Using quantile regression for rate-making
Regression models are popular tools for rate-making in the framework of heterogeneous insurance portfolios; however, the traditional regression methods have some disadvantages particularly their sensitivity to the assumptions which significantly restrict the area of their applications. This paper is devoted to an alternative approach-quantile regression. It is free of some disadvantages of the traditional models. The quality of estimators for the approach described is approximately the same as or sometimes better than that for the traditional regression methods. Moreover, the quantile regression is consistent with the idea of using the distribution quantile for rate-making. This paper provides detailed comparisons between the approaches and it gives the practical example of using the new methodology.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Robert F. Engle & Simone Manganelli, 1999. "CAViaR: Conditional Value at Risk by Quantile Regression," NBER Working Papers 7341, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- de Jong,Piet & Heller,Gillian Z., 2008. "Generalized Linear Models for Insurance Data," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521879149.
- Koenker, Roger W & Bassett, Gilbert, Jr, 1978. "Regression Quantiles," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 46(1), pages 33-50, January.
- Roger Koenker & Kevin F. Hallock, 2001.
Journal of Economic Perspectives,
American Economic Association, vol. 15(4), pages 143-156, Fall.
- Rousseeuw, P. & Daniels, B. & Leroy, A., 1984. "Applying robust regression to insurance," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 3(1), pages 67-72, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:insuma:v:45:y:2009:i:2:p:296-304. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.