Market orientation in the context of SMEs: A conceptual framework
A number of studies in the marketing literature have examined the construct of market orientation (MO). These studies generally show a positive link between MO and organizational performance. This paper examines MO specifically in the context of small and medium sized enterprises (SMEs). An in-depth review of the extant literature is used to develop a conceptual framework by exploring the major antecedents of MO, the MO–Performance relationship, and the key mediators and environmental moderators of this relationship. This paper also examines several studies on SMEs with respect to various aspects of this framework and offers suggestions for future research in order to understand more thoroughly how MO influences SME performance.
Volume (Year): 64 (2011)
Issue (Month): 12 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/jbusres|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- P. George Benson & Jayant V. Saraph & Roger G. Schroeder, 1991. "The Effects of Organizational Context on Quality Management: An Empirical Investigation," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 37(9), pages 1107-1124, September.
- Ghosh, B. C. & Liang, Tan Wee & Meng, Tan Teck & Chan, Ben, 2001. "The key success factors, distinctive capabilities, and strategic thrusts of top SMEs in Singapore," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 51(3), pages 209-221, March.
- Paul D. Ellis, 2006. "Market Orientation and Performance: A Meta-Analysis and Cross-National Comparisons," Journal of Management Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 43(5), pages 1089-1107, July.
- Danny Miller, 1983. "The Correlates of Entrepreneurship in Three Types of Firms," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 29(7), pages 770-791, July.
- Levy, Margi & Powell, Philip, 1998. "SME Flexibility and the Role of Information Systems," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 11(2), pages 183-196, September.
- Acs, Zoltan J & Audretsch, David B, 1987. "Innovation, Market Structure, and Firm Size," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 69(4), pages 567-574, November.
- repec:wsi:ijimxx:v:12:y:2008:i:01:n:s1363919608001923 is not listed on IDEAS
- Avlonitis, George J. & Salavou, Helen E., 2007. "Entrepreneurial orientation of SMEs, product innovativeness, and performance," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 60(5), pages 566-575, May.
- Pelham, Alfred M., 1999. "Influence of Environment, Strategy, and Market Orientation on Performance in Small Manufacturing Firms," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 45(1), pages 33-46, May.
- Coviello, Nicole E. & Brodie, Roderick J. & Munro, Hugh J., 2000. "An investigation of marketing practice by firm size," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 15(5-6), pages 523-545.
- P.S. Raju & Subhash Lonial & Yash Gupta & Craig Ziegler, 2000. "The relationship between market orientation and performance in the hospital industry: A structural equations modeling approach," Health Care Management Science, Springer, vol. 3(3), pages 237-247, June.
- Olavarrieta, Sergio & Friedmann, Roberto, 2008. "Market orientation, knowledge-related resources and firm performance," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 61(6), pages 623-630, June.
- Morris, Michael H. & Paul, Gordon W., 1987. "The relationship between entrepreneurship and marketing in established firms," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 2(3), pages 247-259.
- Atuahene-Gima, Kwaku, 1996. "Market orientation and innovation," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 35(2), pages 93-103, February.
- Lukas, Bryan A., 1999. "Strategic Type, Market Orientation, and the Balance between Adaptability and Adaptation," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 45(2), pages 147-156, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jbrese:v:64:y:2011:i:12:p:1320-1326. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.