Constructing narrowest pathwise bootstrap prediction bands using threshold accepting
Typically, prediction bands for path-forecasts are constructed pointwise, while inference relates to the whole forecasted path. In general, no closed form analytical solution is available for pathwise bands in finite samples. We consider a direct construction approach based on bootstrapped prediction bands. The resulting highly complex optimization problem is tackled using the local search heuristic of threshold accepting. A comparison with pointwise and asymptotic bands is provided, demonstrating superior properties of the proposed bands in small samples. Finally, a real application shows the practical implications of using an appropriate tool for generating the prediction bands.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 29 (2013)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/ijforecast|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Matei Demetrescu & Uwe Hassler & Vladimir Kuzin, 2011. "Pitfalls of post-model-selection testing: experimental quantification," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 40(2), pages 359-372, April.
- Òscar Jordà & Massimiliano Marcellino, 2010.
"Path forecast evaluation,"
Journal of Applied Econometrics,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 25(4), pages 635-662.
- Jordà, Òscar & Marcellino, Massimiliano, 2008. "Path Forecast Evaluation," CEPR Discussion Papers 7009, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Òscar Jordà & Massimiliano Marcellino, 2008. "Path Forecast Evaluation," Economics Working Papers ECO2008/34, European University Institute.
- Oscar Jorda & Massimiliano Marcellino, 2008. "Path Forecast Evaluation," Working Papers 85, University of California, Davis, Department of Economics.
- Jae H. Kim, 2004. "Bias-corrected bootstrap prediction regions for vector autoregression," Journal of Forecasting, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 23(2), pages 141-154.
- Anna Staszewska‐Bystrova, 2011. "Bootstrap prediction bands for forecast paths from vector autoregressive models," Journal of Forecasting, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 30(8), pages 721-735, December.
- Pascual, Lorenzo & Romo, Juan & Ruiz, Esther, 2001. "Effects of parameter estimation on prediction densities: a bootstrap approach," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 17(1), pages 83-103.
- Ruiz, Esther & Romo, Juan & Pascual, L., 1999. "Effects of parameter estimation on prediction densities a bootstrap approach," DES - Working Papers. Statistics and Econometrics. WS 6304, Universidad Carlos III de Madrid. Departamento de Estadística.
- Schwert, G William, 2002. "Tests for Unit Roots: A Monte Carlo Investigation," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 20(1), pages 5-17, January.
- Schwert, G William, 1989. "Tests for Unit Roots: A Monte Carlo Investigation," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 7(2), pages 147-159, April.
- G. William Schwert, 1988. "Tests For Unit Roots: A Monte Carlo Investigation," NBER Technical Working Papers 0073, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Staszewska, Anna, 2007. "Representing uncertainty about response paths: The use of heuristic optimisation methods," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 52(1), pages 121-132, September.
- Anna Staszewska, 2006. "Representing Uncertainty about Response Paths: the Use of Heuristic Optimisation Methods," Computing in Economics and Finance 2006 379, Society for Computational Economics.
- Winker, Peter & Fang, Kai-Tai, 1995. "Application of threshold accepting to the evaluation of the discrepancy of a set of points," Discussion Papers, Series II 248, University of Konstanz, Collaborative Research Centre (SFB) 178 "Internationalization of the Economy".
- Busch, Ulrike & Scharnagl, Michael & Scheithauer, Jan, 2010. "Loan supply in Germany during the financial crisis," Discussion Paper Series 1: Economic Studies 2010,05, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
- Peter Winker & Dietmar Maringer, 2009. "The convergence of estimators based on heuristics: theory and application to a GARCH model," Computational Statistics, Springer, vol. 24(3), pages 533-550, August.
- Clements, Michael P. & Kim, Jae H., 2007. "Bootstrap prediction intervals for autoregressive time series," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 51(7), pages 3580-3594, April.
- James H. Stock & Mark W. Watson, 2001. "Vector Autoregressions," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 15(4), pages 101-115, Fall.
- Demetrescu, Matei & Kuzin, Vladimir & Hassler, Uwe, 2008. "Long Memory Testing In The Time Domain," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 24(01), pages 176-215, February.
- Fitzenberger, Bernd & Winker, Peter, 2007. "Improving the computation of censored quantile regressions," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 52(1), pages 88-108, September.
- Fitzenberger, Bernd & Winker, Peter, 1999. "Improving the Computation of Censored Quantile Regressions," Discussion Papers 568, Institut fuer Volkswirtschaftslehre und Statistik, Abteilung fuer Volkswirtschaftslehre.
- Kim, Jae H., 1999. "Asymptotic and bootstrap prediction regions for vector autoregression," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 15(4), pages 393-403, October.
- Kilian, Lutz, 2001. "Impulse Response Analysis in Vector Autoregressions with Unknown Lag Order," Journal of Forecasting, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 20(3), pages 161-179, April.
- Fresoli, Diego & Ruiz, Esther & Pascual, Lorenzo, 2011. "Bootstrap forecast of multivariate VAR models without using the backward representation," DES - Working Papers. Statistics and Econometrics. WS ws113426, Universidad Carlos III de Madrid. Departamento de Estadística. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)