Market orientation in the context of SMEs: A conceptual framework
A number of studies in the marketing literature have examined the construct of market orientation (MO). These studies generally show a positive link between MO and organizational performance. This paper examines MO specifically in the context of small and medium sized enterprises (SMEs). An in-depth review of the extant literature is used to develop a conceptual framework by exploring the major antecedents of MO, the MO–Performance relationship, and the key mediators and environmental moderators of this relationship. This paper also examines several studies on SMEs with respect to various aspects of this framework and offers suggestions for future research in order to understand more thoroughly how MO influences SME performance.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 64 (2011)
Issue (Month): 12 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/jbusres|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Olavarrieta, Sergio & Friedmann, Roberto, 2008. "Market orientation, knowledge-related resources and firm performance," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 61(6), pages 623-630, June.
- Atuahene-Gima, Kwaku, 1996. "Market orientation and innovation," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 35(2), pages 93-103, February.
- P. George Benson & Jayant V. Saraph & Roger G. Schroeder, 1991. "The Effects of Organizational Context on Quality Management: An Empirical Investigation," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 37(9), pages 1107-1124, September.
- Coviello, Nicole E. & Brodie, Roderick J. & Munro, Hugh J., 2000. "An investigation of marketing practice by firm size," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 15(5-6), pages 523-545.
- Morris, Michael H. & Paul, Gordon W., 1987. "The relationship between entrepreneurship and marketing in established firms," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 2(3), pages 247-259.
- P.S. Raju & Subhash Lonial & Yash Gupta & Craig Ziegler, 2000. "The relationship between market orientation and performance in the hospital industry: A structural equations modeling approach," Health Care Management Science, Springer, vol. 3(3), pages 237-247, June.
- Gülşen Akman & Cengiz Yilmaz, 2008. "Innovative Capability, Innovation Strategy And Market Orientation: An Empirical Analysis In Turkish Software Industry," International Journal of Innovation Management (ijim), World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd., vol. 12(01), pages 69-111.
- Ghosh, B. C. & Liang, Tan Wee & Meng, Tan Teck & Chan, Ben, 2001. "The key success factors, distinctive capabilities, and strategic thrusts of top SMEs in Singapore," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 51(3), pages 209-221, March.
- Acs, Zoltan J & Audretsch, David B, 1987. "Innovation, Market Structure, and Firm Size," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 69(4), pages 567-574, November.
- Paul D. Ellis, 2006. "Market Orientation and Performance: A Meta-Analysis and Cross-National Comparisons," Journal of Management Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 43(5), pages 1089-1107, 07.
- Levy, Margi & Powell, Philip, 1998. "SME Flexibility and the Role of Information Systems," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 11(2), pages 183-196, September.
- Danny Miller, 1983. "The Correlates of Entrepreneurship in Three Types of Firms," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 29(7), pages 770-791, July.
- Lukas, Bryan A., 1999. "Strategic Type, Market Orientation, and the Balance between Adaptability and Adaptation," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 45(2), pages 147-156, June.
- Avlonitis, George J. & Salavou, Helen E., 2007. "Entrepreneurial orientation of SMEs, product innovativeness, and performance," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 60(5), pages 566-575, May.
- Pelham, Alfred M., 1999. "Influence of Environment, Strategy, and Market Orientation on Performance in Small Manufacturing Firms," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 45(1), pages 33-46, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jbrese:v:64:y:2011:i:12:p:1320-1326. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.