Godos-Díez & Laura Cabeza-García & Daniel Alonso-Martínez & Roberto Fernández-Gago, 2018. "Factors influencing board of directors’ decision-making process as determinants of CSR engagement," Review of Managerial Science, Springer, vol. 12(1), pages 229-253, January.
- Rahul Nilakantan & Deepak Iyengar & Samar K. Datta & Shashank Rao, 0. "On Ethical Violations in Microfinance Backed Small Businesses: Family and Household Welfare," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 0, pages 1-18.
- Dulyak, Yulia (Дуляк, Юлия), 2015. "Empirical Analysis of the Boards of Directors’ Impact on the Corporate Performance of Russian Companies [Эмпирический Анализ Влияния Советов Директоров На Финансовые Результаты Деятельности Российс," Economic Policy, Russian Presidential Academy of National Economy and Public Administration, vol. 1, pages 126-148, February.
More about this item
KeywordsBoard accountability; Board task performance; Resource dependency theory board monitoring; Attention based view; Contingency view;
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jbrese:v:67:y:2014:i:6:p:1189-1200. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Haili He). General contact details of provider: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/jbusres .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.