Flexible dependence modeling of operational risk losses and its impact on total capital requirements
Operational risk data, when available, are usually scarce, heavy-tailed and possibly dependent. In this work, we introduce a model that captures such real-world characteristics and explicitly deals with heterogeneous pairwise and tail dependence of losses. By considering flexible families of copulas, we can easily move beyond modeling bivariate dependence among losses and estimate the total risk capital for the seven- and eight-dimensional distributions of event types and business lines. Using real-world data, we then evaluate the impact of realistic dependence modeling on estimating the total regulatory capital, which turns out to be up to 38% smaller than what the standard Basel approach would prescribe.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Aas, Kjersti & Czado, Claudia & Frigessi, Arnoldo & Bakken, Henrik, 2009. "Pair-copula constructions of multiple dependence," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 44(2), pages 182-198, April.
- Joe, Harry & Li, Haijun & Nikoloulopoulos, Aristidis K., 2010. "Tail dependence functions and vine copulas," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 101(1), pages 252-270, January.
- repec:sae:ecolab:v:16:y:2006:i:2:p:1-2 is not listed on IDEAS
- Brechmann, Eike Christian & Schepsmeier, Ulf, 2013. "Modeling Dependence with C- and D-Vine Copulas: The R Package CDVine," Journal of Statistical Software, Foundation for Open Access Statistics, vol. 52(i03).
- Anastasios Panagiotelis & Claudia Czado & Harry Joe, 2012. "Pair Copula Constructions for Multivariate Discrete Data," Journal of the American Statistical Association, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 107(499), pages 1063-1072, September.
- Dißmann, J. & Brechmann, E.C. & Czado, C. & Kurowicka, D., 2013. "Selecting and estimating regular vine copulae and application to financial returns," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 59(C), pages 52-69.
- Philippe Artzner & Freddy Delbaen & Jean-Marc Eber & David Heath, 1999. "Coherent Measures of Risk," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 9(3), pages 203-228.
- Nikolay Nenovsky & S. Statev, 2006. "Introduction," Post-Print halshs-00260898, HAL.
- Partha Deb & Pravin K. Trivedi & David M. Zimmer, 2009.
"Dynamic Cost-offsets of Prescription Drug Expenditures: Panel Data Analysis Using a Copula-based Hurdle Model,"
NBER Working Papers
15191, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Deb P & Trivedi PK & Zimmer DM, 2009. "Dynamic Cost-offsets of Prescription Drug Expenditures: Panel Data Analysis Using a Copula-based Hurdle Model," Health, Econometrics and Data Group (HEDG) Working Papers 09/15, HEDG, c/o Department of Economics, University of York.
- Chavez-Demoulin, V. & Embrechts, P. & Neslehova, J., 2006. "Quantitative models for operational risk: Extremes, dependence and aggregation," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 30(10), pages 2635-2658, October.
- Frachot, Antoine & Roncalli, Thierry & Salomon, Eric, 2004. "The Correlation Problem in Operational Risk," MPRA Paper 38052, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Chapelle, Ariane & Crama, Yves & Hübner, Georges & Peters, Jean-Philippe, 2008. "Practical methods for measuring and managing operational risk in the financial sector: A clinical study," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 32(6), pages 1049-1061, June.
- Georges Hübner & Jean-Philippe Peters, 2008. "Practical methods for measuring and managing operational risk in the financial sector: a clinical study," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/14158, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Xiaolin Luo & Pavel V. Shevchenko, 2007. "The t copula with Multiple Parameters of Degrees of Freedom: Bivariate Characteristics and Application to Risk Management," Papers 0710.3959, arXiv.org, revised Feb 2010.
- Xiaolin Luo & Pavel Shevchenko, 2010. "The t copula with multiple parameters of degrees of freedom: bivariate characteristics and application to risk management," Quantitative Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 10(9), pages 1039-1054.
- Stefan Mittnik & Sandra Paterlini & Tina Yener, 2011. "Operational–risk Dependencies and the Determination of Risk Capital," Center for Economic Research (RECent) 070, University of Modena and Reggio E., Dept. of Economics "Marco Biagi".
- Grogger, J T & Carson, Richard T, 1991. "Models for Truncated Counts," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 6(3), pages 225-238, July-Sept.
- Hofert, Marius & Mächler, Martin & McNeil, Alexander J., 2012. "Likelihood inference for Archimedean copulas in high dimensions under known margins," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 110(C), pages 133-150. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)