An analysis of inflation and stock returns for the UK
Whether common stocks provide a hedge against inflation has been long debated. This paper focuses on this question by investigating the relationship between inflation and stock returns in the short term and medium term and under different inflationary regimes using the UK data. Empirical evidence suggests that the UK stock market fails to hedge against inflation in the short term. However, in the medium term there is mixed results. Results from different inflationary regimes show that the relationship between inflation and returns varies in different regimes.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 20 (2010)
Issue (Month): 5 (December)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/intfin|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jushan Bai & Pierre Perron, 1998.
"Estimating and Testing Linear Models with Multiple Structural Changes,"
Econometric Society, vol. 66(1), pages 47-78, January.
- Perron, P. & Bai, J., 1995. "Estimating and Testing Linear Models with Multiple Structural Changes," Cahiers de recherche 9552, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Perron, P. & Bai, J., 1995. "Estimating and Testing Linear Models with Multiple Structural Changes," Cahiers de recherche 9552, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en économie quantitative, CIREQ.
- Kul B. Luintel & Krishna Paudyal, 2006. "Are Common Stocks A Hedge Against Inflation?," Journal of Financial Research, Southern Finance Association;Southwestern Finance Association, vol. 29(1), pages 1-19.
- Goodhart, Charles A E & Smith, Richard G, 1985. "The Impact of News on Financial Markets in the United Kingdom: A Note," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 17(4), pages 507-511, November.
- Amihud, Yakov, 1996. "Unexpected Inflation and Stock Returns Revisited--Evidence from Israel," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 28(1), pages 22-33, February.
- Michael Joyce & Vicky Read, 2002. "Asset price reactions to RPI announcements," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 12(4), pages 253-270.
- M A S Joyce & V Read, 1999. "Asset price reactions to RPI announcements," Bank of England working papers 94, Bank of England.
- De Alessi, Louis, 1975. "Do Business Firms Gain from Inflation? Reprise," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 48(2), pages 264-266, April.
- Greg Adams & Grant McQueen & Robert Wood, 2004. "The Effects of Inflation News on High Frequency Stock Returns," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 77(3), pages 547-574, July.
- Shawky, Hany A. & Marathe, Achla, 1995. "Expected stock returns and volatility in a two-regime market," Journal of Economics and Business, Elsevier, vol. 47(5), pages 409-421, December.
- Schwert, G William, 1981. "The Adjustment of Stock Prices to Information about Inflation," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 36(1), pages 15-29, March.
- Fama, Eugene F, 1981. "Stock Returns, Real Activity, Inflation, and Money," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 71(4), pages 545-565, September.
- Michael Graham & Jussi Nikkinen & Petri Sahlström, 2003. "Relative importance of scheduled macroeconomic news for stock market investors," Journal of Economics and Finance, Springer;Academy of Economics and Finance, vol. 27(2), pages 153-165, June.
- Bodie, Zvi, 1976. "Common Stocks as a Hedge against Inflation," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 31(2), pages 459-470, May.
- Anari, Ali & Kolari, James, 2001. "Stock Prices and Inflation," Journal of Financial Research, Southern Finance Association;Southwestern Finance Association, vol. 24(4), pages 587-602, Winter. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:intfin:v:20:y:2010:i:5:p:519-532. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.